Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a video that goes into the subject of making the entire body of a vehicle the battery for EV applications.

I don’t think I need to explain this because if you’re really interested you’ll watch the video which goes into great detail.

What I would like to comment on however is the brilliance in this very obvious solution. Prior to this technology the outer skin was merely a placeholder for the paint. The inner structure more of a craggy mess of stamping and fasteners.

The crash structure in any vehicle is essentially dead weight until the very moment of impact if you think about it.

Putting that dead weight to work in such a profound was is incredibly huge. It’s a game changer and will make everything that came before it obsolete instantly provided the technology is sound.

There are other uses for vehicle skin like cooling for example. There is a space age looking EV vehicle called Aptera that has no coolers introduced into the aerodynamic design, it cools the battery fluids by a sort of capillary system bringing the coolant very close to the skin and eliminating heat that way.

Thirdly vehicle skin can be used as a photovoltaic medium to capture free energy to improve range or put in less need for active charging.

Also gang this type of thing isn’t just going on in the transportation sector. There is research going on now to develop structural building materials that act like or really are storage batteries.

I mean think of it gang a battery the size of a school or office building. Wow!

Anyhow I can already hear you haters can howl and moan and cling to your stupid gas guzzlin’ fuel pigs. I mean hey i agree they do make beautiful noise and in the case of you GM boys they certainly mark their spot.

Nah man I’m not gonna try to act all cool and resist the positives in the future. I’m gonna embrace it even though as far as participation in it the ship has probably sailed for me.

If you can handle the future watch the video. If you can’t then I will enjoy laughing at you as tomorrow unfolds at breakneck speed before our very eyes.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t know guys. Fire hazard is certainly a concern but that mostly exists within certain battery chemistries.

I have a feeling the engineers are paying special attention to this very thing.

Like I said before if the engineering is sound this will become THE game changer in my view.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Watched about half of it Henry, but the video was about as dumb as the idea. As stated, there cannot be batteries in crash parts of a vehicle, duh, we drive them, daily, and in close proximity to other vehicles, which means they are vulnerable to damage. Now, we all know you love EVs, maybe because Ford can’t build a decent ICE, or for some other reason, but the fact remain that they just aren’t feasible in the real world to many buyers.
Fair enough markets will dictate what technologies win out or at least I hope they do and to hell with government intervention.

Yes yes I know the libs love EV’s because it plays into their global warming narrative.

I’m interested in EV’s because they will bring a whole host of new characters to the fore. In my opinion there was quite a bit of stagnation among the legacy automakers. This will certainly wake them up.

I like the little dig about Ford and ICE though that was slick. You probably didn’t check the COTY and TOTY for 2021 yet. But hey who’s counting?

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey guys what if bulkheads, deck lids cowls roof panels etc can serve as batteries?

I mean there are smart ways to do things maybe. Things that aren’t vulnerable to easy damage. Panels that are replaceable.

See this all brings me back to one of my first points that I like about EV’s. That is that these future vehicles will usher in tons of innovation. By their nature alone EV’s are making platform engineers salivate at the opportunities to be creative.

The most obvious first benefit is the “Frunk”.

Giggle if you wish but I could use an easy to load frunk in a vehicle I own like the F150 Lightning has.

Nothing is set in stone with these EV’s. I don’t understand the pushback. There’s some very cool things in the pipeline.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Panels are the are are inherently lightweight, and turning them into heavy, battery panels is pontless for several reasons, however, after reading your last paragraph, it seems there’s no point debating with you about this as your mind is made up…and you’re beyond help : )
Bruise, there is no need to be negative. We’re just talking here. It don’t mean a hill of beans if my mind is made up. That and 35 cents will get me a cup of coffee.

It actually feels more like YOUR mind is made up. You’re essentially betting against human progress and that doesn’t usually go well.

But seriously I don’t get your point. Bulkheads, cowls, deck lids etc are not really that light. Remember we’re trying to offset the weight penalty of the battery pack. Having a structure or panel that can do double duty is theoretically and obviously a huge step forward in efficiency.

It’s about the WHOLE package friend.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, your second reply to me and you start with the insults? Great debate skills, but from here on would be a waste of my time it seems. Good luck with your dreams of the future.
If I give you a name it means I dig you. It’s a tradition just ask Bedtime.

Is that what you’re sore about?

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That is THE idea. Replace rather than repair, perfect for a consumer society we are nowadays.
Well now you’re actually touching on the heart of the matter for me.

In the past I’ve had some pretty nice cars all of the ones used as daily drivers seemed to meet their demise at the hands of other drivers or less catastrophicly been damaged by uncaring people with shopping carts and car doors.

I’ve seen some beautiful cars with flawless panels and paint only to walk around and find a giant parking lot bruise on the other side. Just heartbreaking.

Anyhow to maintain my sanity I’ve decided that the daily “grinder” vehicle is probably going to be the sacrificial lamb so I choose to not spend a fortune on something super nice and I won’t have to go to jail for strangulating a dude for saying, “ what’s the big deal it’s only a truck” again after leaning into my bedside with his car door.

So EV’s for me satisfy the “transportation appliance“ role. The lack of a big thumping V8 is a drag but I don’t want to fall in love with my DD beyond sitting behind the wheel and to be whisked away in trouble free comfort.

The weekend is when the cool old ICE cars come out and I take my trips down memory lane.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Really guys?

For realzus, y’all wont budge? Man I sure wish I could be as cool as y’all and make jokes while laughing in the face of inevitability.

Maybe if I was as cool as you guys and hated EV’s I might be able to get girls like the pinups I share on the Cleveland thread. Mr. Chove is certain I could never get one to even give me the time of day.

Lol! I can’t imagine measuring one’s manhood based on liking or hating certain things that the mullet crowd deems cool or not cool.

Tell you what gang right or wrong it’s not an affront to your manhood if you like EV’s.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I agree on the lack of infrastructure stopping EV's. However, politicians will continue to make stupid mandates based on the green agenda to gain votes, knowing that they don't have to face the consequences. Also, doing a little math, the average solar panel produces 10 watts/ square foot and weighs 2.8 pounds/ square foot. Over an 8 hour day, converting it to metric units of weight to match the video, the solar cells will produce 63 Watt-hours/ kg. The ability to produce electricity is over 2.5X the ability to store electricity in the horizontal body panels with their current capability. So it would be more beneficial to add solar panels to the horizontal surfaces and part the car in a sunny spot. Plus horizontal body panels are not as much an element in crash worthiness.
Nice post ☝I like that solid content.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
^The infrastructure doesn’t exist to support an all-EV world, and there’s no way it can be built in 8 years. No amount of fanboy videos can change that, Henry.
I respectfully disagree, it is exactly the so called “fanboys” that will drive innovation and progress just like they always have.

I don’t like this term fanboy, it’s a form of cancel culture by implying that the person of interest is somehow driven by emotion or some other illogical devotion.

It’s like calling someone a racist whereby you call someone out for some inherent flaw which negates that person’s opinion out of hand due to some perceived or fantastical charge that requires no proof just his opponent’s opinion. It’s a ploy to win an argument.

Now going back to structural battery. I still need help in understanding how say a stressed bulkhead battery bank adds to the weight of a vehicle overall if it negates the need for single purpose batteries in a conventional tray?

If a battery pack/stressed member component is simultaneously storing energy, providing structure and reducing the need for as many heavier batteries in the conventional tray are we not reducing weight AND increasing efficiency overall at least in theory at this point?

Also I guess I need to go back to carbon fiber school because I was under the impression that it was a very lightweight material usually much lighter than it’s steel counterpart.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
With gargantuan socialization schemes thru Govt funding. Not on its own merit and viabiltiy.

Something that's viable doesn't need to be FORCED
Well now wait just a darn minute here fellas. Are you sure you guys want to take this ☝position?

I seem to remember a couple world wars that massively accelerated virtually everything especially things that move over the ground, the seas and through the air.

C’mon guys y’all gonna forget the billions invested in high performance aviation engines for example? The research development that came outta that little conflict was applied directly to those Caddy and Olds “Kettering V8’s” that you haters are so stuck up about.

No gang it’s not as simple as you think. Times they are a changin’.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Looks like the battery/structural thing is already happening in an important way. Now listen gang Musk is not only brilliant but he hired the best talent money can buy and THEY’RE WORKING ON STRUCTURAL BATTERIES. Hmmmm???

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
In order to match the 2,000 cars that a typical filling station can service in a busy 12 hours, an EV charging station would require 600, 50-watt chargers at an estimated cost of $24 million and a supply of 30 megawatts of power from the grid. That is enough to power 20,000 homes. No one likely thinks about the fact that it can take 30 minutes to 8 hours to recharge a vehicle between empty or just topping off. What are the drivers doing during that time? If you’ve got cars coming into a gas station, they would stay for an average of five minutes. If you’ve got cars coming into an electric charging station, they would be at least 30 minutes, possibly an hour, but let’s say its 30 minutes. So that’s six times the surface area to park the cars while they’re being charged. So, multiply every gas station in a city by six. Where are you going to find the place to put them?
All of your points are well taken but the thing that you’re missing is that most EV’s will charge at home. I don’t know too many people gassing their vehicles up at home currently.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Well guys at the end of the day what’s going to happen ”at the end of the day?”

I don’t think EV’s are going to fail. Not when you compare a 98% efficiency for an electric motor compared to what 30% for an ICE engine?

Look gang we all get it. Everyone likes to see a big honking V8 tucked under the hood of their muscle car. I do too.

The problem is sooner or later progress must happen. I’ll bet you guys just love being able to hop on a jet and cut across the country in about 4 hours. Well guess what a fucking jet engine has a fraction of the appeal of a great big Rolls-Royce Merlin or a Pratt & Whitney 9 banger radial for me. How about you guys? Problem is a piston engine is slow compared to a jet in an airplane therefore commercial aviation is mostly jets.

Who cares anyways? Ice engines will still be around in our lifetimes. I don’t think you’ll ever see them go completely away much like in aviation.

·
Registered
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Have any of you guys looked up the statistics on how people travel right now?

I haven’t seen them lately but the vast majority use aero for trips beyond certain distances.

Me I’m no big fan of flying. I only do it when absolutely necessary.

We have become impatient in our travels and I totally get it. Featureless Interstate highways foster that and I totally understand.

The thing is many if not most countries in this world can be bisected by an EV of today with maybe one recharge.

You guys are thinking about the plains states all strung together. Do the vast majority of people drive through them or have they earned the nickname “flyover country” for nothing.

Me I’d prefer to visit every state and take in it’s goodness but I got more time than you busy fellas. Y’all are flying to SEMA or PRI and renting a car (soon to be EV rental).

You guys keep throwing obstacles in the road that aren’t a problem for “most” people. Most people fly to go long distances. People who travel for leisure have time to stop and smell the roses for fucking 30 minutes.

If you’re towing your ugly Chevy race car to Pomona from Florida to the Winternats you’re probably banging a diesel or in the future a 445 Thunderjet hybrid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.