Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this is hurting me- or just ignore it as I'm not about to pull the engine right now. Have a relatively fresh 385 sbc and have noticed oil in the plenum of the TPI (FIRST) and not a small amount some time ago. I suspect a poorly running efi-engine break in may have washed the cylinders, or perhaps the Moroso 20206 oil pan (I think- never saw the interior of the pan there is two very similar looking versions). A catch can with another DD collects a nasty mix of water/carbon/fuel, on this engine it is collecting clean oil which could drained back to the crank case...I'll just keep an eye on it and empty at each service. Engine does not smoke, I don't notice much oil usage on the dipstick. I haven't tuned in awhile so it may have been an issue for octane tolerance which I thought at the time was leaning out, in a couple months will get it tuned by a pro and see what he thinks about knock with premium fuel, no audible knock- but that particular issue was before installing the catch can. Whats your opinion- what have you seen with incorrect PCV valving- still running GM 5.7L valve.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Does it still take fresh air in to the throttlebody from the other valvecover like stock tpi? One side is pcv and other line is from opposite cover to throttle. I have seen oil in plenums. I just ran cover breathers. Or one side breather and pcv on other. Covers used baffles

If no baffle get a air oil separator

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes it does pull fresh air from TB on pass side, port is in front of the TB blades. Breather was the next step- I was eyeing a loose breather in the garage the other day. Covers are stock GM vette magnesium with baffles. Have an air/oil separator installed now and it is intercepting oil.
Just curious:
Is this a poor oil control issue.
A PCV fault
I would have thought the engine to be more of an oil burner.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What do your plugs look like? If you are pulling that much oil into the catch can/plenum, I would cap the system and start it with it venting to atmosphere and see how much crank case pressure you really have coming out of the breathers. I suspect it's a baffle issue, but you need to dig further.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last time I had the plugs out- I had no concerns. I'm getting some exhaust work done- I've brought up the pcv issue. Adjustable pcv has also been brought up as the eo pcv valve may not be cutting it.
BTW, since this is an aftermarket intake and vacuum ports are sparse, I run hydroboost so the pcv is tied to the brake booster vacuum port.

·
Registered
200 Posts
With a good catch can you should not see any significant oil past can. Any oil in induction system/combustion chamber is going to promote detonation. It you rattle the motor it's going to impact ring seal and promote oil past rings into CC. It can be a vicious cycle if not managed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,

Please have the interested parties e-mail their order to me and mention Daves2020 Group Buy to receive the discount. When I receive 6 orders I will send each party their invoices through PayPal which they can pay for with any credit card. Thank for your getting your group buy together.

Barbara Wagner

Customer Service
M/E Wagner Performance Products
570-899-4544
www.mewagner.com

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I’ve been contemplating this pcv for some time now. 464 Buick w a quick fuel 780 vac.
Was 13” of vacuum w a qjet w a nice Lopey cam. The qjet crapped out and I haven’t been able to get another to repeat my first one. So bought this 780 and can’t get it just right anymore.
I’ve read only good things about this pcv system on different sites.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've read nothing bad about it either except cost;) I would see Cliff's about the Qjet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dave,
I’ve sent your PayPal invoice. The group buy will be available until March 31. This will give others a fair amount of time to respond. Thank you for organizing this group buy.

Barbara Wagner
Customer Service
M/E Wagner Performance Products
570-899-4544
www.mewagner.com

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Well, I've read nothing bad about it either except cost;) I would see Cliff's about the Qjet.
I read his book. Need to read it 2x more.
The guys I used think they have the knowledge. They sure don’t and took carb farther out of tune than I did building them stock. I have a couple left I believe and need to reread book slowly and deliberately.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dealt with Cliff a few years ago rebuilding a Qjet for a warm 350sbc, he wanted to know all the specs and supplied kit with jets and rods- expensive but that might be what it takes to get the Qjet where it needs to be.
Wagner is one of the better companies I have dealt with- thanks for your order.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought two calibrated kits off him one for a Rochester Qjet and another for Edelbrock 850 Qjet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts