Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Im a Pro at being Amateur
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally started trying to use my 580ex at the end of last year and learn more about it. While i did learn a little, i ate up a ton of batteries doing it. I now have 8 rechargeable batteries, which is generally fine for going to a car show, a family gathering, or small photo shoot. But doing something like shooting a race kills them fast and i dont have enough time to swap batteries, charge them, and swap again a little later. So im looking for a battery pack that is going to give me the power i need but not be a huge monster sitting up on the wall. Anyone have some good suggestions on a line of battery packs, or a company to look more into?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Do you want to use the power port on the side (I can't remember off the top of my head what it's called exactly, high voltage or whatever) or something to replace the AA's?

I went the DIY route, I made my own battery packs, pretty much the same as Al Jacobs black box. I think 4 of them cost about 150 total, then I got the quantum battery cables off ebay for about 20 a piece. Held up good for 2.5 yrs so far. I can give you a parts list if you are interested ..

Battery packs for hotshoe flashes are kind of annoying though if you move around, just one other thing hanging from your shoulder. I have a ton of nimh AA's for the hotshoe flash, I don't find myself changing them more than once on a busy day

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think im looking for something to replace the AA's. i dont want a box hanging off my shoulder, ive seen it and doesnt look very comfortable. looking for something i can plug in to charge, plug that into the flash, and use it how i am doing now. which is just the trigger up top, receiver on the flash but have a small box next to the flash that is my power source.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ok, I've never heard of anything like you want, but haven't looked into that style of battery pack .. I would just get a bunch of rechargeable AA's if I were you, eneloops are good stuff. I have at least 3 sets of 4 AA's on me, never had a problem changing them quickly or during downtime go put one of the sets on a charger.

·
Team North Bitches!!!!
3,966 Posts
Ok, I've never heard of anything like you want, but haven't looked into that style of battery pack .. I would just get a bunch of rechargeable AA's if I were you, eneloops are good stuff. I have at least 3 sets of 4 AA's on me, never had a problem changing them quickly or during downtime go put one of the sets on a charger.

X2 on the Sanyo Enloops...I can go all day on a set if the power is turned down a bit

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
732 Posts
I use the Nikon version of this battery pak. The newer Nikon unit holds 8 AAs and will fit in a shirt or vest pocket but also has a belt loop.

I cannot charge the battteries while in the pak and don't know about the Canon. I use Energizer NiMH AA batteries and have some that are over three years old. I am replacing them this year with the newest Energizer - there is one type that says it has 4(?) times longer life.

There also several different types of Energizer chargers. They state different charging times between 1-6 hours. From the research I have done, purchase the charger with the LONGEST charging time. Yes, it will take longer to get everything charged up but the data says the slower charge will be deeper and also extend battery life.

I carry two of the slower chargers (about the size of a cigarette pack) which charge 4 at a time. If you have enough batteries, you should get through a full day's shooting easily. If I have used a lot of fill flash during the daylight hours, I will change out the four AAs in the flash head but not those in the battery pak.

·
Prick Pro PhotoG
1,494 Posts
Just buy the big bulk packs of Rayovac batteries, Thats what I did all last year, they are cheap for the big 50 pack, and they last just as long as the name brands.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
i think i found what im looking for....sort of. its a box that plugs into where the batteries go, but the box itself houses 8 AA's makign cycling and over all usage time better. the onlyt thing is like to do is get a box that i dont need to put batteries in that i can charge. or maybe one that takes camera type batteries in a sled that i can recharge while in the box.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/498738-REG/Canon_1947B001_CP_E4_Compact_Battery_Pack.html
That is good stuff, but not going to be able to attach that to the camera like you want

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i see the plug is not int eh shape of the 4 batteries, but i have found other ones that do have that. but dont know how well it will stay in the body of the flash without the door closed. Im going to do soem more digging and post this up on some photo sites and see what i come up with.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
i see the plug is not int eh shape of the 4 batteries, but i have found other ones that do have that. but dont know how well it will stay in the body of the flash without the door closed. Im going to do soem more digging and post this up on some photo sites and see what i come up with.

That's because what you linked goes into the high voltage port on the side of the flash, or whatever it is called.

The plug in the shape of the batteries.. those are quantum cables, I use those on my 285hv's and have ones for the Canon flashes too.. but if you want that, you're back to square one - heavy battery packs you have to wear.

Really, for hotshoe flash and most portability, get good AAs.

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im currently using energizers because i bought a pack that came with a wall charger. I may just pick up a few more rechargeables and just make sure i have some ready to go at all times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts