Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always run the a Moroso winged drag race oil pan on my small block. So this last time I redid the car I changed to a Stef's Affordable drag race pan and also added a Moroso 4 vain vacuum pump. Now I have a problem with the oil pressure dropping to nothing when I get on the brakes in the traps. The zero oil pressure last a couple seconds then picks back up, like the pick up is having cavitation?

It is one of Stef's production "affordable" Summit / Jegs pans, but it has trap doors, pick up is 1/4 of the floor of the pan checked with Playdoh (yes we removed the Playdoh, LOL).

Wondering if it is the pan or if the vacuum pump could somehow be causing the issue?

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
oil is sloshing away from pick up when you hit the brakes. Simple fix is to add 2-3 more quarts. Or get a swinging pick up. Or get a accumulator.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had the same thing and went with the accumulator.

PS - depending upon the size you get, they can get pretty large. I put mine mounted to the firewall but up and under so the fender covers it for the most part. When running the line, had to position it right so the tire would not hit the line when turning

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would go with the accumulator, I have one and never worry about oil pressure loss on deceleration. Also good for pre oil when car hasn't been run for a while.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would go with the accumulator, I have one and never worry about oil pressure loss on deceleration. Also good for pre oil when car hasn't been run for a while.
X2, i like my accumalator for pre lube and it never loses pressure in the shut down.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Some guys set it up with a electric solinoid valve so on startup it opens the valve. I got a digger and its easy to get at the valve so I do the manual thing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mine goes to zero with a dry sump.??
where are you scavage lines located. i have this problem on my bbf boss engine. i do not have a scavage line in the front of the pan. when i hit the brakes the oil psi drops. i am only running a 3 stage pump.
george

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
Were you running the vacuum pump with the 'old' pan? I started having that problem after I installed a vacuum pump on my BBC but I wouldn't touch the throttle after going through the traps until the pressure come up again. Never had any bearing damage, but I have an accumulator now.

·
T/S 368E
32,905 Posts
Mine goes to zero with a dry sump.??

What the heck tank do you have. There should be plenty of volume so that never happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Were you running the vacuum pump with the 'old' pan? I started having that problem after I installed a vacuum pump on my BBC but I wouldn't touch the throttle after going through the traps until the pressure come up again. Never had any bearing damage, but I have an accumulator now.
No, I added the pan and vacuum pump at the same time. Makes me wonder?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
To the OP how much vacuum are you pulling ????

1 - 20 of 50 Posts