Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Ol Heavy

16K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  1BadRail 
#1 ·
My buddies and I were discussing Memphis Street outlaws this morning. Who would hazard to guess how fast Old Heavy really is?

#5 ·
I clocked it with a stop watch when they came to our track. may have been maybe a tenth off but close. I was sitting dead on the finish line. Big tires 4.0's Small tires 4.50's in the eighth. They all ran those times except Dough boy was the slowest but still ran 4.70'S.

#35 ·
Well I can tell you without a doubt that truck is not making 4.0 passes. They had one of his arm drop deals here at Irwindale and only one of their cars made it to a final. The night before they did some grudge racing and Ol Heavy ran Andy Ralls who has the truck track record @ 4.82, Ol Heavy got it's ass wooped. The Big Tire track record here is a 4.47 set by Travers Scott, he won the race and made the Memphis people look very slow. The guy that runs the F1x-12 procharged Nova Hercules showed us his damn time slips and it was no where near a 4.0 or a 4.50 for that matter.
100% agree

#12 ·
This is why I was asking, I was involved in this conversation and we are going to have a bike class at JJs arm drop in Pine Valley on June 20th. I was proposing that the bike winner gets a shot at Old heavy

#15 ·
I was curious as well. Thats why I wanted to see how fast they were. Because I didnt think they were any where that fast either. Seen it with my own eyes. Boy was I wrong. I may have been as high as .2 off but no more than that. They were in the high side like 4.08 and 4.09. there was as guy there from no prep kings with a twin turbo billet Hemi in a mustang that beat him that I clocked at 4.0. This was on a track not the street.

#20 ·
Listen fellas. I couldn't give a flyin fuck. Believe what you want, I was there with a brand new stop watch. Why would I say that if It didn't happen. What, you think a digital stop watch is wrong. I could see the light turned green and was sitting dead on the finish line with three other guys. We all freaked out. None of us thought they were even close to that fast either. We thought i had not pushed the button fast enough so we changed person to person and got the same times or very close to. I'm not saying its exact but its dam close. Go race them. You'll see. This was on a prepped track, not on the street. Most of them were running high 4.50's on small tires, Dough Boy was the slowest @ high 4.70's. They were all running 29.5 x 10.5 non W on 12" wide rims the first day. That's what they consider small tires. Then the next day they ran big tires and dropped down that low.

#21 ·
Take the stopwatch, start and stop it as fast as you can....You'd be amazed at how slow you actually react when you think you're reacting very quickly. The difference between a 4.0 and a 4.7-5.0 1/8th isn't as much as you think...Big difference between a 4.8xx-5.0 car and a 4.0xx car...BIG DIFFERENCE........

#22 ·
Quick story to build on what you're saying.....

In my previous life as a springmaker, I was setting up a machine with a double-torsion spring for an interior center console lid. Two German fucks came to the plant to finalize the design during the set-up and brought a console with them. When I asked what the spec was going to be, one of these guys pulls out a stopwatch. When I asked what he was going to do with it, he said, "I'm going to time it from release to full-travel when the lid was completely open". Said that's how they were going to perform incoming inspection, and it was something ridiculously tight when it come to the tolerance. I told him I wasn't down for that because there will be entirely too much variation in the operator, but he disagreed.

When I went home for lunch, I grabbed my practice tree and took it back with me. When we all got back to the machine, I set the tree up and handed him the button. He had no clue what was going on. Told him to let go of the button at the flash and that we're going to do this 25 times. When he was done, his deviation was almost 8-times the proposed spec was going to allow. I said, "That's why this isn't going to work for an incoming inspection process".

I won't say the OP was missing it as far as everyone else is saying he missed it with Ol Heavy, just elaborating on your post, Colorado.

Sean D

#25 ·
In track and field it is typical to add .24 to any hand times to get an estimates electronic time. That is with people going 20-25 miles and hour. Human reaction is horrible when it comes to timing. Trying to time a drag car going 150-200 miles an hour with a stop watch is an exercise in futility. If you have a video at a track shot looking directly at the finish line it would be really easy to get an accurate time though. That is assuming the video isn't speed up or slowed down.

#28 ·
Well I can tell you without a doubt that truck is not making 4.0 passes. They had one of his arm drop deals here at Irwindale and only one of their cars made it to a final. The night before they did some grudge racing and Ol Heavy ran Andy Ralls who has the truck track record @ 4.82, Ol Heavy got it's ass wooped. The Big Tire track record here is a 4.47 set by Travers Scott, he won the race and made the Memphis people look very slow. The guy that runs the F1x-12 procharged Nova Hercules showed us his damn time slips and it was no where near a 4.0 or a 4.50 for that matter.

#29 ·
I don't know what to say to the guys with the stop watches. They "informed" me of what I ran at a test and tune night. They were a full second off what the slip said. I just stood there not knowing how to respond, I ended up just shrugging my shoulders and left them to their parading around with their new found information like they were "on to me".

I never really knew how to respond to those guys. Its like life and death shit to them and I was just experimenting with boost control settings.
Typically they are the street car ,street racing type guys, my car isn't anywhere close to a street car. I tried the street thing once with it, couldn't make it work so I just stick to the track, so I don't know why it's relevant to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.