Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hutch? Here goes, tested a weekand a half ago. I start my burn=out in second, pull 3rd and come out of the water. No problem, make a motor pass, no problem.
Next pass, on the hose, small 150 shot, spun the tires (too much air in the M/T radials, pulled 2nd, then 3rd.....no 3rd. All the while(not while I'm racing :shock: ) I've been fine tuning my linkage, it just doesn't feel right. Next pass, car hooks so-so I try to run out thetop of 1st.......car noses over bad at 6k rpm (no fuel pressure loss, I was watching) pulled 2nd power picked back up, ran it out to the shift light, pulled 3rd......no phucking 3rd again!!! works on the burn-out, works driving down the road...WTF
back home on jackstands 175# all gears exept 3 and reverse 160-165#
I did find the cable in a slight bind,fixed that but still feels like something is fighting the shifter while it's running. I havn't changed anything as far as shifter, transcase or the way it's installed in the car.
getting to the track is hard with finances the way they are, I have to make it count, I can't tune on the motor or suspension if I can't make my trans work :? Once again it's a simple 400 no brake turbo action revers manual VB......thanks Hutch

·
Super Moderator
19,351 Posts
The pressures sound fine. Check all the obvious in the shifter linkage and find the bind problem.
Did you verify that the dipstick and tube are calibrated properly?
Set the linkage up so that 1-2-3 are perfect and check to see if there are any signs of the shift linkage hitting the shield. The shields get in the way while the arm is going into 3rd.

Let me know how you make out,Hutch

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hutch said:
Did you verify that the dipstick and tube are calibrated properly?
I'm curious, where exactly should the fluid level be on a 400 when it's not running? Like how far down from the cast hole for the dip stick tube? Assume that this isn't a fresh build and the converter, etc. is already full and all that. I know my dipstick (lokar) is off some but not sure how much.

·
Super Moderator
19,351 Posts
The fluid FULL measurements are, from the dipstick flange that touches the case to the top of the full mark, T400,T350 (1.250") Powerglide ( 1.500"). When checking the oil level be sure to check for any vent obstructions and/or disconnect any venting system from the trans while checking level. Always look at both sides of the dipstick and take the lowest reading as correct. Fill the trans until its right full don't assume its close enough when the oil level is at the bottom of the full area.Its easier to let some oil out then find the trans was damaged by low oil level. I have yet to see a problem other than venting issues with an overfull condition.
The flexible dipstick is very difficult to read ,be careful.

Hope this helps ,Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts