Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am always asked how do I handle a traffic stop with a CCW holder, let me throw it in reverse. How do you all handle it? :-D

Do you wait for the officer to ask if you are packing heat? Do you just come out and tell him(like some states require), or just wing it?

Let's hear it.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I hand them my license and my permit at the same time while saying "Sir (or Madam if a female), here is my license and my permit for the hand gun that is located ******." Then I also hand him my registration and proof of insurance which is clipped to the driver's side visor. So far no issues doing it that way.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I roll all windows down, place both hands on steering wheel, and announce that I am a CCW permit holder, and if there are / are not any weapons in the car. Then I let the officer lead the rest of the stop.

Tiny

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have been pulled over once since i have had a carry permit, i had my driver license and carry permit out before he got to my vehicle and gave him both and told him my firearm is in the holster on my right hip, no problems at all- he didnt even question it and just told me to slow down and be safe.:)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi Officer, just to let you know I am legally armed (as my hands are on the steering wheel)

I have a funny story Gunny, when I was a cop I got stopped and told the officer I was a cop and was armed. He asked me where my pistol was and I said my front pants pocket, he said hand it to me......I could not believe it, so I asked him, you want me to reach into my pocket and hand you my pistol? he said ya. I did, but looking back I should have told him to call a supervisor, cause there was no way I was going to reach into my pocket and pull out a pistol

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Officer, just to let you know I am legally armed (as my hands are on the steering wheel)

I have a funny story Gunny, when I was a cop I got stopped and told the officer I was a cop and was armed. He asked me where my pistol was and I said my front pants pocket, he said hand it to me......I could not believe it, so I asked him, you want me to reach into my pocket and hand you my pistol? he said ya. I did, but looking back I should have told him to call a supervisor, cause there was no way I was going to reach into my pocket and pull out a pistol
He must have been having a very bad day that day to even think something like that.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do you prefer, O.C ???
I knew this question would come up sooner than later.

State of Texas doesn't require you to tell me. Some still do, some don't. I run their license and it tells me if they are registered to carry. I go back up ask where their weapon is, and most tell me, I left it at home that's why I didn't tell you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I hand him my License along with my permit. (I usually have them ready before they exit the car). Then I usually tell him the location of my piece while I am handing my I.D.'s to him. Never had a problem, only one time the officer asked me to step out and stand by the rear of my car---for our safety, otherwise my hands stay on the wheel.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me ask this, and I hope I am not playing my hand :-D but any of you CCW holders ever been cited after revealing you are a CCW holder?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was stopped a few weeks ago and I just was polite and took the ticket. He never asked if there was anything in the car he would be worried about. Why advertize???

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Let me ask this, and I hope I am not playing my hand :-D but any of you CCW holders ever been cited after revealing you are a CCW holder?

Just the one time I told you about awhile back, haven't been stopped since.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
No ...3 times in the last 30 years.
I have the window down,when he gets there,both hands on wheel. "I have a conceald carry permit and am carrying. The weapon in at my right hip tucked in the seat. How would you like to work this?"

I did have a young officer ask me to"make it safe". I asked if he thought that was a good idea, it's safe where it's at. He said "your right ,have a good day and slow it down a little".

I'm a former Oklahoma LEO,had a guy I pulled over,55 in a 40. Walked up to the 4wd pickup,he had both hands on wheel,half bottle of Jack on the seat next to him a duffle and a rifle in the storage area behind him and a pony tail down his back. I asked if he had been drinking and he explained he was coming back from a deer camp trip and hadn't had any to drink today. I asked if there were anything else in the truck and he said yeah,44 mag under the seat. I asked if it was loaded he said "it wouldn't do me any good if it wasn't". I chuckled, ran his lic and let him go with a warning. Just a "good ol boy" I never gave a ticket to anybody that was carrying legaly.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No ...3 times in the last 30 years.
I have the window down,when he gets there,both hands on wheel. "I have a conceald carry permit and am carrying. The weapon in at my right hip tucked in the seat. How would you like to work this?"

I did have a young officer ask me to"make it safe". I asked if he thought that was a good idea, it's safe where it's at. He said "your right ,have a good day and slow it down a little".

I'm a former Oklahoma LEO,had a guy I pulled over,55 in a 40. Walked up to the 4wd pickup,he had both hands on wheel,half bottle of Jack on the seat next to him a duffle and a rifle in the storage area behind him and a pony tail down his back. I asked if he had been drinking and he explained he was coming back from a deer camp trip and hadn't had any to drink today. I asked if there were anything else in the truck and he said yeah,44 mag under the seat. I asked if it was loaded he said "it wouldn't do me any good if it wasn't". I chuckled, ran his lic and let him go with a warning. Just a "good ol boy" I never gave a ticket to anybody that was carrying legaly.
I knew there was something special about you. :-D

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I knew there was something special about you. :-D
We've been back and forth here and over at Hardcore50 for years now,I've enjoyed your company,hope to run into you someday. I think we'd get along. I think thats the first time I let the cat out of the bag. I have friends I've known for years that don't know that about me.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've been back and forth here and over at Hardcore50 for years now,I've enjoyed your company,hope to run into you someday. I think we'd get along. I think thats the first time I let the cat out of the bag. I have friends I've known for years that don't know that about me.
I will be in Thackerville, Oklahoma at the Winstar from May 10-14th for a school.

Check your pm's.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
In Oregon you don't have to notify, so I didn't tell them. I figured it's none of their business anyway, even though they can look it up. Are you going to rattle off everything else you've done that wasn't breaking the law too?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
In Oregon you don't have to notify, so I didn't tell them. I figured it's none of their business anyway, even though they can look it up. Are you going to rattle off everything else you've done that wasn't breaking the law too?
Even if it's not law ,it's common courtesy....put yourself in his shoes.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts