Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, primarily BBC guys. I have a 1969 L88 427 block with a set of same date made "840" cast closed chamber heads, good 4 bolt main GM steel crank, 7/16 rod bolts, and GM 3879909 part # pistons. My goal is to run the 10.00 index class. I want to know if what I have will be enough to run 10.0s? I figure if the car can run 9.90-80s in cool air and run 10.0s in the heat at I'd be set. Currently I have a mostly stock 396, 215 GM Cast Oval port heads, stock rods, stock iron crank, .598 lift cam, Victor intake with a Holley 850 DP carb milled and worked to probably like 875-900 cfm, The car runs 10.80s in the cool air and 11.0s in the heat. Has a glide with a 5400 8' TCI Converter 12-Bolt rear with Richmond Pro 4.88s.
Again I want to know if i have a good machinist and motor builder do the 840 heads, put a set of rings in it, I have a Holley Strip Dominator Intake, and the milled 850 4150 carb, does it sound logical that the car could run 10.0s? Or would it require a set of different heads and so on? I have an engine builder in mind and will talk to them as well. But right now money is tight (like always) and pretty much just want an idea if what I have is enough or to sit on it and invest in some better bigger components. Cam wise I'll run whatever I have to. Like to just run a mechanical tappet lift cam, whatever lift is needed.

Another question I have is beings the car is will be set up to run 10.0s BUT could dip in the 9.90s, does it have to be cert'd to 8.50? I would design the car to run a 10.0 but if the air happens to be better than expected any runs like a 9.97 for example, would I be thrown out or not allowed to race the next event?

Next question is the class has a limit on tire size. 29x10.5 (non W) is the biggest slick allowed. So beings the car has a 31x14 slick on it now, the class is open to an unlimited size drag radial tire. So my plan would be to run the closest size drag radial tire I could. Would this be a huge issue traction wise? I leave off the Trans break @ 4800. Would the radial cause an issue on launch? What would be a good radial tire to buy near this size?

Last question, what's everyone's preference on plug wires? MSD? Taylor? Ignition is a full MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 coil, MSD 3-Step, etc. Just need a set of new wires and wonder what's the best.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I know this is another one of those "on paper" deals but again, just want to be realistic on the build. You guys have always given me good advice so want to keep it up and see what the verdict is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
you'll be better off getting new alum heads I would suggest trickflow oval ports due to the small ci motor a solid roller cam also for the power you will need will be a must also imho,yes that's a lot of money or leave it alone and put nitrous and a progressive controller on it,it wont take much to achive ur goal 150 shot or so,you need the power to go 9.60's so you can always cover the 10.00 due to weather&wind conditions.no you will not need a chassis cert,stay away from a radial a 29.5x10.5 stiff slick is what you want,taylor,firecore,or moroso for wires, index is very fun!!!!! g/l

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Little confused why to go back with an oval port? These 427s run pretty well with stock big rectangle port heads. Seem like it would be going backwards. Def no NOS here, lol. Like to do it N/A. Thanks for the plug wire names. Firecore seems to have a very nice product. Anyone else have any insight?

·
Registered
188 Posts
My spare motor is a 482 BBC 13.5 to 1 cr 726 714 cam cower rods block s filled to the water jacket. I have merlin VR 345cc cast iron 225 188 int. ex. in my chevelle 3450 ran 10.30 if i had to do it overain i buy alum. heads

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
whats the car weigh? my 427 with 12.5-1 and 840 heads, strip intake with a 1050 on moroso adapter. 680/690 roleer cam 5000stall t350, 4.56 gear, and 31x14's went 9.60's at 2750lbs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car weighs 2890 with about 12 gallons of fuel in it without me (I'm 155 lbs) Bones427 Sounds like a setup that's very close to what I could produce. Again thanks to all you guys for the insight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just for a comparison, I have a 433 12 to 1 motor in my chevelle. Not sure what it weighs but its full interior plus 6 pt bar.I run merlin ovals that have work done to them. th400 with 5000 stall 4:56. 28X9 slick. only have 4 passes on it. Best so far is a 10.71 @ 125. footbrake, 1.50 sixty. Oh yeah solid roller. shift at 7000. I need to find 4 more tenths.. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts