Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is down for the season and was playing with the idea of mounting turbo forward facing. the drain would be 3" of fall over 22" about 10 degrees. think this is enough with a -12 line. if i have to use a return pump ect ill just mount it the way it was. really dont want to get into all that.

the red cap on the side of the oil pan is where the drain enters

·
FFW crew
2,759 Posts
Looks like you could move the drain down a few more inches on that pan, if that's not enough pitch. I don't remember what the rule of thumb is for the drop per foot. It would look bad ass there fo sho!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Take into consideration the ride height/angle of the car when it is on the ground with all the weight on the suspension...it's easy to miss that. 3" of fall on a drag car with a good vac. pump would be cutting it close! If the car is driven much on the street, I would look for more drop.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points Reed. Does anyone make something to catch the oil to pump back. I know alot of people make there own. If using a pump what keeps it from pumping the catch can dry. Does it pump quicker then it fills up?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Just put a small electric pump on it, and be done with it... Im sure you have a old electric fuel pump laying around, or just by a new one for about $130... That's what I use, with no problems...

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Mine drains fine with just a -12 line to the passenger side of the pan towards the front. I have a 90 on the turbo, and a 45 on the pan. Never a single issue after 2 seasons of racing.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine drains fine with just a -12 line to the passenger side of the pan towards the front. I have a 90 on the turbo, and a 45 on the pan. Never a single issue after 2 seasons of racing.
how much drop do you think you have??? im also putting a motor plate in and might drop the motor around an inch so that will help.

looking at it now aint going to have room for my electric water pump. you guys that run a remote mount set up do you draw out of the block and back in to the intake/heads like a reverse cooling. my pump now goes thru block then heads and when im under boost it get real hot quick like leave at around 150ish 1/8th mile it at 180-190. tried a couple 1/4 runs and it was at 220-230. once i let off the gas it dont get hotter it just stays there. also a real small rad 18x15 double pass

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Holy crap thats alot of brass fittings. :p
Yeah, those things are dying to snap.

As for the drop with a -12 should be fine unless, as mentioned before, the rear end sits up real high when on the ground or the nose dives real low while on the brakes. Another trick is to step it up to a -14 half way back and stepping back down into the pan. This gives you more volume in the line and creates a chamber to get the oil back into a liquid state from the froth that comes out of the turbo.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
how much drop do you think you have??? im also putting a motor plate in and might drop the motor around an inch so that will help.

looking at it now aint going to have room for my electric water pump. you guys that run a remote mount set up do you draw out of the block and back in to the intake/heads like a reverse cooling. my pump now goes thru block then heads and when im under boost it get real hot quick like leave at around 150ish 1/8th mile it at 180-190. tried a couple 1/4 runs and it was at 220-230. once i let off the gas it dont get hotter it just stays there. also a real small rad 18x15 double pass
Why are you running a water pump and radaitor??? You should cool the motor with your intercooler water now... We run a valve on the return to keep heat in the motor. We have a problem keep heat in them, not running hot... You do not want your temp 220-230 on a turbo motor... Let me know if you have any questions.. I just got your pm.
Brendan

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why are you running a water pump and radaitor??? You should cool the motor with your intercooler water now... We run a valve on the return to keep heat in the motor. We have a problem keep heat in them, not running hot... You do not want your temp 220-230 on a turbo motor... Let me know if you have any questions.. I just got your pm.
Brendan
i dont have an intercooler lol thus the reason for a pump and rad :p

you know i really wasnt planing on doing any of this. was just going to put a glide in it and get back out but figured what the hell. now i have hacked the front bumper up and got the turbo higher and more forward. think ill be ok with the drain for now its about 6" drop now

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here is some updated. first picture has a yellow line behind the ford emblem that how far forward it is now for more room for the down pipe

center of turbo is just a little higher than the camshaft so its up pretty good now

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what do you guys think of this merge. its my first one ever dont think its bad. might just put the flange right on it which is why its ovalish

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Psssst the way youve got the merge built the turbo will be pointing sideways not forward. That is if the other ends of the pipe are pointed at the fenders to join up with your headers.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Psssst the way youve got the merge built the turbo will be pointing sideways not forward. That is if the other ends of the pipe are pointed at the fenders to join up with your headers.
son of a bitch. :rolleyes: i guess i worked on it to long last night. oh well. other than that what do you think???

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Lmfao, merge looks good if it was the right way! Clean it up a it and it'll look great!

·
Registered
461 Posts
son of a bitch. :rolleyes: i guess i worked on it to long last night. oh well. other than that what do you think???

its two cuts and a weld, cant judge fabrication ability off that. what are you welding with? looks like you could use a few pointers, get some clearer pictures.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looks like you could move the drain down a few more inches on that pan, if that's not enough pitch. I don't remember what the rule of thumb is for the drop per foot. It would look bad ass there fo sho!
the rule of thumb is dont put the return low enough to allow the oil in the sump to backup into the turbo like your plan suggests ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts