Yellow Bullet Forums banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
One thing the manufacturers could do to help is to make the battery exactly the same for all cars, no wait time at the charge station, just a swap, make it so no one owns the batterys, the manufacturer or the gov can foot the bill, we just pay for the charge, this way all charge stations could have dozens on the rack charging or charged ready to go. also make the vehicle adaptable to more than one battery, for instance, if you have a truck or suv and dont need rear cargo area for a trip or you are just towing, make it so you can stack batteries, This way hondas can have one, and full size 2 or more, if everyone would get their poop in a group it would speed up the process!!!

·
LS Powah!
12,845 Posts
One thing the manufacturers could do to help is to make the battery exactly the same for all cars, no wait time at the charge station, just a swap, make it so no one owns the batterys, the manufacturer or the gov can foot the bill, we just pay for the charge, this way all charge stations could have dozens on the rack charging or charged ready to go. also make the vehicle adaptable to more than one battery, for instance, if you have a truck or suv and dont need rear cargo area for a trip or you are just towing, make it so you can stack batteries, This way hondas can have one, and full size 2 or more, if everyone would get their poop in a group it would speed up the process!!!
This is already done with EV taxis in China.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes, @HenryFloored, the structural battery is a good idea, much different than what we began discussing here.
Regardless, the fact remains that the current grid cannot sustain charging even 20% of cars being full electric, as well as powering our homes and businesses.

We’ll this is pointless. Gas stations shut down when the power goes out too.
Sure, but an average tank of fuel lasts way longer than a charge……..especially in cold weather.

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,684 Posts
We’ll this is pointless. Gas stations shut down when the power goes out too.
Oh really??

You might get a 0.5 mile radius outage if a transformer blows. A few mile radius if it's a primary line down in a storm depending on concentration.

You can drive to another Gas station outside that power feed zone very easily and quickly.

Switching occurs frequently and disrupts a charge cycle that would likely require user input to continue.

In other words no.....its not an apples to apples "well stations go out too". Factoring in the increased demand is going to cause ALOT more outages in areas where grids are dilapidated (i.e. Texas)

Reactions: Cruise

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wouldn’t it be the best thing ever for Uncle Sam to put a charging station in EVERY driveway and tie it to the home owners meter? Guess I will send a note to Joe, to see what he thinks?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Oh really??

You might get a 0.5 mile radius outage if a transformer blows. A few mile radius if it's a primary line down in a storm depending on concentration.

You can drive to another Gas station outside that power feed zone very easily and quickly.

Switching occurs frequently and disrupts a charge cycle that would likely require user input to continue.

In other words no.....its not an apples to apples "well stations go out too". Factoring in the increased demand is going to cause ALOT more outages in areas where grids are dilapidated (i.e. Texas)
Wtf, stop moving the goal posts.
The EV isn’t going to be sitting at home with a range of 0. In fact it would of been charging while the power was still on.

What other stupid scenario you got.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Yes, @HenryFloored, the structural battery is a good idea, much different than what we began discussing here.
Regardless, the fact remains that the current grid cannot sustain charging even 20% of cars being full electric, as well as powering our homes and businesses.

Sure, but an average tank of fuel lasts way longer than a charge……..especially in cold weather.
Only counts if you filled before hand.
And you’ll still get over 200 miles in a ev in the winter. Your not fucking stranded.

Do you guys think these are powered by AA batteries?

How fucking stupid are you guys.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
And you’ll still get over 200 miles in a ev in the winter. Your not fucking stranded.

Not much of a critical thinker, or a debater are you?
Same can be said for the EV bud.
200 miles in certain cars, after a full charge, sure. But many cars push 500km on a tank, so you’re not really making a case here, lol. As well if you’re low on power in a snowstorm, using heat and wipers won’t affect your range like it does in an EV.

·
Registered
22,892 Posts
Wtf, stop moving the goal posts.
The EV isn’t going to be sitting at home with a range of 0. In fact it would of been charging while the power was still on.

What other stupid scenario you got.
Holy crap! Get a clue!!! A gas station’s energy is in the tanks in the ground. It takes very little power (gas powered generator) to dispense it into the vehicle. Christ…I can run my community well that services 3 homes from a 10hp generator.
get a fucking clue….just a fucking clue.

·
Registered
15,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Well guys at the end of the day what’s going to happen ”at the end of the day?”

I don’t think EV’s are going to fail. Not when you compare a 98% efficiency for an electric motor compared to what 30% for an ICE engine?

Look gang we all get it. Everyone likes to see a big honking V8 tucked under the hood of their muscle car. I do too.

The problem is sooner or later progress must happen. I’ll bet you guys just love being able to hop on a jet and cut across the country in about 4 hours. Well guess what a fucking jet engine has a fraction of the appeal of a great big Rolls-Royce Merlin or a Pratt & Whitney 9 banger radial for me. How about you guys? Problem is a piston engine is slow compared to a jet in an airplane therefore commercial aviation is mostly jets.

Who cares anyways? Ice engines will still be around in our lifetimes. I don’t think you’ll ever see them go completely away much like in aviation.

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,684 Posts
Efficiency is not the primary obstacle

Infrastructure is, and to date we haven't seen a viable solution to that problem illustrated in this thread

Long distance road travel is another issue that has no viable solution due to infrastructure lacking immensely VS ICE travel

Reactions: Cruise

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^This is the hard truth, and the truth that government and EV fanboys ignore, yet in the real world, they cannot.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Seen a documentery on a new power source the french are spending a ton of cash on like billions hoping to create a power plant that can sustain it's self for years to come. The thing is it is not a viable thing yet, all that said the reality for now is that limited range and a power grid that can not support full EV here in the US is just a fact. Other countries that are so called green don't have as many cars and trucks on the road as we do. so for some of them EV can be a viable option, but here we are not there yet. The cost, plus needed other items to upgrade our older grid is gonna have to happen sooner or later, but right now we are not quite there yet.

·
Trolling the Trolls
17,543 Posts

Not as stupid as those people stranded on I-95 last week in the snow storm. 20+ hours of using the battery to keep you warm, it's not enough if you didn't have a full charge when you left work. Most charge at home over night to keep things topped off. 80 miles a night of range charge is enough to get them till the weekend and still have 40% charge left, which gets fully charged over the weekend.

If anyone remembers watching Fifth Gear from the UK, they are now Fifth Gear: Recharged. Everything is either a hybrid or fully electric. They also cover how they are using new technology for faster charging and with more locations. I'll see if that clip is on youtube.

Myself, I'm looking at the Ford Maverick Hybrid. 40 mpg city is better than 12-13 mpg the current beast gets. Think of the Mav. Hybrid as a useable Prius.

Then again I'd switch to a LNG car for local driving. Kentuckiana just opened a location near me. GAIN has a location (almost 10 years!) as well. The price is always listed at $1.99 but I'm not sure how much MPG you'd get for that price.

·
Trolling the Trolls
17,543 Posts
Efficiency is not the primary obstacle

Infrastructure is, and to date we haven't seen a viable solution to that problem illustrated in this thread

Long distance road travel is another issue that has no viable solution due to infrastructure lacking immensely VS ICE travel
Tell that to a friend that bought a Tesla in Cali and drove it home to Ohio.

How about running OLOA (One Lap Of America) in a Tesla? It is possible just requires more careful planning. Stop every 200 miles/3 hours for a rest break, stretch your legs, fast charge for 30 minutes while grabbing a snack. Planned carefully that is an extra hour for a 600 mile trip. Using an ICE car with same room as a Tesla you'd have at least one stop for fuel. Even with a Toyota Avalon Hybrid @ 42 mpg and 13 gal tank, you only have 550 mile range.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Not much of a critical thinker, or a debater are you?
Same can be said for the EV bud.
200 miles in certain cars, after a full charge, sure. But many cars push 500km on a tank, so you’re not really making a case here, lol. As well if you’re low on power in a snowstorm, using heat and wipers won’t affect your range like it does in an EV.
So you responded with KM to try and make your point. Your as stupid as the rest of the idiots here.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Holy crap! Get a clue!!! A gas station’s energy is in the tanks in the ground. It takes very little power (gas powered generator) to dispense it into the vehicle. Christ…I can run my community well that services 3 homes from a 10hp generator.
get a fucking clue….just a fucking clue.
Oh so it’s ok to use a generator for a gas car but not a EV.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Not as stupid as those people stranded on I-95 last week in the snow storm. 20+ hours of using the battery to keep you warm, it's not enough if you didn't have a full charge when you left work. Most charge at home over night to keep things topped off. 80 miles a night of range charge is enough to get them till the weekend and still have 40% charge left, which gets fully charged over the weekend.

If anyone remembers watching Fifth Gear from the UK, they are now Fifth Gear: Recharged. Everything is either a hybrid or fully electric. They also cover how they are using new technology for faster charging and with more locations. I'll see if that clip is on youtube.

Myself, I'm looking at the Ford Maverick Hybrid. 40 mpg city is better than 12-13 mpg the current beast gets. Think of the Mav. Hybrid as a useable Prius.

Then again I'd switch to a LNG car for local driving. Kentuckiana just opened a location near me. GAIN has a location (almost 10 years!) as well. The price is always listed at $1.99 but I'm not sure how much MPG you'd get for that price.
8-12 hrs to fully charge a Tesla at home. Their not just putting 5 bucks in the tank to make it to the weekend.

·
Registered
15,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Have any of you guys looked up the statistics on how people travel right now?

I haven’t seen them lately but the vast majority use aero for trips beyond certain distances.

Me I’m no big fan of flying. I only do it when absolutely necessary.

We have become impatient in our travels and I totally get it. Featureless Interstate highways foster that and I totally understand.

The thing is many if not most countries in this world can be bisected by an EV of today with maybe one recharge.

You guys are thinking about the plains states all strung together. Do the vast majority of people drive through them or have they earned the nickname “flyover country” for nothing.

Me I’d prefer to visit every state and take in it’s goodness but I got more time than you busy fellas. Y’all are flying to SEMA or PRI and renting a car (soon to be EV rental).

You guys keep throwing obstacles in the road that aren’t a problem for “most” people. Most people fly to go long distances. People who travel for leisure have time to stop and smell the roses for fucking 30 minutes.

If you’re towing your ugly Chevy race car to Pomona from Florida to the Winternats you’re probably banging a diesel or in the future a 445 Thunderjet hybrid.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts