Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was at the NHRDA Nat's at Ennis when I met JD from out of Bryan/College Station. We talked about the significant power upgrades the guys at Dr. Performance had recently made to the truck. New bullet, 71 mm turbo, fuel system upgrades and so on.....

That morning we had a good laugh about how much carnage he was gonna end up with at the end of the day. Well... here it is.

The 11,500# high perfrormance racing vehicle being loaded up at the track. :cool: He was in the left lane, it broke about a truck length out on the hit. ( notice the ladder bars, those bitches are big and heavy! )

And here is the reason why...

It's been a good unit for the client, Dave Goerend up in Iowa built it a few years ago and it's been living just fine up until they wicked it up. No doubt it would have kept going for a long time too.

We'll take it to a whole new level with a new intermediate shaft, billet output shaft, converter freshen up by Dave and his guys, a few mods in the fluid circuitry and a few other minor little tweaks it's gonna need to live at 1,100 h/p.

I'm not really into the diesel drag racing scene... but I am into the sick power to weight challenge these guys bring to the table! For us it's a new market. We're working very closely with the guys at Dr. Performance on this and many other builds these days.

Look for the truck in these pics to be down in Shreveport next weekend and out in Bowling Green next month. I might be heading out to Bowling Green myself....

g

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That truck won't make 1,100 hp on a 71mm without a LOT of nitrous. And the stacks are gay.
Hey, I'm only as good as the info I've been given. I didn't discuss the power adders because I'm not into the diesel scene too hardcore yet. Let me get my mind around what these guys are doing with these rigs and then I can have an informed discussion with ya. ;)

I do appreciate your opinion though. 1,100 may be an ambitious number. But, keep in mind it's a new combination that was not ran at or near it's full potential when it broke the tranny. I know it made 700 conservatively without all the bells and whistles turned up or turned on. I doubt he's going to run it at that big power level all the time anyhow.

As far as the pipes... ehhh... to each his own. I'm not one to dog a guy when it comes to that sort of thing.

g

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Most of the diesel sanctions require those kind of pipes as not to fog the track or other lane with black smoke. Safety issue so they say.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That stands to reason Darrell. I haven't read the NHRDA class rules yet, but it's on my list of things to do soon. As anyone who has seen one of these on a hard hit with the fuel turned up they do put out the smoke. I can see how it would impede another competitors vision.

We've been working with a few guys around the country to try and see who's getting the job done over the last few months and have collaborated with other shops in the past on R&D programs. This is gonna be fun if you ask me.

At the very least I like the way these guys think.... check out this pic from pitside somewhere down by the cones about mid afternoon. I was down there sucking down a few coldies with one of Michelle Wilson's crew (Scott) who was out there with his own truck when this chick sat down and started swapping the tires on her boyfriends truck!!! ATTA GIRL !!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts