Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sbc, race 1/4mi. When i do a motor only pass the oil pressure is fine, traps around 7000rpm. But when i spray it will spin to 7800rpm through the traps. Right when i let off the gas the engine momentarily loses oil pressure for about 1-2 seconds, (it might be less but it feels like an eternity) it'll drop from 70psi to 5psi then bounce right back up to about 50 while the engine is decelerating.

Engine is a sbc 3.48 stroke, have a scraper and windage tray, 7 qt moroso pan. High pressure low volume oil pump, no restrictors, oil return passages have been opened up for faster oil return. solid roller cam, and has a vacuum pump if that matters.

I was going to cut up the crossmember to fit a larger capacity pan but found most race pans are 7qt. Any ideas before i try and stuff a 10qt dragster style pan in an s-10 chassis?

Lemme know if you need anymore info

·
Registered
69 Posts
oil is running away from the pick up as soon as you lift, after a second or two it recovers. cut 3 pieces of metal, drill holes in them, and weld them to the pick up tube (in front of pick up of course).

·
Registered
738 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are not under power.If it bothers you that much I would put an accumulator on it before I put a flat bottom pan on it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not trying to sell anything but if your in the need, I have a 3 qt Moroso accumulator and solenoid I ran for just a few months that I would sell. $100.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
How many gts of oil you running? Does the pan have trap doors in it in.?
how close is the pick up to the pan?

But souldnt be a problem its not under load

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many gts of oil you running? Does the pan have trap doors in it in.?
how close is the pick up to the pan?

But souldnt be a problem its not under load

7qts, ive tried 8 and it didnt seem to help. the pan is moroso #20160, it looks like a stock style pan with an extra deep sump, it does have a single baffle and trap door.

the pickup is 3/8 off the pan.

A few of you dont seem to be very worried about it, maybe its more common than i think, the motor is still decelerating when it happens around 4-5k rpm, no load/ not under power

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
The 20160 is a decent pan if you have room for it, just needs more baffles than it comes with. It needs a plate above the pickup in front and back of it to keep the oil from climbing on accel and decel, and the pickup should not be all the way in the back of the pan but in between the front and back of the sump. The deeper the sump the better. An open flat pan will be worse, not better. An accumulator should fix your ills.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hold on guys, I'm flooded with emails. I'll go down the list with pics, as they came in, it even comes with billet brackets. I think somebodies going to get a deal. I'll still sell it for $100. + shipping, I think that's fair.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Hold on guys, I'm flooded with emails. I'll go down the list with pics, as they came in, it even comes with billet brackets. I think somebodies going to get a deal. I'll still sell it for $100. + shipping, I think that's fair.
Let me know

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts