Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run the high RPM Morel hydraulic lifters in a BBC. The have a maximum viscosity oil you can run in them- I think it is 5W40 (been a while since I changed the oil). I only run about a quarter turn preload on them. The make a little noise, but I have gotten used to it. They have about 4000 miles on them.

I mistakenly used a much thicker oil in this engine one time and had to replace every pushrod and rocker after about 50 miles- the lifter just doesn't pass enough oil if it is too thick.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Thick oil and cold operating temperatures are a reciepe for disaster. Keep all clearances reasonable and use light weight oil for high performance engine (i.e. 5W20 or 5W30), especially when utilizing hydraulic lifters. Remember, the oil must travel easily into the lifter body in order to support the plunger while the engine is running. Thick oil will not make that journey as efficiently as lower viscosity will.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
As others have said the Morel lifters used to be quiet with any decent oil now they are prone to noise issues.

There are plenty of hydraulic lifters that do just fine particularly in street engines running under 7000 rpm, no reason to purchase a lifter that is moody and oil sensitive.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
As others have said the Morel lifters used to be quiet with any decent oil now they are prone to noise issues.

There are plenty of hydraulic lifters that do just fine particularly in street engines running under 7000 rpm, no reason to purchase a lifter that is moody and oil sensitive.
Ive ran the Comp short travel lifters for years .

Rotella 15/40

HP , HV pump

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
For the Ford SBF I've had good luck with Ford's OEM style hydraulic roller lifters, the "H" model which is their high performance OEM lifter. Ran them up to 7200 rpm with everything from 5-50w to 10-40w and they don't care.

However, I do have a set of the Morels street in my other engine. They have been fine with up to 5-50w EXCEPT they simply do not pump enough oil up to the rockers so the springs don't get enough oil to cool them on long drives.

·
Registered
332 Posts
With hydraulic lifters, bleed down rates are greatly effected by both viscosity and aeration. The slower that bleed down rate, the more sensitive the lifter is to viscosity, and thus the lower the ideal viscosity will be. However, the slower bleed down rate also helps keep the lifter pumped up at high rpm.

Kinematic viscosity @ 100*C (210*F) in centistokes per SAE J300 requirements for oil grades...

xx-20 = 6.9-9.2 cSt
xx-30 = 9.3-12.4 cSt
xx-40 = 12.5-16.2 cSt
xx-50 = 16.3-21.8 cSt

The 15 cSt recommendation isn't a number simply pulled out of thin air. As viscosity increases, flow decreases. This is why oil pressure, the measure of resistance to flow, increases when the oil is cold (and therefore more viscous) or when switching to higher viscosity oil. Flow is far more important than pressure, btw.

Aeration is the other major concern as air is compressible and thus anything hydraulic hates it. Entrained air in the lifters is not a good thing. There's 2 main types of defoamers / anti-aeration additives; the ones that attach themselves to air bubbles to break them and those that attempt to prevent the air bubbles from forming to being with. In this case, you want the later. Methylcrylates are excellent foaming inhibitors that fall into the second category. Polymethylsiloxane is in the first category and is perhaps the oldest defoamer used in engine oils and still widely used. Some oils use a blend of both. Castrol and Valvoline have been known to use methycrylates in their oils for quite some time with Mobil 1 and Pennzoil / Quaker State following suit with API SN+. Driven's new GP-1 uses a form of methycrylates and has shown excellent foaming inhibition in lab tests. Amsoil also uses methycrylates.

The major thing here is absolutely DO NOT blend in aftermarket oil supplements. They either contain types of defoamers that conflict with the type use in engine oils, end up canceling them out, and cause foaming issues, or they don't contain any defoamers at all, diluting the concentration in the oil, and increasing foaming that way. So using something like Castrol 10w-30 with half a bottle of Lucas ZDDP-Plus will defeat the entire point (and you probably don't need the extra ZDDP anyway).

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Having to adjust a HYD lifter one full turn does not make any sense.

I figured that out when I switched over to my link bar lifters. I had always used 1/2 a turn past zero lash on all my old Ford Motorsport lifters and realized it took 1 full turn to quiet these down. Other than that, I never had any other problems.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I figured that out when I switched over to my link bar lifters. I had always used 1/2 a turn past zero lash on all my old Ford Motorsport lifters and realized it took 1 full turn to quiet these down. Other than that, I never had any other problems.

With a full turn down its not an anti pump up lifter. Years ago you never had to do this with the Morels something has changed for the BAD,

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,515 Posts

It can't be that the oil changed even though it's common knowledge that it has. It's gotta be the lifters. :smt102 how is that even logical?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The only function of oil, as far as hydraulic valve lifters are concerned, is to fill the reservoir below the plunger (which results on .000" valve lash), as the lifter goes through the base circle of the camshaft lobe. The clearance between the plunger and the lifter body must be close enough to insure that the plunger opens the valve without losing too much oil. If the clearance is too great then an excessive amount of oil is lost and the valvetrain makes noise. The only time that oil can be blamed for hydraulic lifter noise is when the oil is too thick (high viscosity) and cannot flow freely into the lifter body - especially when the engine temperature is below the normal operating temp.
10W30 is the highest viscosity oil that I use in ANY engine with hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The only function of oil, as far as hydraulic valve lifters are concerned, is to fill the reservoir below the plunger (which results on .000" valve lash), as the lifter goes through the base circle of the camshaft lobe. The clearance between the plunger and the lifter body must be close enough to insure that the plunger opens the valve without losing too much oil. If the clearance is too great then an excessive amount of oil is lost and the valvetrain makes noise. The only time that oil can be blamed for hydraulic lifter noise is when the oil is too thick (high viscosity) and cannot flow freely into the lifter body - especially when the engine temperature is below the normal operating temp.
10W30 is the highest viscosity oil that I use in ANY engine with hydraulic lifters.
Also if the oil becomes aerated as the air compresses, the plunger bottoms out, and the lifter makes noise.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
It can't be that the oil changed even though it's common knowledge that it has. It's gotta be the lifters. :smt102 how is that even logical?
Non racing oil has a lot less zinc than it used to....this can cause wear particularly on flat tappet cams but is not a cause of noisy hydraulic lifters on cams/lifters that are not wiped, plus many of those experiencing noise are using racing oil....Also other brands of lifters that were quiet years ago are still quiet now.

So yeah its a change in the lifters....this is very logical ;)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Non racing oil has a lot less zinc than it used to....this can cause wear particularly on flat tappet cams but is not a cause of noisy hydraulic lifters on cams/lifters that are not wiped, plus many of those experiencing noise are using racing oil....Also other brands of lifters that were quiet years ago are still quiet now.

So yeah its a change in the lifters....this is very logical ;)

I have been saying that for a long long time, It would be interesting to find out just how much work is being farmed out and not being done in house any more.

Something has surly changed over the years.........

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
If you are required to use some specific oil or weight for a particular lifter, find a new lifter supplier. It’s 100% asinine to me, that lifters dictate the viscosity of the oil that the engine needs to run.
Oil weight requirement of an engine is determined by clearances, running temps, fuel, boost, engine application etc.

If someone were to tell me to build the engine around the oil that needs to be run with their lifters I’d tell them to chuck those moth*erf*kers in the trash can. That’s the dumbest shit I ever heard.

Yeah, let’s run 10-40 in a blown offshore engine because the lifter needs it. SMFH..

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I agree with what these guts are saying too. It can NOT be just the oil centistoke or viscosity issue. It HAS to be a lifter issue. Why is it only a issue with the same oil in Morels and not others like Johnson for noise. Or when someone on here like Ron (MN Hemi) changes out just the lifters, and the noise goes away.

Also like Ron just said, choosing an engine oil solely on lifter requirements??? Really. We are trying the tight-lashed solid roller deals for a bit now to see how this work for us and our customers. For the $$$ one has to spend to get a GOOD hyd roller, why not just get a GOOD solid roller?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
If someone were to tell me to build the engine around the oil that needs to be run with their lifters I’d tell them to chuck those moth*erf*kers in the trash can.
LOL I did DO that with Morel Hyd roller. Gave the customer a set of GS for no cost IF he left them there. He looked at me like WHAT THE FUCK. I just said for us it's cheaper in the long run NOT to use those, and less hassles.

Guy picked them out of the trash and said he'll sell them. I said fine, pay me what you get for them and we'll be even.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts