Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clear title from my grandpa with a cab for a 53 chevy farm truck. I would like to build a pickup around it. The title is from the 60s and has a gvwr of 12000. Will this raise flags at the dmv when i send for hobbyist plates or not? If it will how do i go about changing the weight rating?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone must have had this issue before. I dont think they would have any idea as it doesn't say commercial anyway, but since you have to send your money, pics, and title out to get special plates i dont want any suprises.

·
Registered
28,544 Posts
What's the purpose of the special plate. Can't put a regular tag on it ?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
In Missouri they only look at the numbers after the $ if it is enough they don't look any farther. I have a 1 1/2 ton truck but title shows 5800 pounds. No one questioned it when I put historic plates on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Missouri they only look at the numbers after the $ if it is enough they don't look any farther. I have a 1 1/2 ton truck but title shows 5800 pounds. No one questioned it when I put historic plates on it.
Thanks. I was wondering this. If i remember right when i plated the el camino i had to specify a weight not to exceed. So youre saying if i put say 4500 pounds down and pay the money for that tag, based on your experience it might go through regardless of the title saying 12000? I guess i just wonder due to having to send pics they may question it because it has a pickup box on it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
go have it weighted at a local scrap yard that has certified scales. Take the weight slip with you and that should be all you need.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
go have it weighted at a local scrap yard that has certified scales. Take the weight slip with you and that should be all you need.
How would that work??? He asking about the GVW = truck + load can not be more then 12,000lbs... OP I would call your DMV to get a correct answer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weight slip is no problem as i work at a gravel pit, but are you suggesting i can get it changed at my local dmv? Special plates are all by mail.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would that work??? He asking about the GVW = truck + load can not be more then 12,000lbs... OP I would call your DMV to get a correct answer.
He may not be wrong though as with special plates you can only haul 500lbs i believe so you give them the weight when you send in the paperwork. I personally dont care about the number im just afraid they are going to think something shady is going on because to you and me its obvious a title for an old pickup will not have that high of a gvw, maybe not something they would catch. I just dont want to get caught in any sort of back and forth with the govt. That being said i am asking how to get a gvw changed on a title, if possible. I get nervous sending a title in the mail and would like it to just sail through with no suprises.

Thanks for all the input so far!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I find it funny you think anyone at the DMV would have any idea what the GVW of a 53 farm truck would be. They don't give a shit about things like that. Hell my dad has a C cab registered as an S-10. Told the DMV he built it on an S10 chassis.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find it funny you think anyone at the DMV would have any idea what the GVW of a 53 farm truck would be. They don't give a shit about things like that. Hell my dad has a C cab registered as an S-10. Told the DMV he built it on an S10 chassis.
Honestly that was my first thought, i am just a bit apprehensive and trying to cover all the bases. Did your dad have to have it inspected by a state trooper then?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You can prob downgrade the GVW, I did on my old rollback

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Honestly that was my first thought, i am just a bit apprehensive and trying to cover all the bases. Did your dad have to have it inspected by a state trooper then?

Nope, told the DMV what he did, provided insurance papers and got a tag. Fl is a bit of a bitch to deal with on motor vehicles too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate the help guys. I went to the dmv just to put it in my name, she asked if it was a pickup. I said yes so now i have a clear title for a 53 chevy pickup. You were right raid, i worried way too much. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts