Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 434 sbc short block from ohio crankshaft with their 4340 h beam rods with l19 rod bolts and 4340 crankshaft and a dart little m with billet splayed mains, now my question is how big of a physical size cam do you think i can fit in it before it hits something. As of right now i have a lunati 264 - 272 @ 50 and 654 624 with a 1.5 rocker on a 109 lobe sep, it fits with no issues at all. I am wondering if a cam with 280 @ 50 and 800 lift would clear. I heard one of the main problems with building a 434 with a standard cam location is you really cant fit a big enough cam in it. Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ok i have a 434 sbc short block from ohio crankshaft with their 4340 h beam rods with l19 rod bolts and 4340 crankshaft and a dart little m with billet splayed mains, now my question is how big of a physical size cam do you think i can fit in it before it hits something. As of right now i have a lunati 264 - 272 @ 50 and 654 624 with a 1.5 rocker on a 109 lobe sep, it fits with no issues at all. I am wondering if a cam with 280 @ 50 and 800 lift would clear. I heard one of the main problems with building a 434 with a standard cam location is you really cant fit a big enough cam in it. Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks
You should find out what lenth the rod bolts are if they are not 1.400 you maybe in trouble and hopefully the rods have not been all hacked to hell.

Thats the problem with buying a 434 with no cam as they have no obligation on what to use for rods and you may end up with an .800 base circle cam which extremely hard on lifters.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Well you should be able to get an idea with measuring your PTV with the cam your running now. Get this info to a cam builder and see what they say. Also check your cam to rod clearance and measure the base circles of the cam U have now and give them that info. Also you need to look at your radial clearance of the valve to piston.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i know i am running a .900 small base circle cam. but would have to check out the other stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts