Yellow Bullet Forums banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
16,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Listen P.S. guys anyone that’s a proponent of EV’s I think gets the hurdles you guys bring up.

You know my main interest in EV’s beyond how cool the technology is and how fast it’s moving is that I want to cheat this shitty assed banana republic government we have here in the states out of every dime I possibly can.

They no longer represent me or mine and don’t have my best interest in mind (with a few exceptions)

How are you guys not disgusted with what’s going on? You guys fucking bitch about the “doers” shaping the future but rarely land a glove on the actual problems we face.

Personal Solar + energy storage + vehicles that run off homegrown energy= screw “big brother“ for every dime I can.

Don’t worry crotchrocket I’m working on making it a reality for myself. What you do up there in Canada is your own business.

·
Registered
23,082 Posts
Oh so it’s ok to use a generator for a gas car but not a EV.
You really are clueless. The example is if the power goes out a gas station is dead….no….it’s not. It reguires very little power to lift a fluid up 20 feet from the ground and dispense it into a car.

it takes a LOT of generator power (and time) to generate an electrical refill into an EV! Is that so fucking hard to understand?

·
Registered
23,082 Posts
Listen P.S. guys anyone that’s a proponent of EV’s I think gets the hurdles you guys bring up.

You know my main interest in EV’s beyond how cool the technology is and how fast it’s moving is that I want to cheat this shitty assed banana republic government we have here in the states out of every dime I possibly can.

They no longer represent me or mine and don’t have my best interest in mind (with a few exceptions)

How are you guys not disgusted with what’s going on? You guys fucking bitch about the “doers” shaping the future but rarely land a glove on the actual problems we face.

Personal Solar + energy storage + vehicles that run off homegrown energy= screw “big brother“ for every dime I can.

Don’t worry crotchrocket I’m working on making it a reality for myself. What you do up there in Canada is your own business.
So you have a solar system that can generate significant power at your residence?

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,788 Posts
Tell that to a friend that bought a Tesla in Cali and drove it home to Ohio.

How about running OLOA (One Lap Of America) in a Tesla? It is possible just requires more careful planning. Stop every 200 miles/3 hours for a rest break, stretch your legs, fast charge for 30 minutes while grabbing a snack. Planned carefully that is an extra hour for a 600 mile trip. Using an ICE car with same room as a Tesla you'd have at least one stop for fuel. Even with a Toyota Avalon Hybrid @ 42 mpg and 13 gal tank, you only have 550 mile range.
Let's evaluate this "one off" experience to be fair
A hybrid or ICE can gas n go in 5-10 mins just about anywhere, no restrictions

Now for your friends EV travel....
#1. Infrastructure support is MINIMAL.
#2. Your friend had to plan a route sticking to that minimal asset availability
#3. He had to HOPE a charging station was available when he got there or now add even more time
#4. He had to alot extra travel hours to stop every 2 or so hours(exactly 200 miles between ea station?)
#6. .I would bet it's more then 30 minutes for all that
#7. He had to limit his range of driving per stop/charge to make it somewhat tolerable
#8. We have no idea what these random charging stations cost either for accesx
#9. How many hotels along the interstate offer overnight charge stations?
#10. Should we factor in charger maintenance downtime, or leave that one for now?

Do we not see how this gets exponentially chaotic once we add alot more EVs??
Is it feasible?? Seems so, but ALOT more tedious planning required and chance plays in for charger availability. Fair assessment?

I like the tech, but again......infrastructure large scale is just not there yet
Hybrids are a better option right now Imo

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,081 Posts
Let's evaluate this "one off" experience to be fair
A hybrid or ICE can gas n go in 5-10 mins just about anywhere, no restrictions

Now for your friends EV travel....
#1. Infrastructure support is MINIMAL.
#2. Your friend had to plan a route sticking to that minimal asset availability
#3. He had to HOPE a charging station was available when he got there or now add even more time
#4. He had to alot extra travel hours to stop every 2 or so hours(exactly 200 miles between ea station?)
#6. .I would bet it's more then 30 minutes for all that
#7. He had to limit his range of driving per stop/charge to make it somewhat tolerable
#8. We have no idea what these random charging stations cost either for accesx
#9. How many hotels along the interstate offer overnight charge stations?
#10. Should we factor in charger maintenance downtime, or leave that one for now?

Do we not see how this gets exponentially chaotic once we add alot more EVs??
Is it feasible?? Seems so, but ALOT more tedious planning required and chance plays in for charger availability. Fair assessment?

I like the tech, but again......infrastructure large scale is just not there yet
Hybrids are a better option right now Imo
With the new setups coming out, esp. Chinese maker Nio, they are testing a battery swap setup, under 5 minutes to swap in a new battery pack while you sit in the car, warm and dry.

1) Infrastructure is there in some areas, but most aren't paying attention, I know I haven't!
2) quite a few east-west routes along major interstates already have well planned fast charging locations
3) You can see ahead if chargers are open, but are they working? (Cue McD's ice cream machines)
4) 200 miles/3 hours generally between stops. His range was longer but being new to EV's he had range anxiety.
5) you skipped
6) 30 minute per stop, if you can fine a level 3 charger. Planning your hotel so you can charge over night is key
7) simple planning, like having a road map in the old days to plan stops
8) You can look up the costs, if you take the time
9) Along the major routes where charging stations have been planned for years, the trips are easy.
10) that depends on each provider, some are better than others.

You know the cold ass Norway has the highest percentage of EV's, and all the chargers are powered by renewable energy.

In short, don't be a dinosaur :)

I mean in 1978, would you ever believe that you could daily drive an 800 hp 4 door sedan when you were lucky to get 200 smogged HP and 300 miles to a tank of gas? (15 mpg, 20 gallons)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So you responded with KM to try and make your point. Your as stupid as the rest of the idiots here.
Again, nice reply, and great debate skills, lol.
I meant to put miles, but put km by habit.
My point can be made without insults, you should try it one day, but you obviously have nothing to contribute, so you turn to insults.
Ford guys, lol

Reactions: Mista Bone

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,081 Posts
Just tired of idiots here that keep making new rules to make the EV look bad when it really isn’t.
Right now at my house, the electrical meter/drop is on the opposite diagonal corner from where I park. Approx. 60-75 ft. run for a charging setup. If I do that then I'd run 220v to the garage instead of having just 120v/20a service.

For me, an EV for local trips makes sense and a hybrid for long trips.

Seems a Skoda Estate (VW) fits my needs.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
The rules ARE bad, the technology is cool, just let it develop on its own And not be forced up our asses.
I agree, maybe it’s because I’ve paid alittle attention to what and how it’s being developed. While others are in the dark about what is happening in the ev world.

I suppose if you are just now hearing about ev cars and how they’ll be the norm in 5-10 years it would feel like it’s being shoved up our asses.

Tesla has been at it for almost 20 years.
The concept of EV’s has been proven, they are a viable form of transportation.
Give it another 15 and I doubt any major manufacturers will selling a gas vehicle.

·
Registered
23,082 Posts
I agree, maybe it’s because I’ve paid alittle attention to what and how it’s being developed. While others are in the dark about what is happening in the ev world.

I suppose if you are just now hearing about ev cars and how they’ll be the norm in 5-10 years it would feel like it’s being shoved up our asses.

Give it another 15 and I doubt any major manufacturers will selling a gas vehicle.
If the manufacturers decide that, individually on their own, fine. The problem is the politicians are deciding that.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
If the manufacturers decide that, individually on their own, fine. The problem is the politicians are deciding that.
I believe most manufacturers have already made plans to switch by then. You know the charger and challenger are dead.

Reactions: Mad Machine

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If market forces were the only deciding factor EV would experience a 1-2% growth per year at best and would remain a niche market. But you have Commiefornia mandating EV cars exclusively by 2035 or something and the Feds raising the CAFE standards to almost unreachable levels. Because of that, not the free market, EV's are being pushed so hard. There is no infrastructure to support this nonsense. Many people, myself included, will never own a EV. I will keep my current DD for as long as I live.
FJB

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

People have been saying this for years…there’s a reason it hasn’t happened yet bud, you’re clearly only paying attention to what you want, and not reality.

Reactions: Aceshigh

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I’ll just leave this here.

It‘s happening boys as we sit here and muddle around it’s happening.
This guy is a true retard.....not to mention the guys at Taco Bell (unless its just an advertising scheme.....which is likely) The last thing you want at the average fast food restaurant is people tying up parking spaces for 15 minutes.

·
LS Powah!
13,308 Posts
But you have Commiefornia mandating EV cars exclusively by 2035 or something and the Feds raising the CAFE standards to almost unreachable levels.
Even if our government doesn't do this, other governments such as in Europe and Canada will. The automakers operate in a global market and won't want to keep investing in ICE development just for the US. The transition to EVs is coming regardless of what our government does.
Many people, myself included, will never own a EV. I will keep my current DD for as long as I live.
Many people said the same thing when pollution controls, electronic fuel injection, and OBD2 were added to new vehicles. How many of those old cars are still on the road? Not many.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.