Yellow Bullet Forums banner

2901 - 2919 of 2919 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I think the money hurt as much as it helped. The big prize and sponsor money brought a level of professionalism that also squeezed out new aspirants, as well as guys who were active but not "heavy hitters." It hasn't helped that NHRA has regularly been its own worst enemy. They have seemed to regularly forget that people like us have always been what keeps the sport afloat. Instead, they spent a lot of time and effort focused on the guy who looks at the LA Times sports section on Friday, and says "Lets go check out the drag racing at Pomona, kids."
Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but they did so while ignoring the bracket racers and bottom end of the sportsman classes, squeezing them out even. This has only served to thin the crowds. It used to be an Alberta tradition (and probably a dozen snow states as well) to bump into people in the stands at the Winters that you hadn't seen since the frost chased us off the track. To my knowledge, that's not nearly the case any more.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think the money hurt as much as it helped. The big prize and sponsor money brought a level of professionalism that also squeezed out new aspirants, as well as guys who were active but not "heavy hitters." It hasn't helped that NHRA has regularly been its own worst enemy. They have seemed to regularly forget that people like us have always been what keeps the sport afloat. Instead, they spent a lot of time and effort focused on the guy who looks at the LA Times sports section on Friday, and says "Lets go check out the drag racing at Pomona, kids."
Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but they did so while ignoring the bracket racers and bottom end of the sportsman classes, squeezing them out even. This has only served to thin the crowds. It used to be an Alberta tradition (and probably a dozen snow states as well) to bump into people in the stands at the Winters that you hadn't seen since the frost chased us off the track. To my knowledge, that's not nearly the case any more.
I'm not going to say that you are wrong... Just that you have defined a symptom, not diagnosed a condition...

2901 - 2919 of 2919 Posts