Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 Mustang w/ a 351w based motor, AFR 225's and Kooks 1 7/8 headers and a Canton T pan. One of the tubes passes directly over where the engine oil dipstck would go. I have tried different dipsticks and nothing works, the bends are too tight. I really don't need a dipstick do I ?? I know I won't know how much oil I really have, but as long as I know how much it takes and change it often I wont have a problem.
Thanks
Jim

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
I don't use one.
I will be removing mine and plugging the pan after it blowing out on the dyno.

I always wanted a sight tube, but was always afraid of something hitting and breaking it. It'd be a pretty crapy feeling to one day be saying "hey check out my cool oil sight tube" and the next weekend be scraping the remains of my crashed car off a wall because it broke. :smt076

If you change your oil often enough and know for sure what it take to fill it, you really shouldn't need one anyway.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be removing mine and plugging the pan after it blowing out on the dyno.

I always wanted a sight tube, but was always afraid of something hitting and breaking it. It'd be a pretty crapy feeling to one day be saying "hey check out my cool oil sight tube" and the next weekend be scraping the remains of my crashed car off a wall because it broke. :smt076

If you change your oil often enough and know for sure what it take to fill it, you really shouldn't need one anyway.
Thats what I was thinking.....thanks for your responses
Jim

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I weld 2 bungs on the side of the oil pan that are drilled and tapped with 1/8-27 npt. Than use 2 1/8npt x 90 degree elbow fitting and connected the with 1/4" poly tubing. Never had a problem with it and I have run, gas, methanol and nitro. Change the tubing once and a while and have the piece of mind knowing how much is in your pan. If I remember I will take a picture of it tonight and post tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I weld 2 bungs on the side of the oil pan that are drilled and tapped with 1/8-27 npt. Than use 2 1/8npt x 90 degree elbow fitting and connected the with 1/4" poly tubing. Never had a problem with it and I have run, gas, methanol and nitro. Change the tubing once and a while and have the piece of mind knowing how much is in your pan. If I remember I will take a picture of it tonight and post tomorrow.
That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll be doing that this winter.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
That is pretty nice. I don't think I would be able to see it under the engine diaper.
Right now I have the advantage of that pan being on a BBC in a dragster frame and the diaper is not on it. Once the diaper is on it covers it up but can be pulled away to check or when I am checking the insides of the oil filter.
The beauty of it is that it is simple.. we say K.I.S.S. = Keep it Simple Stupid

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts