Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Watched about half of it Henry, but the video was about as dumb as the idea. As stated, there cannot be batteries in crash parts of a vehicle, duh, we drive them, daily, and in close proximity to other vehicles, which means they are vulnerable to damage. Now, we all know you love EVs, maybe because Ford can’t build a decent ICE, or for some other reason, but the fact remain that they just aren’t feasible in the real world to many buyers.

Reactions: HeavyChevySS

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Fair enough markets will dictate what technologies win out or at least I hope they do and to hell with government intervention.

Yes yes I know the libs love EV’s because it plays into their global warming narrative.

I’m interested in EV’s because they will bring a whole host of new characters to the fore. In my opinion there was quite a bit of stagnation among the legacy automakers. This will certainly wake them up.

I like the little dig about Ford and ICE though that was slick. You probably didn’t check the COTY and TOTY for 2021 yet. But hey who’s counting?
COTY or TOTY mean nothing to me, never really have. Being in the trade I feel confident that I know what kind of vehicle I want to buy, and for the record I work at a GM dealer, so EV tech is pretty relevant to my career. Truth be told I suspect that you and I will both be dead before EVs make up any substantial percentage if the market (I’d say 30%+), and we both know the infrastructure just isn’t there to support that number

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hey guys what if bulkheads, deck lids cowls roof panels etc can serve as batteries?

I mean there are smart ways to do things maybe. Things that aren’t vulnerable to easy damage. Panels that are replaceable.

See this all brings me back to one of my first points that I like about EV’s. That is that these future vehicles will usher in tons of innovation. By their nature alone EV’s are making platform engineers salivate at the opportunities to be creative.

The most obvious first benefit is the “Frunk”.

Giggle if you wish but I could use an easy to load frunk in a vehicle I own like the F150 Lightning has.

Nothing is set in stone with these EV’s. I don’t understand the pushback. There’s some very cool things in the pipeline.
Panels are the are are inherently lightweight, and turning them into heavy, battery panels is pontless for several reasons, however, after reading your last paragraph, it seems there’s no point debating with you about this as your mind is made up…and you’re beyond help : )

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Bruise, there is no need to be negative. We’re just talking here. It don’t mean a hill of beans if my mind is made up. That and 35 cents will get me a cup of coffee.

It actually feels more like YOUR mind is made up. You’re essentially betting against human progress and that doesn’t usually go well.

But seriously I don’t get your point. Bulkheads, cowls, deck lids etc are not really that light. Remember we’re trying to offset the weight penalty of the battery pack. Having a structure or panel that can do double duty is theoretically and obviously a huge step forward in efficiency.

It’s about the WHOLE package friend.
So, your second reply to me and you start with the insults? Great debate skills, but from here on would be a waste of my time it seems. Good luck with your dreams of the future.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If I give you a name it means I dig you. It’s a tradition just ask Bedtime.

Is that what you’re sore about?
Well okay I guess, my mistake. Not sore though, just seems pointless to debate something if there can’t be mutual respect, which apparently there isn’t, lol
My whole point is that making a panel into a better is counter-productive, as it will certainly weigh more, so the entire premise is flawed. Further, it will raise the center of gravity, add weight and complexity with more wiring, and be extremely vulnerable to the elements. I’m speaking from experience here, and I’m not sure what you do for a living, or what you’re basing your thoughts on, but I’d love to hear actual reasoning.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Toyota has offered a solar panel on the roof of the Prius for years.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
IMO a fanboy is someone with blinders on, who only sees what they want to see without considering all the pertinent info. I’m not trying to win an argument, and I didn’t think this was one, was more of a discussion.

So your contention is that the batteries will be made of lightweight carbon fiber, as opposed to the traditional materials used in heavy batteries?

What about the inherent benefits of using a low-mounted battery to improve handling? Or to allow a “quick change” to occur during a cross-country trip? You can’t really do that with a network of panel batteries, nor will you see the low center of gravity evs currently enjoy.

Reactions: HenryFloored

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Because it came with 3 batteries??
You bought a harbor freight drill?
Your wife uses one in her vibrator?
Their 10 years out of date pos.
Nice reply, great debate skills.
Milwaukee drill at home, Dewalt at work, each came with 2 batteries, bought a bigger battery for each for more power and run time. You need the part numbers to confirm?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just stop. Majority of people work during the day. Those who don’t will be fine.
No fanboy shit, just someone who can see the reality of how things can work.
Again, great argument, lol. If you’re butthurt over the reality of things then there’s no point conversing with you. Carry on

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yes, @HenryFloored, the structural battery is a good idea, much different than what we began discussing here.
Regardless, the fact remains that the current grid cannot sustain charging even 20% of cars being full electric, as well as powering our homes and businesses.

We’ll this is pointless. Gas stations shut down when the power goes out too.
Sure, but an average tank of fuel lasts way longer than a charge……..especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Only counts if you filled before hand.
And you’ll still get over 200 miles in a ev in the winter. Your not fucking stranded.

Do you guys think these are powered by AA batteries?

How fucking stupid are you guys.
Not much of a critical thinker, or a debater are you?
Same can be said for the EV bud.
200 miles in certain cars, after a full charge, sure. But many cars push 500km on a tank, so you’re not really making a case here, lol. As well if you’re low on power in a snowstorm, using heat and wipers won’t affect your range like it does in an EV.

Reactions: Aceshigh

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
^This is the hard truth, and the truth that government and EV fanboys ignore, yet in the real world, they cannot.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So you responded with KM to try and make your point. Your as stupid as the rest of the idiots here.
Again, nice reply, and great debate skills, lol.
I meant to put miles, but put km by habit.
My point can be made without insults, you should try it one day, but you obviously have nothing to contribute, so you turn to insults.
Ford guys, lol

Reactions: Mista Bone

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree, maybe it’s because I’ve paid alittle attention to what and how it’s being developed. While others are in the dark about what is happening in the ev world.

I suppose if you are just now hearing about ev cars and how they’ll be the norm in 5-10 years it would feel like it’s being shoved up our asses.

Tesla has been at it for almost 20 years.
The concept of EV’s has been proven, they are a viable form of transportation.
Give it another 15 and I doubt any major manufacturers will selling a gas vehicle.
People have been saying this for years…there’s a reason it hasn’t happened yet bud, you’re clearly only paying attention to what you want, and not reality.

Reactions: Aceshigh

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Even if our government doesn't do this, other governments such as in Europe and Canada will. The automakers operate in a global market and won't want to keep investing in ICE development just for the US. The transition to EVs is coming regardless of what our government does.

Many people said the same thing when pollution controls, electronic fuel injection, and OBD2 were added to new vehicles. How many of those old cars are still on the road? Not many.
The difference is, it’s not feasible to have EVs replace all ICE vehicles, it won’t happen for at least another 40 years, if at all. The whole EV b.s. is just another government attempt at control.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Do you think all the cars will be charging at once?
I suppose you also think they have to charge them up every day?
Unless you’re 80 this will absolutely happen in your lifetime.
No, but figure probably a quarter of them will, and with the current grid being overwhelmed as it is, there’s just no way this will work.
Not every day, but given a 200 mile range I’d bet about half would be charged every day…we put well over 100km (60 miles) on our car almost every day in the summer when the kids have sports, so to have at least half-charge to get to work, it would need to be charged every 2 days. Not to mention the initial cost of the fairy-dust electric is at least $40k, and sometimes double for a larger vehicle with more range.
I‘m 41, and I’m pretty confident I’ll have an ICE powered car when I die.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts