Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't see anything. I have always changed mine every 20-25 passes but here I am at the end of the season and I am being cheap. I have about 28 passes on it now and wondering if I should push it another potential 14 passes...:confused:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
To me, it is all about the fuel mixture. I change mine at 25 runs and at times may go a bit past that. When I drop the CAM II out of it I smell the used oil and it has a bit of a fuel smell to it. When You dump that much fuel through a motor in a series of short runs then i think you definately get a fair amount of residual fuel in the pan. That is why I change mine that often.

·
T/S 368E
37,575 Posts

Since switching to synthetic, and a 12 qt tank, I go 25 pass'.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You're going to get responses all over the board. It also depends a lot on the motor, temp, blow by, and what type of fuel used.

Mine stays relatively clean and I can go for a lot of passes without changing.
X2 Depends on what type of race car we are talking, you can go a long time on a fairly mild race car, blown alcohol car for example gotta change it quite often.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I change mine every 25-30 passes on my street/strip car. I don't really pay attention to mileage because I make that many passes within 500 street miles. I run 20-50 Valvoline "not street legal" synthetic. Still looks pretty clean when I drain it. Even though it's about $9 per quart it's still cheap insurance IMO. I save some of it for the lawn mower and the golf cart.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Usually when I break something ;) Not sure if you saw that long oil rack in my trailer, but most of those bottles have been in there over a year! I usually change about every 40-50 passes, unless I break something (like a roller lifter) sooner. Due to lifter failures I did about 5 oil changes in a couple of weeks this season.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Every 20-25 passes. But I'm like the OP, I'm at the end of the season, with 22 passes since the last change, and one long weekend of racing to go (12-15 passes??) and I'm going to push it. Planning a major rebuild this winter, so seems silly to change now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.