Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what you guys are running on your street/strip cars. I never use Fram as I have heard they have issues with collapsing. I usually run a Purolator L20049 on my sbc 385 street/strip car.

I know there are so many different brands, some with different names but manufactured by the same company. Just curious as to what you all are running and why.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Is your oil filter adapter still equipped with the by-pass spring or do you have it blocked off ?

Nothing wrong with a Fram filter as long as you are running the correct one for the application. I've ran Fram HP4 filters for at least a dozen years on my 406 Chevrolet racing engine w/o any issues and I have the adapter by-pass plugged. What you don't want to do is use a filter that limits oil flow.

For a street/strip application, use a racing filter.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I like wix, Napa's filters are made by them. Good filters for the price. However, on all my street vehicles, I run exclusively Amsoil filters. My dragster will have a system one.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Wix or a Napa

·
Registered
42 Posts
Napa is made by the same manufacturer as Wix, and Mobil1 is made by the same manufacturer as K&N. All of those brands rate high in tests of durability and filtration, and at least one or more is usually readily available locally. If you care about your engine, I'd go with one of those for street/strip. Fram used to be a decent filter, but the quality of builds from their supplier is not good anymore. Oddly, their different lines (Tough Guard, Xtra Guard, etc.) are sourced from different suppliers, and the quality varies widely. Racing filters like Moroso are made for racing, and usually do not have any kind of bypass, and the micron ratings are very large to flow well. Not necessarily a good feature in a street/strip car that doesn't get the oil changed every few passes and needs to stay together for extended periods between rebuilds.

For you average street car that you're just going to trade in sooner or later, go with the cheapest you can find, it will do the job. But for a street/strip car that you really care about, I would stay with one of the first four brands I mentioned. Just another opinion.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

·
Registered
14,799 Posts
K&N, Baldwin, Moroso, Wix Racing (Napa Gold). Since Fram sold to Allied they went by way of China and have gotten very cheap. I won't use them any longer.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
System One with the correct screen for your application , take it apart and see what is in it , clean and re-install it . How many people actually cut their filters apart to see what is inside it ? , a few but not most .

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
System one here as well. The last oil filter you have to buy. Pull it apart , clean and reinstall. Don't know why everyone don't use'em ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
napas filters are made by wix... get the gold line

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Mobil 1 on the race cars, Purolator on the everyday vehicles and K&N's on the boat

now to the O/P, if you want a better filter for your appt, you might want to try the Purolater PL20049

·
Registered
712 Posts
I use NAPA Gold...Wix.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wix, they make them for Carquest up here too. I cut apart a Fram filter a few years ago off my parts chaser just for the hell of it, ....then took the the 2 new ones off the shelf and threw them in the trash!!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts