Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a vac. pump on my sbc and ran it this weekend. My oil pan is a Hamburgers that I generally run 6 quarts in it. I have a Dart bolck and the oil filter is mounted remote due to header clerence. I have run this pan on my old motor for years and on the new one before the vac. pump and never had an issue. Now when I lift on the big end the needle bounces on the OIL gauge and will hit zero long enough for me to have to shut the motor off. The breather for the vac. pump is not full of oil, I have 6 passes and maybe a couple drips outta it. I realize the pickup is prolly uncovering but why now with the vac pump. Could oil be collecting up in the right valve cover where the inlet is? Or less pressure in the crankcase to keep the oil in the bottom of the pan? My vac. gauge is plumed in the driver side head and I had the relief set at 10". Before I had the header evac tubs which likely did very little. Also can very much damage occur? I have coated bearings and run RP oil with clearences in the middle.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
This has been discussed before and not long ago. My guess is you have no atmospheric pressure to push oil into the pump since you are now in a vacuum. Mine does the same thing and has since I built it last year. Most tracks that I use alot of brake on to stop lets my oil pressure go to 0 for a few seconds. It hasn't hurt mine at all and I checked the bearings at the end of last year. I run uncoated Clevit. Some folks feel this is a terrible thing and you need to add accumulators and stuff. Me and all my friends all have the problem and never have had an issue from it. RM

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine does the same thing.I just shift to nuetral and a couple pumps on gas and pressure returns to normal.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Same here and I just got over it......

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm of the accumulator opinion, worth the peace of mind.
I may be of your frame of mind after I also when I pull the pan this winter too !! but for now I am satisfied all is well and not being harmed. My motor is a new all aluminum 615 at 1100 hp. I am hovering over it and doing overly frequent oil changes like a mother hen, no bad signs so far so i am settling into the idea it is ok. Racing heads up on an 8.5" tire so I just cant arbitarily add weight to the nose of the car.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to try adding another quart, but will likely shut the motor off if it continues. Anyone have any trick ideas for mounting an accumulator so it's not adding weight on the nose?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would think it could be effective mounted toward the rear and plumbed forward but if you keep reading and checking on your engine you will likely decide as so many others have that it is not hurting anything when it is just spinning and not making power.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
You can see mine behind the engine(blue Accusump), mount it wherever it is convenient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts