Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article on how the epa is having the amount of zinc in oil lowered due to it eating up catalyctic convertors. What oil is everyone using? I'm running regular valvoline, but they said it will effect flat tappet cams more than anything since they rely on the zinc to coat the lobes. When my car was turbo, I used to run rotella diesel oil due to the high zinc content. Just wondering what everyones take is on this. Damn epa!!!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Before mandating zinc and phososphers reduction ,the epa requested that oil companies start to reduce the ppm of both back in the late 1990,s.many oil companies did so.The new API rating SN ,calls for a reformulated zinc that is more catalytic convertor and o2 sensor friendly,SN calls for under 800 ppm phosphers and viscosity modifiers the cause the oil to get thinner over timr in the name of fuel economy,gone are the days of using street car oils in the race car ,but this hasnt been a good idea for a long time anyway.Lets hope the racing oil manufacturers can supply good products .Bill C.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Valvoline Racing oil and Lucas Synthetic Oil additive here.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
vr1

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Brad Penn or vr1 on sale at autozone $2 a qt.

·
Clevelands Rule.
1,671 Posts
All API certified products will have lower levels of zinc to meet the new specs, IE CJ-4 diesel engine oil or SM petrol engine oil.
Go with a race spec oil as they do not have to meet these API specs .
Like Mobil 1 racing, Joe gibbs, LAT, Royal Purple and others.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yeap..... mostly you need to look for the SM rating WITHOUT the GF-4.... the GF-4 puts the 800ppm Phos / 900ppm Zinc limits on the oil. SM will get you 1000-1200ppm Phos / 1100-1300ppm Zinc. The diesel grade stuff which is SL rated can be 1100ppm Phos / 1200ppm Zinc, the SH and SJ ratings on the motorcycle oils can get you up to 1600ppm Phos and 1700ppm Zinc. What I recomend guys use is M1 0W-40 in street/roller cam motors, since it's 1000/1100 levels. On flat tappet or high spring pressure race motors M1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 (1100/1200) at a minimum and the M1 4T 10W-40 (1600/1700) or the M1 Racing 0W-30 (1750-1850) is preffered. Hell good old 15W-50 M1 is a good oil to run with 1200/1300 levels in it.

There are also a lot of nice cheap oils that you can get at the auto parts store like Dello 400 or Rotella that are high in Phos and Zinc levels that are pretty cheap.

Bret

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The Shell and Mobile diesel oils are also lower than they were a few years ago. VR-1 Valvoline. It is on sale at Auto Zone until the end of the month for $2.15 qt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts