Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The power gain/loss would have to do with how your motor was built I would think. If the motor is assembled with 0w10 oil in mind and you throw 20w50 in it, there would most definitely be power loss.

·
Long Live The King
102,144 Posts
Never heard of oil making enough impact on power to change E.T.
He didn't say what his engine is, but my 565 saw a max of 12 hp at 6,800 rpm one year on the dyno ( 855 hp pump gas combo) . Two other times the Mobil 1 15/50 saw 10 hp more than Castrol 20-50.

Both smblks saw 8 hp between 6,400-7,000 with syn. As you said more than likely not enough to show up anywhere.

for what it's worth I agree with the post above from Matt G

G-

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Don't know about changing the weight but, several years ago a reputable Pro Stock crew chief told me that he has seen the dry sump pump consume as much as 21 HP on his pro stock motors. That was when they were using the #9.

·
Registered
576 Posts
:confused: anyone's thoughts on this????
there is some interesting reading on a new joe gibbs oil flyer...not sure if it is on the website.....but it gives specific recommendations on oil for bearing clearence BUT there is also a chart for oil vs rpm vs power level.for example: a 1000hp engine that turns 7500-10w-30......a 1000hp engine that turns 9000-5w-20....of coarse bearing clearence would also be a factor....not going to run .0035-.0040 with 5w-20........food for thought even if u don't use gibbs oil........also my boss runs a top sportsman car with a new rehr-morrison 622 with 3 stages(runs6.6xxx)...and they said 10w-30 synthetic race oil is fine..........so why 20w-50 or heavier...i don't know

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
there is some interesting reading on a new joe gibbs oil flyer...not sure if it is on the website.....but it gives specific recommendations on oil for bearing clearence BUT there is also a chart for oil vs rpm vs power level.for example: a 1000hp engine that turns 7500-10w-30......a 1000hp engine that turns 9000-5w-20....of coarse bearing clearence would also be a factor....not going to run .0035-.0040 with 5w-20........food for thought even if u don't use gibbs oil........also my boss runs a top sportsman car with a new rehr-morrison 622 with 3 stages(runs6.6xxx)...and they said 10w-30 synthetic race oil is fine..........so why 20w-50 or heavier...i don't know
Thanks I will look in to the Gibbs info. Yes this is more of the info I would like to see as in what kind of bearing clearences should be used with these lightweight oils like 0w-20 and 0w-30.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Never heard of oil making enough impact on power to change E.T.
O.k., now you have. It makes a difference. Just like any other component, the correct oil can and will make a noticeable difference in your vehicle performance. Now, if said vehicle is not refined enough (consistent) that could mask any potential changes.

As far as clearance goes, you need to always make sure you have enough as too tight will hurt you EVERY time. You might be surprised at the pressure differences actually obtained by changing oil weights AND brands.

·
Registered
576 Posts
O.k., now you have. It makes a difference. Just like any other component, the correct oil can and will make a noticeable difference in your vehicle performance. Now, if said vehicle is not refined enough (consistent) that could mask any potential changes.

As far as clearance goes, you need to always make sure you have enough as too tight will hurt you EVERY time. You might be surprised at the pressure differences actually obtained by changing oil weights AND brands.
ben i don't suppose you want to give up what bearing clearence/oil/oil pressure you run???;)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Half a tenth faster? Wow! I haven't seen that.

I've done it so many times, its like clock work to see that gain on my setup. I've had this setup for 3 yrs, First few times I switched I logged the new oil and weight, then really started to track it to see the gains of the oil.

I've had 15w40 rottella and 5w20 castrol in it. They also seen the same results, the thinner oil was faster :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts