Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running some sort of filter on the oil return line? I have a -4 feed coming off the filter adapter that feeds the turbo. Then a -12 return to the side of the pan. After lsfest I had a turbo bearing failure that sent lots of debri through the engine. I pulled the pan, changed the oil twice with just a few min run time. But still managed to hurt the engine in Indy. Lost oil pressure and I'm sure it spun a bearing. Just trying to prevent this In the future.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Maybe if you were scavenging the turbo drain or filter after scavenge on pressure return but you would still hurt the scavenge pump that way. That would be better than the engine though. I don't think you could get enough free gravity flow thru a filter without backing oil up in the turbo and pushing it past the seals. There is a slim chance it would work gravity fed but the filter media would have to be huge to not cause backpressure. Definately an experiment that may have merit but you may tear up some shit perfecting it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Pic of the Wolfe flange...

very simple and it will keep any large parts out of the drain without restricting the flow enough to hurt the turbo...
Thats a nice piece.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pic of the Wolfe flange...

very simple and it will keep any large parts out of the drain without restricting the flow enough to hurt the turbo...
That looks like a nice piece for the bigger stuff for sure. I had thought about the scavenge pump also. Just something else to fail. But much cheaper than the engine.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
IMHO, the filtered scavenge pump is the ticket. I had never seen the Wolfe screen until now (thanks Reed!) but I wouldn't be shy about using both in conjunction with one another. If either one saves your engine, they're both worth it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Are you sure the occurrence of events did not happen the other way around?
I have personally never seen a turbo bearing fail, causing a engine bearing to fail. I am not saying it cant happen, just that I have never seen that happen.
I have however seen it the other way around many many times. The oil holes or ports in a turbo are very small, and if there is any debris at all in the oil, or if there is any oiling issue in the motor, it generally shows up in the turbo before it is discovered in the motor.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I got a filter from Reed for my turbo, that went on the feed side. It saved my turbo at least three times. I would also filter the feed to the turbo. Just a suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts