Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
An absolutely horrible idea to do this in passenger cars. Holy fuck it is a disaster waiting to happen. Cars made today have almost no thought given to service or repair them. Add batteries to the structure of the car....and engineers will put them in places that will unnecessarily complicate service/repairs. Cars in accidents wil be totalled out due to cost of repairs....then what will be done with the batteries? Will there be a way to recycle or reuse them? No thanks
That is THE idea. Replace rather than repair, perfect for a consumer society we are nowadays.

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
Only counts if you filled before hand.
And you’ll still get over 200 miles in a ev in the winter. Your not fucking stranded.

Do you guys think these are powered by AA batteries?

How fucking stupid are you guys.
Not as stupid as those people stranded on I-95 last week in the snow storm. 20+ hours of using the battery to keep you warm, it's not enough if you didn't have a full charge when you left work. Most charge at home over night to keep things topped off. 80 miles a night of range charge is enough to get them till the weekend and still have 40% charge left, which gets fully charged over the weekend.

If anyone remembers watching Fifth Gear from the UK, they are now Fifth Gear: Recharged. Everything is either a hybrid or fully electric. They also cover how they are using new technology for faster charging and with more locations. I'll see if that clip is on youtube.

Myself, I'm looking at the Ford Maverick Hybrid. 40 mpg city is better than 12-13 mpg the current beast gets. Think of the Mav. Hybrid as a useable Prius.

Then again I'd switch to a LNG car for local driving. Kentuckiana just opened a location near me. GAIN has a location (almost 10 years!) as well. The price is always listed at $1.99 but I'm not sure how much MPG you'd get for that price.

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
Efficiency is not the primary obstacle

Infrastructure is, and to date we haven't seen a viable solution to that problem illustrated in this thread

Long distance road travel is another issue that has no viable solution due to infrastructure lacking immensely VS ICE travel
Tell that to a friend that bought a Tesla in Cali and drove it home to Ohio.

How about running OLOA (One Lap Of America) in a Tesla? It is possible just requires more careful planning. Stop every 200 miles/3 hours for a rest break, stretch your legs, fast charge for 30 minutes while grabbing a snack. Planned carefully that is an extra hour for a 600 mile trip. Using an ICE car with same room as a Tesla you'd have at least one stop for fuel. Even with a Toyota Avalon Hybrid @ 42 mpg and 13 gal tank, you only have 550 mile range.

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
Let's evaluate this "one off" experience to be fair
A hybrid or ICE can gas n go in 5-10 mins just about anywhere, no restrictions

Now for your friends EV travel....
#1. Infrastructure support is MINIMAL.
#2. Your friend had to plan a route sticking to that minimal asset availability
#3. He had to HOPE a charging station was available when he got there or now add even more time
#4. He had to alot extra travel hours to stop every 2 or so hours(exactly 200 miles between ea station?)
#6. .I would bet it's more then 30 minutes for all that
#7. He had to limit his range of driving per stop/charge to make it somewhat tolerable
#8. We have no idea what these random charging stations cost either for accesx
#9. How many hotels along the interstate offer overnight charge stations?
#10. Should we factor in charger maintenance downtime, or leave that one for now?

Do we not see how this gets exponentially chaotic once we add alot more EVs??
Is it feasible?? Seems so, but ALOT more tedious planning required and chance plays in for charger availability. Fair assessment?

I like the tech, but again......infrastructure large scale is just not there yet
Hybrids are a better option right now Imo
With the new setups coming out, esp. Chinese maker Nio, they are testing a battery swap setup, under 5 minutes to swap in a new battery pack while you sit in the car, warm and dry.

1) Infrastructure is there in some areas, but most aren't paying attention, I know I haven't!
2) quite a few east-west routes along major interstates already have well planned fast charging locations
3) You can see ahead if chargers are open, but are they working? (Cue McD's ice cream machines)
4) 200 miles/3 hours generally between stops. His range was longer but being new to EV's he had range anxiety.
5) you skipped
6) 30 minute per stop, if you can fine a level 3 charger. Planning your hotel so you can charge over night is key
7) simple planning, like having a road map in the old days to plan stops
8) You can look up the costs, if you take the time
9) Along the major routes where charging stations have been planned for years, the trips are easy.
10) that depends on each provider, some are better than others.

You know the cold ass Norway has the highest percentage of EV's, and all the chargers are powered by renewable energy.

In short, don't be a dinosaur :)

I mean in 1978, would you ever believe that you could daily drive an 800 hp 4 door sedan when you were lucky to get 200 smogged HP and 300 miles to a tank of gas? (15 mpg, 20 gallons)

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
Just tired of idiots here that keep making new rules to make the EV look bad when it really isn’t.
Right now at my house, the electrical meter/drop is on the opposite diagonal corner from where I park. Approx. 60-75 ft. run for a charging setup. If I do that then I'd run 220v to the garage instead of having just 120v/20a service.

For me, an EV for local trips makes sense and a hybrid for long trips.

Seems a Skoda Estate (VW) fits my needs.

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
Even if our government doesn't do this, other governments such as in Europe and Canada will. The automakers operate in a global market and won't want to keep investing in ICE development just for the US. The transition to EVs is coming regardless of what our government does.

Many people said the same thing when pollution controls, electronic fuel injection, and OBD2 were added to new vehicles. How many of those old cars are still on the road? Not many.
Oh, 1970 before smog era when 350 whp from a 454 LS6 was great from the factory polluting the pale blue dot we all reside on. 50+ years later and lowly NA V6's are making that power with 90-95% less emissions.

You old dinosaurs laughed at the Hondas/Imports making power and going fast, now the EV's are WAY fucking faster than anything from the 70's, or even 2000's, but you are still in denial.

Then again I'm an old fart as well....and Neil Peart summed it up perfectly.

Oh yeah, I'd rather cruise a 1970 muscle car (with electric fans so it doesn't over heat) that DD a Tesla.

Now flogging on a Tesla at the track? Hellcat is a pussy :)

·
Trolling the Trolls
18,099 Posts
You had to pull the “Rush card”? I won’t be the same for the rest of the day. Rock on........!!!
Looking back, how correct was Neil Peart (RIP) when he wrote the lyrics?

I'm willing to go electric for day to day travels, but that big block rumble will always rattle my soul in a good way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.