Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So is 60 psi a problem or not?
From what I have reached as a conclusion "No 60 psi is not a problem."

It seems to be typical for LSs to have falling oil pressure during a run. I haven't had many LS experienced guys talk to me about windage. But in the sbc world there comes a time in RPM guys stop using windage trays. They tend to cause more issues that solve. Is this the case with LSs? Is > 7000 a point not to use a tray in LS?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
A couple of thoughts.
1.The 60 psi reading is at the gauge. What is it at the parts that are missing out on the protection?
2.If all parts are full and well lubricated, why do we need more than we need?
3. I have raced hard, with 5 to 10 psi at idle and 30 psi showing on high rpm 500 inch PS stuff in my days. Parts looked perfect.
4. Oil psi minus vacuum equals a different reading than oil psi with no Vacuum pump engine use...why?
5, Okay cool thread yall.. :)

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
From what I have reached as a conclusion "No 60 psi is not a problem."

It seems to be typical for LSs to have falling oil pressure during a run. I haven't had many LS experienced guys talk to me about windage. But in the sbc world there comes a time in RPM guys stop using windage trays. They tend to cause more issues that solve. Is this the case with LSs? Is > 7000 a point not to use a tray in LS?
I do know things get worse without the factory tray!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
. I have raced hard, with 5 to 10 psi at idle and 30 psi showing on high rpm 500 inch PS stuff in my days. Parts looked perfect.
Never seen any info anywhere letting someone know how much pressure equates to adequate flow and protection lol. I have a bbc turbo deal that’s only seeing 48-50 psi at wot. 15w-40. I dont like it but suspect i have alot of loss thru my remote filter lines and mount, and maybe some thru the lifters. Idk

·
Registered
473 Posts
My NA all aluminum engine has ~.0024” rod and main clearance and is turned to 8k rpm. Oiling system also has a remote filter mount with WIX 51060R filter and a remote cooler. I have always run synthetic 5w-30 and always have oil between 160-170* before making a pass. Oil pressure at idle is ~50psi and jumps to 70 on the 2-step but drops to 55-60psi at wot going down the track. Started out with a Schumann’s oil pump and changed to a Melling 10355 high pressure/high volume pump and both had same results except Melling pump had more psi at idle. I worried about it and tried heavier oil and less vacuum but nothing helped so I went with it. More than 60-75 passes, two Drag Weeks and 3k+ street miles and bearings were good when we tore it down last month.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts