Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the trick to changing these things?

One bearing has about .020" behind it but the other it up tight against the rotor. Is there some sort of collet based puller or something? I really don't want to have to grind or cut them off.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got it. It was the shaft seal that failed and started leaking on the belts. When it went the motor and bearing got wet and rusted things up. I got it all cleaned up. The brushes were good but the bearings and seal were wasted. The housing gasket was toast as well. I got some gasket material and cut a nice new one. The seal was found for about $8 and Napa as were the bearings for $50 for the pair. I got a small bearing puller and what I did was cut a nice sharp groove in the bearing races across from each other for the bearing separator to get a bite. I then drilled holes in a piece of flat bar to line up with the threaded holes in the bearing separator. I then just tightened the bolts up pulling the plate up against the shaft and pulled the bearings right off. When they got to where the shaft was flush I drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the flat bar and used it like a regular puller pushing on the shaft.

I pressed the new bearings on with my vise and a deep socket. Put it all back together with a little grease on the seal and she runs good as new. The side O-rings were the easiest part. Got those at NAPA too. 1" x .062" thick fit perfect. I should be good to go another 5 years or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts