Yellow Bullet Forums banner
61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Brilliant, cuz nobody works or drives at night. Fanboy stuff right here.
Just stop. Majority of people work during the day. Those who don’t will be fine.
No fanboy shit, just someone who can see the reality of how things can work.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just stop. Majority of people work during the day. Those who don’t will be fine.
No fanboy shit, just someone who can see the reality of how things can work.
Again, great argument, lol. If you’re butthurt over the reality of things then there’s no point conversing with you. Carry on

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
Joe will sort it, "power out at 7pm for all those nasty fuel lovers so leccy boys can have at it with the grid, Govt approved candles to be issued to the low life gas and derv lovers, 1 per household per night".....sorted,
Love, "big J" (y):LOL:

I'm sure in the near future some snowflake will come up with the bright idea to turn the street lights off , traffic signals and neon etc...they will then be awarded a big trophy for their brilliant idea .......🏆:D

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,693 Posts
I respectfully disagree, it is exactly the so called “fanboys” that will drive innovation and progress just like they always have.
With gargantuan socialization schemes thru Govt funding. Not on its own merit and viabiltiy.

Something that's viable doesn't need to be FORCED

Reactions: Cruise

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
With gargantuan socialization schemes thru Govt funding. Not on its own merit and viabiltiy.

Something that's viable doesn't need to be FORCED
Well now wait just a darn minute here fellas. Are you sure you guys want to take this ☝position?

I seem to remember a couple world wars that massively accelerated virtually everything especially things that move over the ground, the seas and through the air.

C’mon guys y’all gonna forget the billions invested in high performance aviation engines for example? The research development that came outta that little conflict was applied directly to those Caddy and Olds “Kettering V8’s” that you haters are so stuck up about.

No gang it’s not as simple as you think. Times they are a changin’.

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,693 Posts
Trickle down effects from World War spending that benefited technology that NEVER got mandated/forced onto the public ??

That's your comparison to Govt forced EV world coming?? Well.......ok......good luck with that

Reactions: Cruise

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Looks like the battery/structural thing is already happening in an important way. Now listen gang Musk is not only brilliant but he hired the best talent money can buy and THEY’RE WORKING ON STRUCTURAL BATTERIES. Hmmmm???

·
LS Powah!
12,855 Posts
I love people who think outside the box but battery technology itself will advance long before this totally impractical idea will ever come to pass. Look at what's been accomplished just over the last 10 years - there's now an EV (Lucid) on the market with a range of 500 miles that's been verified independently and in another 10 years range fear will likely be history. What the EV industry needs to work on more than anything is infrastructure.
You're absolutely right on both points. Solid state batteries will be the big advancement over the near term. Toyota has announced plans to use SSBs in a hybrid by '25, so we should expect to see them in EVs by '30 or so. Charging stations can be installed anywhere you have electricity, so they should increase at a significant rate over the next decade. As more EVs hit the road, more companies will be willing to invest in chargers. Once that happens, I think most people will willingly switch to EVs.

Reactions: HenryFloored

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
In order to match the 2,000 cars that a typical filling station can service in a busy 12 hours, an EV charging station would require 600, 50-watt chargers at an estimated cost of $24 million and a supply of 30 megawatts of power from the grid. That is enough to power 20,000 homes. No one likely thinks about the fact that it can take 30 minutes to 8 hours to recharge a vehicle between empty or just topping off. What are the drivers doing during that time? If you’ve got cars coming into a gas station, they would stay for an average of five minutes. If you’ve got cars coming into an electric charging station, they would be at least 30 minutes, possibly an hour, but let’s say its 30 minutes. So that’s six times the surface area to park the cars while they’re being charged. So, multiply every gas station in a city by six. Where are you going to find the place to put them?

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
In order to match the 2,000 cars that a typical filling station can service in a busy 12 hours, an EV charging station would require 600, 50-watt chargers at an estimated cost of $24 million and a supply of 30 megawatts of power from the grid. That is enough to power 20,000 homes. No one likely thinks about the fact that it can take 30 minutes to 8 hours to recharge a vehicle between empty or just topping off. What are the drivers doing during that time? If you’ve got cars coming into a gas station, they would stay for an average of five minutes. If you’ve got cars coming into an electric charging station, they would be at least 30 minutes, possibly an hour, but let’s say its 30 minutes. So that’s six times the surface area to park the cars while they’re being charged. So, multiply every gas station in a city by six. Where are you going to find the place to put them?
All of your points are well taken but the thing that you’re missing is that most EV’s will charge at home. I don’t know too many people gassing their vehicles up at home currently.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I wonder how many na sayers here have cordless drills at home?
And not some pre-lithium, brushed motor pos.
Nope, still running the gasoline model drill. Not the old junk, mind you, this one has direct injection and remote start.

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,693 Posts
How is the home charging situation going to work if you discover your power went out.?
Hopes and prayers 1 hour before work to find an open station with time to use it??

We all see how often power outages happen. Even a disruption can shutdown a charge cycle.
Now multiply needs by the amount of EV drivers in household. Go from 1 to 2,3,4?
Married couples with kids....

The grid can't even support 1 EV station in every 3rd household.
What will it be like when you need 2-4 PER household?

If a single gas station is closed or out of fuel, you simply goto the next.
Home charging down?? You are pretty much SOL and tempting a tow if you run outta juice

I like the EV ideas, but the world is far from ready to support it

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
How is the home charging situation going to work if you discover your power went out.?
Hopes and prayers 1 hour before work to find an open station with time to use it??

We all see how often power outages happen. Even a disruption can shutdown a charge cycle.
Now multiply needs by the amount of EV drivers in household. Go from 1 to 2,3,4?
Married couples with kids....

The grid can't even support 1 EV station in every 3rd household.
What will it be like when you need 2-4 PER household?

If a single gas station is closed or out of fuel, you simply goto the next.
Home charging down?? You are pretty much SOL and tempting a tow if you run outta juice

I like the EV ideas, but the world is far from ready to support it
We’ll this is pointless. Gas stations shut down when the power goes out too.

Reactions: Mad Machine

·
Super Moderator
1968 Camaro Z28, 1933 Chevy Coupe, 2004 Silverado Z71, 1946 Chevy PU, 2000 Custom Harley Davidson
50,992 Posts
Henry. I have been in the body repair business for 40+ years. I have either worked on every type of vehicle on the road today, or run the shop and the techs that have.
I am ASE Certified in numerous categories, and I-CAR trained in all modern SRS, ARS, Structural Steel, Steel Unibody Front and Rear Rails, Floors, and front structure, along with Steel Unibody A, B, C, D Pillars and Rocker panels to mention a few. Also trained in Multi Material Body Structures in which almost every vehicle is comprised of such as High Strength steel, Boron Steel, Aluminum, Med. Strength Steel, Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass, and the ways of bonding these materials together to form a safety structure (roll cage)around the occupants such as Mig, Tig, Silicon Bronze welding, structural adhesives, and High Strength Riveting.

The repair of Hybrids and EV's are becoming more and more labor intensive, and parts prices are through the roof. Training for them is lengthy, and always changing. And independent shops, no matter how small, or how gigantic, are already shying away from doing repairs on them, and stirring them back to the dealer of which that brand vehicle is sold. There is no way to train all your techs to work on all makes and models, so the vehicles will end up at dealerships who are trained on those types of vehicles.

What I am getting at, aside from the already astronomical cost of repairing EVs, is the fact every vehicle made today is first designed, and manufactured with one thing in mind first,...safety. Keeping the occupants alive and injury free. Every plastic clip is designed to shear off in an accident, every outer panel designed to crush and absorb impact, while the safety structure around the passengers with it's air bags, sensors, and modules all working together to protect the people inside. Then it's design appeal to sell as many as possible, then reparability is last.

The cost of repairing vehicles today, totals vehicles faster than ever. Insurance companies love that. Pay off the customer, and sell the car to the salvage yard and get 1/2 to 3/4 of the money back. Manufacturers love it so they can sell you another car. Making the body panels, whether bolt on panels or not into the actual batteries, will never work. The safety concerns around that will make vehicles cost way more, and be nightmares in a crash. It will cause quadruple redundancy in trying to make an inherently unstable, very dangerous substance safe. The costs of repairs will make them obsolete, the loss of lives will make them catastrophic failures.

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
No one thinks about the problems, even if was at 50% EV and 50% fossil now, today....it would collapse, its only "working" now because there are hardly any on the roads in comparison to fossil....so its sorta' working for the forecourt charging, unfortunately, the pro EV crowd refuse to accept things like what you posted.....they use "home charging" as a get out clause......you taking your house on holiday then?:D
This was the CEO of the German :mad: owned factory opposite my house, stuck at work last Friday an extra 3 hrs because the prick forgot to plug in.., he had to lock the place up because all the staff were looong gone :ROFLMAO: gas station round the corner, 5mins LOL
4 fkn hours of wasted life, wash, rinse, repeat daily, not for me ....." I Godda go !!!!"
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

61 - 80 of 145 Posts