Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sbc little M with a pair of 62s journal bearing turbos. It is a street car so see heat soak and idling in traffic. I have morel hydraulic roller lifters .903 diameter and the instructions state no restrictors and no oil thicker then 10W30. Main and rod clearances were accurately measured(not plastigauge) at .0025mains .0025 rods. I have an HV55 pump. When idling in traffic the oil pressure drops to 15-20 PSI. Nothing shows in the filter when I have a look but 15-20 seems a little low to me. The question is what oil is the most stable in regards to viscosity when it gets hot (doesn't get thin).

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
You may want to put a Oil Temp gauge on it. I have a similar twin turbo combo but with a SHP block. Oil Temp Gauge was pegged at 240* until I put a cooler on it. Made a big difference in hot oil pressure and oil longevity. The turbos put a lot of heat into the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
24,286 Posts
Keeping coolant temps in check will help .

i use to have the same oil pressure at idle as the OP with my SHP block and high pressure HV55 pump . When coolant temp got high . 15W40 Rotella

I now run a 10552ST pump . World Block , not sure that really matters , and 15W40 Rotella .

This is sitting at an idle for an hour with the AC on . And after a 2 hour drive .

No oil cooler .

Engine holds 8qts with filter

0030 on the mains , .0028 on the rods

[/url]gaugeac1hr by David Cedoz, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
How is your lifter bore clearance? I have found over many engines that when you have a machinist that really pays attention to all the lifter's clearance, the oil pressure really benefits.
Wouldn't hurt to put a sensor in the pan and see what the oil temp is when you are having low pressure.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I always recommend running an oil temp gauge. Not sure why it's not done regularly with $20,000+ invested in an engine other than a lot of guys at the dragstrip figure they don't need it but even in these cases it can be helpful to make sure the oil has reached a good minimum temp.

I run 20-50w oil with the Morel Hydraulic lifters though they recommend no more than 30w. If the lifters work fine with 30w at 120deg F why wouldn't they work fine with the 20-50w at 200deg F. My car is setup to run TS which is 3 passes back to back and sometimes within 15-20 minutes. When the car has been sitting long enough to cool down, I idle it to put temp back in it. I won't leave the staging lanes unless I see at least 160deg F oil temp so by the time I stage it's at 180+. To me it's important to get the oil up at least 200 regularly to to boil off moisture.

I have an 8qt pan (SBF) with no oil cooler and have driven the car at highway speeds for hours on end. Temp gets up to 240-260 but if you are running synthetic that is fine. Water temps have the single largest affect on oil temp, the turbos don't have enough to worry about.

Been running this way for over 10 years, so I know it works.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I run 10w40 with morels. They’re a little noisy warming up but quiet down.
Driven has a 50w that morel recommends.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts