Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on Speedtalk as well, I need all the help I can get....

I've been fighting an oil pressure problem for a while now. Posted on here before, but have more info now. I run sand drags(300 ft track)

My combination:
434 sbc
motown race block, Lunati solid roller
AFR 210 heads ported by Heads Up
eagle crank and rods
milodon drag pan w/ 7 qts of Royal Purple, wix racing filter
melling hv55 pump with milodon extreme duty pick-up

First race of the season I lost oil pressure during a run. Shut it off and coasted off the track. Re-fired the engine and had 70 lbs pressure. Brought it home and pulled the pan to find the pick-up in the bottom of the pan. Fixed that, checked all the bearings(they all looked good) and replaced the oil filter adapter with a billet adapter for good insurance. Next race I make a couple qualifying passes and start loosing oil pressure on the return road after the second pass. Race gets rained out so I bring it home. This weekend I loose oil pressure in the middle of a pass. Pulled the pan and everything looks great inside.

This engine has been together for 5 or 6 years and didnt used to act this way. Oil pressure gauge needle moves around all the time (3-4 lb jump).

Is my oil pump cavitating or just not working correctly. Is it possible to pump the pan dry? I'm probably going to order a Titan pump. Is anyone on here a Titan dealer? I'm almost ready to pull my hair out over this.

Jason

·
Registered
133 Posts
Loosing oil pressure during a run? What does it do? Does it head to zero? How much clearance between the pan and the pick-up? Sounds like it might be too close to the bottom of the pan,,,Dave

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
melling hv55 pump is not a pump I would want any how Get the Milidon one while the pan is off casting changes ( pump breaks) plus a powderd gear in the hv55 make it a no go sounds like might be close to the bottom to me too you wont pump one dry in 300 feet unless theres a rag in the lifter valley, by the way does it have a open lifter valley, or just the small holes for drain back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pan to pick-up is 3/8" or so. I can double check.

When the warning light comes on, I double check the gauge and its falling past 20 lbs. I shut it off before it gets any farther. By the time I un-buckle and get my helmet off the oil pressure is back at 70 lbs when I fire it back up.

The intake valley has screens and tall vents in the center pipe plug holes. Should those holes be left open?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
CVR has billet aluminum and cast steel pumps with billet gears. Dump the Melling, may or may not be your problem but not worth destroying an engine over. Titan if you can afford it.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I can do you more than right on a Titan Pump. I would also suggest eithger a bigger pan or an Accusump to give you a larger source supply. If the Titan has oil, it will pump it. It has two very large intake openings to feed the pump. It is designed to eliminate cavitation, but will require to be constantly fed. If you can do anythin to aid in a quicker drain back no matter what pump you use I suggest to do it. I have recenly started to adding oil drain back holes in the rear lower part of the heads on back side and plumbing a AN -12 hose on each side back to the lower part of block or oil pan.

If you do want a Titan Pump I can sell to you at Jobber. Email me. Do Not PM me.

Ed

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
On my world Block we made the small holes into long ones for drain back above the camshaft like a Dart Block has

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive run mellings and never had an issue untill last year on my N/A build. 3/4 way down the track or sustained rpm my oil pressure would drop off from 60 to 20 lbs. I always ran a wix filter. Believe it or not I put 20 50 vr1 oil in it and never had the problem again. I chose that oil because I read on the back that it was anticavatating. Im assuming cavatation was the issue. Just my experience with a pressure issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got an update.....

I pulled the intake to make sure there was nothing there to inhibit flow back to the pan and everything looked great. I'm ordering a Titan billet pump from Ed as we speek. I really wanted to go to a race this weekend so I stuck a new Milodon pump in it that I had on the shelf for another project and everything went back to normal. I'll switch over to the Titan pump when it arrives.

Thanks for the advice everybody.
Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts