Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the forums concerning centistoke values @100 and how they effect some of the "noisy" hydraulic lifters out there specifically but not limited to the morel lifters. I've seen where Castrol 10w/30 has been recommended due to it being I believe lower than [email protected] 100. I'm trying to understand why this number has importance. I use Amsoil in my vehicles and their signature series oil at 10w-30 grade is 10 @ 100. Can I assume with information I'm hoping to validate here that would be a good choice? Not looking to get murdered or start a huge debate I'm looking for a solid exanatiin I can learn from. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I use regular old Royal Purple 5w30 in my 5.3 and amazingly there is no lifter noise. But the lifters came in the engine when I bought the truck.

·
Busy being a cunt
28,680 Posts
I don't get out much, but I've only seen Straub, Man Friday and one other goon talking about "centistoke values". Where is all this talk taking place? If you were to say TC I would fully understand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have seen it discussed here on yellow bullet and other sites as well. Chevelles.com is another. Seems to come you alot in the forums where folks are complaining about noisy hydraulic roller lifters.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I am a W/D for Morel and as far as Morel HYD lifters go I stopped using them and have gone to Johnson lifters I have some happy customers. Having to adjust a HYD lifter one full turn does not make any sense.

The Morel lifters 12 years ago never had this problem. Something surly has changed. I bet they are farming some of the work being done on their lifters, Just a thought...............

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CNC....Sure sounds as if something has changed with the design. Where are you located? I've been looking for the Johnson BBC hydraulic roller lifters and haven't been able to.find them locally or thru the mail order parts warehouses.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
CNC....Sure sounds as if something has changed with the design. Where are you located? I've been looking for the Johnson BBC hydraulic roller lifters and haven't been able to.find them locally or thru the mail order parts warehouses.

Check with ISKY they have gotten away from Morel HYD lifters I wonder why LOL And have gone to Johnson lifters. A lot less issues with Johnson compared to Morel.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
I am a W/D for Morel and as far as Morel HYD lifters go I stopped using them and have gone to Johnson lifters I have some happy customers. Having to adjust a HYD lifter one full turn does not make any sense.

The Morel lifters 12 years ago never had this problem. Something surly has changed. I bet they are farming some of the work being done on their lifters, Just a thought...............
in your opinion, are the solid roller Morel ok ? I plan to send mine in this winter to get checked out, but I can get a new set of a different brand if need be. Sorry to be off topic.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
in your opinion, are the solid roller Morel ok ? I plan to send mine in this winter to get checked out, but I can get a new set of a different brand if need be. Sorry to be off topic.

Zero problems with the Morel solid roller lifters just make sure they are fitted.

What block and what size are you going to ???

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Have seen it discussed here on yellow bullet and other sites as well. Chevelles.com is another. Seems to come you alot in the forums where folks are complaining about noisy hydraulic roller lifters.

Just do a search on noisy Morel lifters... Those have cost me a lot of money..................

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i have the johnson/isky short travel bushed lifters in my bbc for 2.5 years now. over1500 miles on them and they arent noisey at all, ive used 10w40, 15w40 and 20w50 in the engine and the lifters didnt care one bit. i did all the research on centistroke numbers because i do think they play some role in this like straub says. hes a smart guy and im using his camshaft and have been very happy with it.

the morels seem to like a thinner oil, the johnson/isky dun give a fuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great response and info guys thanks. Yeah I've read alot of Chris's response in many forums. He is well respected as he should be. I don't question him saying the morel are good I'd just prefer something quieter and was trying to figure out the whole centistoke thing and how it may or may not play a part. With everything I've read I'm just not 100% on board with the thought because it seems the morel and the comps are the only ones that seem to have the noise issues unless I've been reading things wrong. I'm no expert that's for sure hence the reason I ask the questions.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
Zero problems with the Morel solid roller lifters just make sure they are fitted.

What block and what size are you going to ???
OEM BBC ,I think the lifter bore is .841. Been running them for 3 seasons . I was going to send them in this winter to get "checked out" /rebuilt if needed. Nothing fancy here just a slow bracket beater

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Great response and info guys thanks. Yeah I've read alot of Chris's response in many forums. He is well respected as he should be. I don't question him saying the morel are good I'd just prefer something quieter and was trying to figure out the whole centistoke thing and how it may or may not play a part. With everything I've read I'm just not 100% on board with the thought because it seems the morel and the comps are the only ones that seem to have the noise issues unless I've been reading things wrong. I'm no expert that's for sure hence the reason I ask the questions.

Those lifters 8 or 12 years ago never needed any special oil and were quiet. Again something has changed my guess they are farming out their ID grinding and assembly. Something to check into for sure.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Jones those are 2 sites that are frequently used by Struab and his man Friday Scott. That's the only reason why you hear it. Seems also it's only brought up with Morel lifters too. Usually by them.

I don't think I would want to tailor my motor around specific lifter oil. Just go with Johnson and e done with the oil issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes sir I plan to stir clear of the whole morel hydraulic roller lifter issue reguardless if it truly is an issue or not. Just not worth it to me. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
FYI I spent some time researching BBc hyd rollers as we have some customers wanting to go that way. But what I have found myself and for our needs, we are going with the Low Lash Solid roller instead. I'm actually trying it on my own car FIRST. I can not recommend to customer that they go this way until I know more about it. And what better way to find out then trying it in my own daily driver?

Here is a thread I started about this topic:

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2541421

Jones is doing my cam as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've always been a side roller guy or a solid flat tappett. I'm really new to the hydraulic roller world. Seems like there is alot of issues with lifters etc. The price is costly to do any roller and it's hard for me to justify anything hydraulic at that cost point...lol. Hey I'm old School that's always not a good thing I'm learning..lol. If I thought i could run solid roller on the street without so much parts stress and have decent life it would be solid roller for me without any debate what so ever. Let me know how it turns out...love the idea and principle. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts