Yellow Bullet Forums banner

oil pump efficiency......

6K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  69427 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is building a SBF and we got to talking about improving oil pump efficiency & limiting power loss. I was wondering if anyone or a company has tried using a friction cutting coating on pump gears and/or body to minimize drag on the pump while it's pumping oil? This may be old technology or IS being used but I haven't heard of it. Can anyone educate me or tell me what they think of the idea? I'm thinking the idea isn't trick or extreme by any means but I'm thinking maybe this idea isn't even being addressed?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
do you realize a 1/4 horse electric drill will make 60 psi ???? thats how much horsepower your using,,,,wasting your time
My friend's an engineer----real detail oriented. I got curious about this when "Engine Masters" did an episode of oil & oilpans & how they effect horsepower. We were discussing this when the topic of drag on the pump got brought up. Neithr of us could recall if it was brought up on the show & the question came up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.