Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am building a 417 d3 headed windsor, it will have a wet sump with external oil pump.The engine will see 9200rpm.The block is a dart iron eagle.What do you guy do in reguards to oil restrictors, i will be feeding the engine from the front of the block.

thanks

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Read this.

http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/37/

LIFTER GALLEY RESTRICTORS​
The lifter feed at the front & rear of the lifter valley are threaded for an 1/8” NPT plug. There are two
lifter feed passages under the cross over plug (1/2” NPT). It is the one coming from the main oil galley,
towards the passenger side. The threaded portion is between the main oil galley and the passenger side
lifter oil galley. This restricts both right & left lifter galleys. Because it restricts both sides the orifice size in
the 1/8” NPT plug should be large enough to feed both sides. These restrictors are located at both ends of
the block. To restrict the lifters you need to either install restrictors at both ends or plug one end and
restrict the other. Some engine builders prefer to plug the end they are feeding the main oil galley from​
and install restrictors at the opposite end. This gives you priority main oiling before feeding the lifters.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
you must first totally understand what the above post is referring to
\

and then you must understand what happens when you feed oil to both ends of the lifter valley....

overall,

it is not just as simple as here and there ...or put this here...and a certain hole there...

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you do research on this most lifter companys nowadays day that if you are running a prioraty main oiling system block like dart you dont actually need to run a oil restricter even jesel will tell you this, they say with the way the block are made today let the lifter become the restrictor. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ordinary builder would be the one to tell you how to do it right. I know enough to get me in trouble. I have a Dart Iron Eagle SBF Block and I have a wet sump. I have Morel Solid Roller Lifters with a 55mm camshaft. I can see the oil bands of the lifters inside the galley when I roll the motor over. I will feed the motor from the front and will block the front and drill a .060 hole in the rear plug. If I am doing this wrong please let me know. Seems everyone says to do something different. I also thought about drilling a small hole in both of them but dont know how small to go?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would read the instructions from dart on the Iron Eagle block. Since you have an external oil pump I would Highly Suggest feeding the motor from the back of the block. Dart refers to this as priority main oiling. I had some issues with a 427sbf that I put together with an external oil pump and the change I made was feeding it from the front to the back. If you look at the block you will see that in the front the oil passages go in a few different directions, but in the back it goes straight down to the mains. I would also suggest putting return lines on the back of the cylinder heads as well. This will help in keeping the pan from running dry and it doesn't cost much to do. Just some AN fittings and hose. I know it may also cost some horse power , but I would also suggest adding some additional holes in the lifter valley as well.
Just my two cents.
Anthony

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
the REAR INLETS ARE STRAIGHT FEED WITH NO "TURNS"...

..........THINK ABOU IT...!!!!

some even add asmall bleed line to feed the front...

ALSO matters,...
where is the oil filter going to be located....???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have no room to feed the engine from the rear or to run drain backs at the rear due to limited space ,the oil filter is mounted to front engine plate

thanks for the replys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts