Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Buddy with a Fresh 460 ci BBC , built by a known good builder, question I have is when the Engine is warm 60lbs of oil pressure as it warms up it falls off , like normal then eventually it goes to Zero on the Guage, Doesn't knock or Smoke. It has Brad Penn 20W50 in it and a Moroso Oil filter , whats you guys thoughts on this? The First Pass it was Fine, the Second pass is when it happened. Max RPM of the engine 6500 with ARP Stuff Top to bottom . He Shut it off and Brought it home and hasn't done anything with it. Checked the oil and its Clean no metallic or anything.:confused:

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I have a Buddy with a Fresh 460 ci BBC , built by a known good builder, question I have is when the Engine is warm 60lbs of oil pressure as it warms up it falls off , like normal then eventually it goes to Zero on the Guage, Doesn't knock or Smoke. It has Brad Penn 20W50 in it and a Moroso Oil filter , whats you guys thoughts on this? The First Pass it was Fine, the Second pass is when it happened. Max RPM of the engine 6500 with ARP Stuff Top to bottom . He Shut it off and Brought it home and hasn't done anything with it. Checked the oil and its Clean no metallic or anything.:confused:
If its an OEM block check for a spun cam bearing!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How's a spun cam bearing going to kill off oil pressure unless it spun it's way out of the bore, exposing the supply hole? If it did happen eventually it would lock up the cam IMHO. Not to mention BBC's take a pile of force to install, more than any other engine I've worked on.

The pump/pickup seems like a logical place to start looking.

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have added earlier, this happened in the water Box , During the Burnout The Engine died, Owner attempted to restart 3 times it wouldn't even crank , Hit the key Switch just one more time it spun over hard but fired and he got it off the track , then we loaded it up and took it home. Since then he has started it and Oil pressure is doing the same thing 60 lbs Cold as it warms steadily falls off to eventually zero on the Guage.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
How's a spun cam bearing going to kill off oil pressure unless it spun it's way out of the bore, exposing the supply hole? If it did happen eventually it would lock up the cam IMHO. Not to mention BBC's take a pile of force to install, more than any other engine I've worked on.

The pump/pickup seems like a logical place to start looking.
Not the first time I have seen this happen!!!

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,157 Posts
The hard start is the tell tale sign for me. Bearing somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts