Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some vehicle come with an offset to the passenger side from the factory, im building a car for a rather large driver i was thinking of offsetting the motor/trans about 1in have you other chassis guys done this? Did it work well? easier to scale?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Never done it myself, but there is someone (ron davis maybe?) that buillds roadsters with the drivetrain offset. Supposed to be working well. None of the big name builders of tube cars do it that i have ever seen .

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
1" would move approx. 1.5% of the engine weight. So if the engine weighed 1000# you would move approx. 15# to the pass. side. That's assuming a track width of about 68".

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
1" would move approx. 1.5% of the engine weight. So if the engine weighed 1000# you would move approx. 15# to the pass. side. That's assuming a track width of about 68".
I knew I should have paid attention in math. LOL Does that mean the pass side gets 15lbs heavier and the dr gets 15 lbs lighter for a total of 30lbs difference?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Paul,
Since the center of mass in the engine is somewhere slightly behind the front tires then you would move a slight amount over to the pass. rear also. Might see something like 15# RF and 2# on the RR. Which would mean the LF would be 15# lighter and LR would be 2# lighter. Just guessing on the numbers but you get the idea.

Craig

·
Confused Racer
41,920 Posts
My dart is 2" to the pass side. scales fine. If he is that big then the offset will end up cancelling itself out.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I offset mine an inch, have never scaled the car but in the planning stage I took the 270 lb driver into consideration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys may be missing something. On a "factory" funny car, the engine is moved to the left, not the right, and to top it all off, we only ran weight in the left side of a divided front weight bar. So would it be worth considering that the applied torque should be counterbalanced the same in a door car. I'd consider scaling the car before making that move.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
You guys may be missing something. On a "factory" funny car, the engine is moved to the left, not the right, and to top it all off, we only ran weight in the left side of a divided front weight bar. So would it be worth considering that the applied torque should be counterbalanced the same in a door car. I'd consider scaling the car before making that move.

Driver sits in the center of a funny car. Everything is basically symetrical so I could see an advantage to that on a FC. My car scales heavier on the LF and LR even with the engine offset 5/8" to the pass. side.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If offsetting the engine is in the customers budget I always off set them toward the driver side.
[requires trans tunnel work, gas pedal repositioning, custom plates, headers etc...}. ex., a foxrod has a factory engine offset of .625" from center toward the pass side, I move it to .250 toward the driver from center, a change of .875 inch.. The more powerful the car the more beneficial the improvement in static weight is.. notice static weight,, dynamic weight movement is another can of worms...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Centered drive line if in customers budget, with some other work the cars can scall good. Also with bigger engines it gives some room on the pass side frame rail. But like Mike said you have to do some work on the trans tunnel on most cars and also take into if they are have a rearend done at the same time for drive-line line up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts