Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Born and raised in Las Vegas Nevada. And growing up at the speedrome nearly every weekend with my dad racing super pro. From 1983 until it closed. And then we never went back once it was rebuilt...during that time I was 16 and I found off-road racing. And then I became addicted to that sport for the last 20 years..Long story short. Those memories from my childhood drag racing experiences have been burning into my soul ever since. And now I’m in a place in my life I’m ready to build the car. My favorite thing to build is chassis fabrication. My shop in Las Vegas specializes in complete builds. That are meant to go through the roughest terrain out there. Hundreds of miles at high rates of speed.I’ve finished races like the mint 400. And Vegas to Reno. I’ve spent time with some old time legends and am always eager to learn what I can from them. Along with any input I can help with...I’ve followed pro modified racing since It was beginning in 1988. With shoebox dreams on repeat until it wore out. My ultimate goal with the new build will be the 200 mph mark in the 1/4. I don’t want to get involved in to many questions here as my questions now involve tubing wall and diameter rules. Along with engine placement rules... I built a trailer already that has drive over fenders for the trucks. And dove tailed for the car...I just want to say I’ve been a lurker here for over a decade and now I’m officially a member and can’t wait to learn and research from some of the best... I’ll leave some pics for an idea of what I do. Thank you.
kyle. 1AC05E38-05BB-4DE4-B078-A555D034E101.jpeg F500D505-F8B0-4284-8758-10DEA63FE388.jpeg 0192D92C-FDC0-497D-9A87-ED7E8C056CA6.jpeg 6337B8EE-8C0A-40FC-89E6-0D911BD57385.jpeg 9B46405B-CC64-4822-B0C2-D3FBE8665A60.jpeg 98322879-9A5A-473E-A828-A5BA01E11952.jpeg 6A887D9E-37BA-4985-B265-8742842910E0.jpeg 941EC563-AEC3-465D-8552-E63663FC17AE.jpeg

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
First and foremost I'd say get your hands on an NHRA rule book. That will answer all of your tubing size and placement questions as well as required safety items for a given class or speed. Then pick a class and a car and get to turning wrenches. Welcome brother, you build some nice rigs

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Your going to need to look into the SFI specs for anything faster than 8.50. Basically a set of chassis guidelines based on weight and ET,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much! I was researching as I’m about to order tube and my research lead me here. To the sfi page. It states I can purchase a set of guidelines? My plans are to build a ford ranger. Roy Hills pro stock truck is something I’ve always loved from when I was a kid. 3C80D5ED-AA17-457C-9C72-E9CF6FC9C7AB.jpeg

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Some of the specs are based on stock steel bodies and allow the use of an OEM frame, such as 25.3 and 25.5 are based on heavier 3600 lb cars. Lighter fully tube chassis cars are usually built to 25.1 for cars lighter than 2800 lbs. 25.2 spec is for 3200 lb or less cars. The SFI books outline all of the tubing sizes and wall thickness.
Just for reference, 25.5 and 25.4 allow the use of mild steel and will allow ET's down to 7.50, all of the other certs require all the tubing to be tig welded chrome moly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the specs are based on stock steel bodies and allow the use of an OEM frame, such as 25.3 and 25.5 are based on heavier 3600 lb cars. Lighter fully tube chassis cars are usually built to 25.1 for cars lighter than 2800 lbs. 25.2 spec is for 3200 lb or less cars. The SFI books outline all of the tubing sizes and wall thickness.
Just for reference, 25.5 and 25.4 allow the use of mild steel and will allow ET's down to 7.50, all of the other certs require all the tubing to be tig welded chrome moly.
Thank you very much for you information! Tig welded chromoly is exactly the plan.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Although you are a talented fabricator, why don't you just start slow and work your way up.
Start with a street car and make a bunch of passes down the track.
Then get a 10 second car, maybe buy one built, and get some seat time in that.
While you are racing, you can be learning and racing. Meeting people and having fun. Las Vegas is a good track so you are lucky to be near it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although you are a talented fabricator, why don't you just start slow and work your way up.
Start with a street car and make a bunch of passes down the track.
Then get a 10 second car, maybe buy one built, and get some seat time in that.
While you are racing, you can be learning and racing. Meeting people and having fun. Las Vegas is a good track so you are lucky to be near it.
With all due respect that sounds just as crazy to me as what I’m saying I’m going to do...A ten second car is bought at a dealer now. I’ve driven them. Kind of boring to me. I left lots of my life out as I’m sure you guys wouldn’t care. But I’ve built and driven lots of cars. Just not what I wanna build now. Strictly one goal.. The ultimate goal will be 200. If it ran 140 at first. I’d be happy! One day I hope you guys can experience what it’s like to run 100 mph through 3 foot holes. You’d probably think a ten second car is boring as well. Definitely great advise. I’m just a all in guy.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Say brother have you thought about buying a chassis already built and certified in this down swing of our economy I am sure you would be able to run across some good deals. Then put your touches on it. The time and coin to start from scratch will be far more than buying one nearly ready. With that being said glad to hear you are wanting to drag race I am sure you will do well.

Steve

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
Agreed ^^^^^^^^ there will be some fire sales coming up I would imagine. But, as a fab guy as well, I understand that for us, the build can be half (or more) of the fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed ^^^^^^^^ there will be some fire sales coming up I would imagine. But, as a fab guy as well, I understand that for us, the build can be half (or more) of the fun.
Totally have looked at chassis kits. And roller options. And your points are definitely very valid..I guess I’m just very much looking forward to the build itself right now. Something for me for once. (Been building customers for my whole career ) If I screw up it’ll go back to the jig. Take what I learned and start new research. Bring in more help if needed. And try again. (I’m actually looking forward to learning more than anything) So for now. I feel very happy with just building it.
One things gonna be for sure. This one has some ideas I’m going to carry over that I promise will be different.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Mad Miller, if you were/are into the excitement of offroad competition, then I would recommend you attempt to go 200 on a smaller tire.....you might find attempting the same performance on big slicks not quite as frightening after the initial adrenalin rushes wear off....

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
You being from Vegas and into the Off Road stuff , do you happen to know my friend Kevin Bunderson ???

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Kevin Bunderson is a legend around the off road world. My shock/suspension builder also helps him. Off road racing is a pretty small community.
I have been to Baja several times with Kevin and , he taught this east coast guy about Dumont and I fell in Love with the sand !

Kevin is just an all around Great guy , the real deal No B/S and he can do about anything he puts his mind to.

I have ridden a lot with his old right hand man Eric , and he actually did the cage in my wife’s street car.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
As for your personal project, I would get plans from either Bickel or McCamis and always spec it for faster than you plan on going .

And really really be weight conscious everything adds up , be safe and smart about the build it will save money in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for your personal project, I would get plans from either Bickel or McCamis and always spec it for faster than you plan on going .

And really really be weight conscious everything adds up , be safe and smart about the build it will save money in the end.
I didn’t know you could buy plans... See i definitely came to the right place! I know its going to be different in many many ways...Great idea to get plans...Here’s the best picture of the latest build I completed. Even in off road I look at every thing as weight as well. This chassis I hand built on a table. And to build it turn key. It took me one year. The suspension alone is likely to be a complete car chassis worth of work. So I’m very much looking forward to starting something so simple. Yet complicated in other ways. B03C85C1-192E-44CF-B4EA-7ED932F61EE4.jpeg B03C85C1-192E-44CF-B4EA-7ED932F61EE4.jpeg

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I didn’t know you could buy plans... See i definitely came to the right place! I know its going to be different in many many ways...Great idea to get plans...Here’s the best picture of the latest build I completed. Even in off road I look at every thing as weight as well. This chassis I hand built on a table. And to build it turn key. It took me one year. The suspension alone is likely to be a complete car chassis worth of work. So I’m very much looking forward to starting something so simple. Yet complicated in other ways. View attachment 78897 View attachment 78897

1 - 20 of 33 Posts