Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever added an oil restrictor to a SBF Dart SHP block? Any pics... advice? Tony at Dart told me to tap for a 1/8 NPT pipe plug and drill it for a .120 - .130 orifice but can't quit picture where he's talking about. It's got plugs in the 11, 1 and roughly 3 o'clock position but now I'm lost as usual. :oops:

·
Registered
477 Posts
It needs to be between the mains supply and the lifter gallery.
personally I think that orifice size is too large.
it can be tricky to get down into that area but with an extension I’ve managed to do it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this sound right......... I removed the 1/2 npt plug at the top of the block that looks to be the oil cross over.
I just tap the hole on the right side? I'll get a pic if it helps. I kinda agree with you russxr on the orifice size. I think Dart may be wanting it on the safe side as most of the reading I've done has guys running closer to the .090 size.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A .120 or .130 restrictor? May as well not run one...
I'm just going off of Dart's recommendation as it feeds both banks. Alright.......got the location figured out and a long reach tap ordered from McMaster Carr. Now onto orifice size. Remember it has to feed both sides of the galley. Thoughts?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm just going off of Dart's recommendation as it feeds both banks. Alright.......got the location figured out and a long reach tap ordered from McMaster Carr. Now onto orifice size. Remember it has to feed both sides of the galley. Thoughts?
Are you tapping under the core plug in the valley or the 2 feed ports to the lifters? I would like to know where the long tap is needed--photo?. Really curious as I'm also putting an SHP together that I suspect fills the valve covers and led to a dry bearing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you tapping under the core plug in the valley or the 2 feed ports to the lifters? I would like to know where the long tap is needed--photo?. Really curious as I'm also putting an SHP together that I suspect fills the valve covers and led to a dry bearing.
Thru the 1/2" npt plug in the top. Dart provided me with this pic even though it's not from a SHP it shows where the plug goes.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can find all this information on darts website, you don't need restrictors anyway.
Dart doesn't have info that regarding the SHP blocks, only the higher up race stuff. I am filling both valve covers up even with a std volume pump and thick wall pushrods from Trend. If you don;t think I need them than what's the better solution?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
If that doesn't help I probably have some instructions here for a shp, I have one sitting in the shop I;ll look tomorrow

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SHP block don't have those provisions on both sides and aren't machined/ threaded like the Iron Eagle from the factory. The pic I got from Dart is the front crossover from the iron eagle that's why I just posted it for reference. Thanks for the help though!

After reading my last post, do you still think I have other options rather than restrict the lifter galley?

·
Registered
477 Posts
One of the things that I do when building a high end engine is to test the amount of oil being pumped up to the top end and use devices such as restricter style pushrods and the restricters to get it where it needs to be.
Start on the small side ,say .050 and work from there.
Every combo is going to be different so just test it and go from there.
Is this a front sumped drag raced engine?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dart doesn't have info that regarding the SHP blocks, only the higher up race stuff. I am filling both valve covers up even with a std volume pump and thick wall pushrods from Trend. If you don;t think I need them than what's the better solution?
Restrictor style pushrods may get you there but in our engine we did both those and drilled and tapped for the restrictor.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a front sumped primarily drag engine. Some street time but not a ton. I'd rather not get new pushrods. I can only fit 5/16 in these old street heads so Trend made me a nice thick wall (.110 I believe) set and they only have about 40 runs on them. Please explain your test procedures if you don't mind. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
A .090 hole drilled in a 1/8" pipe plug is still going to move a shit ton of oil. I'd try more like .075 or so....
Look at the length of restriction, it isn't much, if that hole had 2" of length with .090 it'd be a different story.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts