Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked hundreds of people this and no one seems to know lmao, just curious.. this should get good :smt070fire away

·
Registered
880 Posts
It means you'll have to drag your ass into work on Monday to pay for the shit you broke on the weekend.

·
www.429-460.com
3,565 Posts
About the term "drag racing"
Although the tiretracks of its history are clear, the origin of the term "drag racing" is not. The theories are almost as many and varied as the machines that have populated its ranks for five decades. Explanations range from a simple challenge ("Drag your car out of the garage and race me!") to geographical locale (the "main drag" was a city's main street, often the only one wide enough to accommodate two vehicles), to the mechanical (to "drag" the gears meant to hold the transmission in gear longer than normal).
The first "dragsters" were little more than street cars with lightly warmed-over engines and bodies chopped down to reduce weight. Eventually, professional chassis builders constructed purpose-built cars, bending and welding together tubing and planting the engine in the traditional spot, just in front of the driver; the engines, and the fuels they burned, became more exotic, more powerful, and, naturally, more temperamental.
Like almost all racing cars, they have undergone tremendous evolution as racers upgraded, experimented, theorized, and tested their equipment.
Safety and innovation paved the way to rear-engined Top Fuel cars in the early 1970s, and once drag racing legend Don Garlits - himself a victim of the front-engined configuration when his transmission, which was nestled between his feet, exploded in 1970, severing half of his right foot - perfected the design, the sport never looked back. Today's Top Fuel dragsters are computer-designed wonders with sleek profiles and wind-tunnel-tested rear airfoils that exert 5,000 pounds of downforce on the rear tires with minimal aerodynamic drag.
As racers became smarter, the speed barriers fell: 260 mph toppled in 1984; 270 in 1986; 280 in 1987; 290 in 1989: and the magic 300 mph barrier fell before the wheels of former Funny Car champion Kenny Bernstein on March 20, 1992. Just seven years later, Tony Schumacher became the first to top 330 mph in February 1999, in Phoenix, Ariz.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
It started from street racing many years ago.....meaning if we ever raced , id DRAG your ass through the 1/4...:p

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The name Drag Racing comes from the original racers held their competions on the town's main Drag.
Thats the one I've always thought was right. but after reading BLK88GT's respose I may have to lean that direction! Thats some funny shit there:smt082

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And to bruno, if you've ever been to Garlits museum in Ocala, you car respect the walnuts those guys had! I highly recommend a trip there to anyone who has never been. you'll walk through with your jaw on the floor thinking WOW those guys were NUTS! creative and ingenious but NUTS!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The name Drag Racing comes from the original racers held their competions on the town's main Drag.

Only the dumb asses raced on the main street of town. Reminds me of street racers today. :supz: Wouldn't you rather pay money to race - know the person beside you paid too. One person will win and you receive a time slip to prove it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
A "drag" didn't have to be the main drag of a town. It could be any old drag which in the early days was approx. a city block in length hence drag race, racing on the drag.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Only the dumb asses raced on the main street of town. Reminds me of street racers today. :supz: Wouldn't you rather pay money to race - know the person beside you paid too. One person will win and you receive a time slip to prove it.
Back in the 1950s everyone called the main road in a town the main drag (no idea why) so thats where the name drag racing came from as you did not need a road course just a small straight section of two lane road or a "main drag" as it was called back in the day.

This was started before they had drag strips and continued on for years because very few areas had dragstips (which were usually airports that were rented). This was when you raced on the main drag as the biggest street in town was called. Usually it was the only one wide enough and straight enough to race two cars side by side. Once midnight hit you could drive on the main drag a couple of blocks to a half mile where the town ended and that was where you would have a drag race, just at the outskirts of town. I am 55 and remember when I was 8-10 years old and would visit my grandpas in Cary NC. We used to sleep out in my parents station wagon so we could see the guys do just that as he lived just outside town on the main drag. There would be 30-40 kids out there and they had a flag man and everything. There was no danger to any innocent civilians as there was no traffic and if a car did happen to come along they would wait till it passed to race, keep in mind 15 seconds at 95mph was hauling ass back then the only time you were struggling for traction or control was the first 60ft.

·
Registered
14,330 Posts
Ya'll aren't going back nearly far enough.

It all began when we used to pair up our dinosaurs to see who had the fastest ride. As you may already know, the tails on those things drag quite a bit. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
y'all been around race gas TOOOOOOO long:smt082

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
("Drag your car out of the garage and race me!") i like this one...

·
Registered
392 Posts
YOU EVER BEEN IN YOUR RACE SUIT IN HTE CAR ITS 100* OUTSIDE AND YOUR IN THE LANES AND SOMEONE BREAKS IN FRONT OF YOU ? ITS A DRAG!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts