Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Okay gang here it is (EV edition)

8K views 144 replies 31 participants last post by  austang 
#1 ·
Below is a video that goes into the subject of making the entire body of a vehicle the battery for EV applications.

I don’t think I need to explain this because if you’re really interested you’ll watch the video which goes into great detail.

What I would like to comment on however is the brilliance in this very obvious solution. Prior to this technology the outer skin was merely a placeholder for the paint. The inner structure more of a craggy mess of stamping and fasteners.

The crash structure in any vehicle is essentially dead weight until the very moment of impact if you think about it.

Putting that dead weight to work in such a profound was is incredibly huge. It’s a game changer and will make everything that came before it obsolete instantly provided the technology is sound.

There are other uses for vehicle skin like cooling for example. There is a space age looking EV vehicle called Aptera that has no coolers introduced into the aerodynamic design, it cools the battery fluids by a sort of capillary system bringing the coolant very close to the skin and eliminating heat that way.

Thirdly vehicle skin can be used as a photovoltaic medium to capture free energy to improve range or put in less need for active charging.

Also gang this type of thing isn’t just going on in the transportation sector. There is research going on now to develop structural building materials that act like or really are storage batteries.

I mean think of it gang a battery the size of a school or office building. Wow!

Anyhow I can already hear you haters can howl and moan and cling to your stupid gas guzzlin’ fuel pigs. I mean hey i agree they do make beautiful noise and in the case of you GM boys they certainly mark their spot.

Nah man I’m not gonna try to act all cool and resist the positives in the future. I’m gonna embrace it even though as far as participation in it the ship has probably sailed for me.

If you can handle the future watch the video. If you can’t then I will enjoy laughing at you as tomorrow unfolds at breakneck speed before our very eyes.

See less See more
#6 ·
Watched about half of it Henry, but the video was about as dumb as the idea. As stated, there cannot be batteries in crash parts of a vehicle, duh, we drive them, daily, and in close proximity to other vehicles, which means they are vulnerable to damage. Now, we all know you love EVs, maybe because Ford can’t build a decent ICE, or for some other reason, but the fact remain that they just aren’t feasible in the real world to many buyers.

#14 ·
Fair enough markets will dictate what technologies win out or at least I hope they do and to hell with government intervention.

Yes yes I know the libs love EV’s because it plays into their global warming narrative.

I’m interested in EV’s because they will bring a whole host of new characters to the fore. In my opinion there was quite a bit of stagnation among the legacy automakers. This will certainly wake them up.

I like the little dig about Ford and ICE though that was slick. You probably didn’t check the COTY and TOTY for 2021 yet. But hey who’s counting?

#7 ·
I don’t know guys. Fire hazard is certainly a concern but that mostly exists within certain battery chemistries.

I have a feeling the engineers are paying special attention to this very thing.

Like I said before if the engineering is sound this will become THE game changer in my view.

#8 ·
You think insurance rates are skyrocketing now??

Just wait.....it's in preparation for the future ass raping they want to normalize

#15 · (Edited)
An absolutely horrible idea to do this in passenger cars. Holy fuck it is a disaster waiting to happen. Cars made today have almost no thought given to service or repair them. Add batteries to the structure of the car....and engineers will put them in places that will unnecessarily complicate service/repairs. Cars in accidents wil be totalled out due to cost of repairs....then what will be done with the batteries? Will there be a way to recycle or reuse them? No thanks

#19 ·
Futuristic Concepts are always interesting to Jaw over...I think the Auto OEM's are jumping into the EV pool without resisting because of Profits.. Just as the Insurance Companies didn't complain about the Obama Care mandates,as the Government was mandating everyone purchase Health insurance and as such their Profits would be substantial . Similar scenario with the EV cars. I believe the EV cars are much cheaper to produce without hundreds of hard parts that are needed in an ICE vehicle..and the cost of the EV car will be more than what we are paying now, therefore profits will be higher than ever! and the OEM's aren't the Bad Guys, the Feds are. Not commenting on the merits of the cars, only the Business implications of when Government imposes its might on its Citizens... I think the Profits will be enormous ...The less resistance the higher the Profits... Funny how Big Business and Big Government are using each other to get what they want at our expense....

#22 ·
Hey guys what if bulkheads, deck lids cowls roof panels etc can serve as batteries?

I mean there are smart ways to do things maybe. Things that aren’t vulnerable to easy damage. Panels that are replaceable.

See this all brings me back to one of my first points that I like about EV’s. That is that these future vehicles will usher in tons of innovation. By their nature alone EV’s are making platform engineers salivate at the opportunities to be creative.

The most obvious first benefit is the “Frunk”.

Giggle if you wish but I could use an easy to load frunk in a vehicle I own like the F150 Lightning has.

Nothing is set in stone with these EV’s. I don’t understand the pushback. There’s some very cool things in the pipeline.

#23 ·
Panels are the are are inherently lightweight, and turning them into heavy, battery panels is pontless for several reasons, however, after reading your last paragraph, it seems there’s no point debating with you about this as your mind is made up…and you’re beyond help : )

#28 ·
I love people who think outside the box but battery technology itself will advance long before this totally impractical idea will ever come to pass. Look at what's been accomplished just over the last 10 years - there's now an EV (Lucid) on the market with a range of 500 miles that's been verified independently and in another 10 years range fear will likely be history. What the EV industry needs to work on more than anything is infrastructure.

#71 ·
You're absolutely right on both points. Solid state batteries will be the big advancement over the near term. Toyota has announced plans to use SSBs in a hybrid by '25, so we should expect to see them in EVs by '30 or so. Charging stations can be installed anywhere you have electricity, so they should increase at a significant rate over the next decade. As more EVs hit the road, more companies will be willing to invest in chargers. Once that happens, I think most people will willingly switch to EVs.

Reactions: HenryFloored
#33 ·
If you want to drive a new car in the future it will likely be just like a cell phone. Pay a service, and for the rental of the manufactures car for a period of time and then turn it in for a new one. They will be complete scraped and never sold again as used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.