Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I just took a bath on an oil change, what do you think by guessing at the picture. Does the filter look new out of the box, weather beaten label and water spotted filter. They show a Mobil 1 filter as being put on from the business on the receipt, its obviously an AC Delco.. I have always used the dealership in the past for this truck, it has 12,000 miles.

Heres the scoop, he said you can have a seat in the truck and wait, I no longer climb in and he has the filler wand up to the filler neck. He said start it up and 20 seconds later says shut it off. So I get out he starts in on buying a complete flush for the motor, he pulls the stick out and says, Ya see its very dark and has some bad sludge buildup. I always use Mobil 1 7500 oil, this is the 4th change in 12,000 miles.

I call Bull shit and he said well we will drain it again. Of coarse he goes back in the pit I cant see shit, he crawls back out and he sticks the wand back in, now its pumping oil not a sound it made the 1st time. Only a couple seconds later of pumping same routine, he says ya it looks a lot better. I am pretty pissed about now because I am no suit and tie never changed my own oil guy. I am pure fuckin hillbilly and have always changed my own oil, for 30 years, until I got this new truck, SUV, whatever you want to call it.

I am heading to the Dealership Monday for thier opinion, so what do you think , does the filter look old? Also note there is no fresh drained oil in the drain valley, I call B.S.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a quicky oil change place, I previously always took it to the dealer. Sorry my dumbass did not specify the quicky oil change place. I am still pissed and not thinking clearly.

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,759 Posts
That filter is new, I have seen plenty of AC Delco filters look like that out of the box. No oil residue around it, the filter is spotless.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tough call on the ride they took you for on the 2nd drain but you've got them redhanded on the oil filter. That ain't no Mobil One.

Those guys don't make shit on a standard oil change. It's all smoke and mirrors to get you in the door. After that it's $$ city. Wiper blades, cabin air filter, taillight bulb etc. I too do ALL of my own changes but an ex GF was a surprise shopper. So we got the oil changed on my 6 month old truck on the companies tab. The guys there made me feel pretty comfortable too, you know, nice truck man and would you like a coffee on the house etc. Then they tried to convince me my serpentine belt looked like it was past due for replacement. It was time to GTFO.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
This is why I change my own oil. Only takes 5 minutes, $15 and it i done right.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The other day I brought my wifes to have the oil changed and was hit with a 75.00 bill for just a oil change. I was charges 12.00 for disposal of the synthetic oil. While driving to a meeting I could only think how I just got fucked.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
hey chevys10, next time save the oil for me... i run it in my heater!! i wont charge you to get rid of it!!:cool:;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tough call on the ride they took you for on the 2nd drain but you've got them redhanded on the oil filter. That ain't no Mobil One.
Those guys don't make shit on a standard oil change. It's all smoke and mirrors to get you in the door. After that it's $$ city. Wiper blades, cabin air filter, taillight bulb etc. I too do ALL of my own changes but an ex GF was a surprise shopper. So we got the oil changed on my 6 month old truck on the companies tab. The guys there made me feel pretty comfortable too, you know, nice truck man and would you like a coffee on the house etc. Then they tried to convince me my serpentine belt looked like it was past due for replacement. It was time to GTFO.

Your post is dead on.

What I don’t understand is that the original poster was apprehensive about the quickie lube and their ethics or should I say lack of ethics right from the get-go but still went for the sham.

Must be the convenience thing I guess? Ouch!

Most fast lubes are not selling you what you think your getting as far as oil quality and that is leading to many early major engine failures. Many new engines are very very sensitive to having the correct spec and clean oil. The industry is starting to see more and more engine failures that are cause by wrong oil spec or dirty oil such as failed upper ends ( or more ) on 4.6 fords and many variable valve timing issues that are related to contamination the shit products that fast lubes sell you under false pretenses such as it being new oil. or Ford spec 5-20 or Mobil –one or a 0w-? spec …most cases what you see is not what you get and by the time you find out it’s too little too late and the damage is done and you wonder why your vehicle has only 50k mile on it and has failed.

Like you said theis no profit in an ol change and they are fucking you at ever turn the can so buyer beware. Pay the old boy down at the local garage to change your oil pay him the $30-40 and buy him a coffe and a donut it will pay huge dividends in the long run.

Ps. The filter does look new to me.

Question is…..is it a REAL Delco filter ?

Yea I know it says AC-Delco on it.

The Delco jobbers even thought the filters were Delco also…..but yep you guessed it ……china clones and they didn’t have a fuckin clue.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/counterfeit/index.jsp

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,112 Posts
THE ONLY QUICK LUBE PLACES THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN THAT WERE WORTH A SHIT....WERE OWNER OPERATED...AND THEY WERE FRIENDS OF MINE.....BUT I STILL CHANGED MY OWN OIL!:)

I GET A KICK OUT OF CHANGING IT.....JUST TO SEE HOW FAST I CAN DO IT...PLUS....THERE MAYBE SOMETHING UNDER YOUR CAR YOU NEED TO SEE......LIKE SOMETHING ELSE PHUCKED UP....LEAKS OR ANY KIND OF HAZARD.....NOW GO HELP OPEC AND CHANGE YOUR OWN PHUCKING OIL!:p

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
To the OP, you get what you pay for bud. In the future, dont go to the local jiffy lube or whatever to get your oil change. they usually use the cheapest shit possible. Also the guy making 6 bucks an hour could care less about your brand new truck.

take the truck back, make them install a mobil 1 filter (since thats what you paid for) and be on your way- lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I think I just took a bath on an oil change, what do you think by guessing at the picture. Does the filter look new out of the box, weather beaten label and water spotted filter. They show a Mobil 1 filter as being put on from the business on the receipt, its obviously an AC Delco.. I have always used the dealership in the past for this truck, it has 12,000 miles.

Heres the scoop, he said you can have a seat in the truck and wait, I no longer climb in and he has the filler wand up to the filler neck. He said start it up and 20 seconds later says shut it off. So I get out he starts in on buying a complete flush for the motor, he pulls the stick out and says, Ya see its very dark and has some bad sludge buildup. I always use Mobil 1 7500 oil, this is the 4th change in 12,000 miles.

I call Bull shit and he said well we will drain it again. Of coarse he goes back in the pit I cant see shit, he crawls back out and he sticks the wand back in, now its pumping oil not a sound it made the 1st time. Only a couple seconds later of pumping same routine, he says ya it looks a lot better. I am pretty pissed about now because I am no suit and tie never changed my own oil guy. I am pure fuckin hillbilly and have always changed my own oil, for 30 years, until I got this new truck, SUV, whatever you want to call it.

I am heading to the Dealership Monday for thier opinion, so what do you think , does the filter look old? Also note there is no fresh drained oil in the drain valley, I call B.S.

Mobil 1 there is your first waste of money

·
Registered
723 Posts
i drove my suburban from chitown to sc. i have always used mobil 1. i was doing a test to see if amsoil really did give you better gas milage. when i got to sc i pulled into an oil change place and asked if they would change my oil using my oil and filter. ofcourse they did it, when they were done i asked if he was gonna grease it for the 35bux he charged me, his reply was " these new cars use greaseless fittings. i said" well what the fuck have i been greasing all this time". then i rattled off were all the fittings were. he kinda shit his pants at this point! this is why i trust no one to work on my cars. ps i gained over 1 mile per gallon going back even though i drove faster going back then going there.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I get 15L every time I change my oil, you want me to send it to you? LOL.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I GET A KICK OUT OF CHANGING IT.....JUST TO SEE HOW FAST I CAN DO IT...PLUS....THERE MAYBE SOMETHING UNDER YOUR CAR YOU NEED TO SEE......LIKE A BROKEN TRANSMISSION CASE....LEAKS OR ANY KIND OF HAZARD LIKE A BROKEN TRANSMISSION CASE.....NOW GO HELP OPEC AND CHANGE YOUR OWN PHUCKING OIL!:p

Fixed that up for ya, buddy! :D

:smt077

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The local Chevy dealer has a special; oil change and tire rotation with the bs 35 point inspection for $42 out the door. I've had good luck with them so far. I'm guessing the service is only as good as the tech though. They rotated my tires reset the pressures and even brake cleaned the oil pan to be sure it was clean. Hell he even put my center caps on the bench instead of lying them on the ground and kicking them all over the shop. Will use that dealer again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts