Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Oil & Filter recommendation - Pump Gas 505 BBC

9K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  NPS Nova 
#1 ·
About to change oil and filter in my street / strip truck. Just curious what the trending oil and filter is these days. The motor is not a huge power maker 600 ish NA hp and it gets a 200 shot once in a while. Currently no obvious problem with conventional oil. I am running solid roller and brass cam gear etc so I I thought I would see what has been deemed to be "the" going choice these days. Might try and give her something a little better than the Penzoil and a AC filter. 😂

#4 · (Edited)
FYI,

Wix Racing filters have a micron rating of 61. Not the best to use for a street-strip car.

K&N has a 10 micron rating. Baldwin filters (their Chevy racing filters) are around 18 microns IIRCC. Baldwin B279.

For street cars there are better choices than a Wix Racing filter. Including K&N, Baldwin, Napa Gold, Wix (but not the racing), Royal Purple and Mobil One, Jomar. The RP and M1 filters are the same as K&N if memory serves.

#57 ·
FYI,

Wix Racing filters have a micron rating of 61. Not the best to use for a street-strip car.

K&N has a 10 micron rating. Baldwin filters (their Chevy racing filters) are around 18 microns IIRCC. Baldwin B279.

For street cars there are better choices than a Wix Racing filter. Including K&N, Baldwin, Napa Gold, Wix (but not the racing), Royal Purple and Mobil One, Jomar. The RP and M1 filters are the same as K&N if memory serves.
Might want to buy one filter for mercury racing 1350 see how it’s made inside. Probably well made filter it’s standard size think will fit a Chevy.

#13 ·
Yes, XP is synthetic media. Supposedly quoted from Wix as 99% efficient @ 35 microns. When it first came out it was rated at 21 nominal but they don't seem to advertise that any more. It flows 9-11 gpm.
I think once someone gets an engine "clean" inside, meaning after break-in and an oil change, you could switch to the Wix racing filter but I would not break an engine in with one. No where near enough filtration but honestly, I think the XP @ 9-11 gpm flows more than enough oil for most engines.

#31 ·
I appreciate all the input fellas. I plan to use a full synthetic oil unless something comes up as a hell no reason. Not sure what brand yet I called Mobil1 just to get their opinion. Ya know the number to ask their "professional opinion" and did not come away impressed. It was like going into Autozone. If you don't have a VIN and or know if it has AC and manual or power this or that they don't seem to know much. He kept asking what weight was GM calling for on that engine. 😂 :LOL::cry:

This is what I was trying to get answers on. What version exactly was made for a street strip motor like mine? Should I use race oil or? I honestly don't put that many miles on it so I guess it would be fine with race oil.

I am leaning towards the Baldwin filter. I just don't hear anyone complaining about the Baldwins.:cool: I have a email out to Baldwin for what filter they recommend. Hopefully they wont want a VIN number. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
Pretty happy with Driven GP1 conventional and a K&P reusable filter myself. Checking the filter between changes can catch things before they become too damaging.

Reactions: shsahs
#15 ·
I can't believe anything thicker than a 10-40 is being mentioned, let alone a non-synthetic?!?

#16 ·
I use a System 1 filter and Lightning Racing Oil. Bearings look like new when I freshen up the engine. Mine Is race only so I use 20W oil. Good 30W would be good for your car. I would use a good racing oil and not regular oil for daily drivers. The EPA took all of the good additives away from the regular oil. I had good luck with Valvoline synthetic racing oil too.

#17 ·
After seeing some issue with Wix we have been moving customers to Baldwin's. Seems to be working well for us for the last couple of years. We usually run a axillary screen as a prefilter as well.

No one mentioned FRAM... LOL

#21 ·
This is a really good thread on oil:

Anyone had any luck or done any testing with any of the re-useable oil filters. K&P Engineering, K&N Billet, Canton, PurePower, etc.

Jason G.

#27 ·
We typically run Dominator 10-30 or 15-50 up to about 1500whp. The 15-50 is a little more forgiving with Methenol.

#32 ·
You want to use the Baldwin B279.

The Mobil 1 “racing” oil is very good. You probably won’t find it on the local auto parts shelf though.

You could always step up to Red Line oil. 10/40

#33 ·
From the "Anatomy of an Oil Filter.... Part 1" thread: 2012

received an email from Baldwin filters today:

18 micron rating, 390 sq. in of filter surface area and 15 gpm flow at only 5 psi = nice part.

I've requested this information from others in the industry and have not received anything from them. Others might have better luck than me, but every time I've ask Baldwin a question they have responded with in 24 hrs.

G

#34 ·
I buy Mobil 1 0-30 racing oil from Walmart.com. Ships to my door. I was fortunate enough about 4-5 yrs ago to get the contact number for a racing oil only division. I don’t remember how I got it. The guy spent as much time as I wanted on the phone and I came away sold on the oil. 0-30 and 0-50 specs are on the net.

#35 ·
Those are about the 2 best racing "shelf" oils available. We have extensively tested, and raced both in na form, high temp endurance racing.

Reactions: scott foxwell
#38 ·

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.