Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background. I have a pickup with a 6x114.3mm lug spacing. I would like to switch to a more common front pattern like 5x4.5".
Now with that being said.
I was going to use mustang or crownvic parts to make the swap.
I currently have A arm suspension. Would it be a upgrade to switch to a mustang strut suspension instead? Im not worried about the fabrication of the lower arms or mounts or anything. If so what year mustang would be best for parts.
Also, if I make the switch. Would this kick me out of some street classes that call for oem front suspension?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The problem with swapping over to the factory Fox/SN95 struts/spindles is they lean-in a bunch at the top (something like 14-15 degrees). And they have a fairly tall strut body length. Most shorter aftermarket "true" drag struts only lean-in about 10 degrees.

Both of these factors mean it can sometimes be hard to find enough room to mount the factory Mustang struts in a narrow car/truck body and still have decent engine/header room. And it can also be harder to use/mount them if you're wanting to build a car/truck that sits fairly low becase of their long strut body length.

·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with swapping over to the factory Fox/SN95 struts/spindles is they lean-in a bunch at the top (something like 14-15 degrees). And they have a fairly tall strut body length. Most shorter aftermarket "true" drag struts only lean-in about 10 degrees.

Both of these factors mean it can sometimes be hard to find enough room to mount the factory Mustang struts in a narrow car/truck body and still have decent engine/header room. And it can also be harder to use/mount them if you're wanting to build a car/truck that sits fairly low becase of their long strut body length.
Hrm. Very interesting. I have not thought of that. Ill fabricate the upper and lower mount, but theres only so much that can be done with the 15 degrees lean in. Thank you for your input.
Ill have to find the length of the struts and see where the top would end up with that 15 degrees.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just threw a tape measure on my 88bnotch struts the best I could I came up with 24-26" from the very bottom to the top of the strut stud nut on the caster camber plate. Strange single adjustables. Hope that helps

·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just threw a tape measure on my 88bnotch struts the best I could I came up with 24-26" from the very bottom to the top of the strut stud nut on the caster camber plate. Strange single adjustables. Hope that helps
Big time. Thanks so much!
Now I have an idea of the space itll need. ~25" at ~15 degrees.
Any idea of the lower strut mount in relationship to the wheel center?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll snap a few pictures later and try taking a few measurements and get back on here. Either later tonight or tomorrow morning. I also have a set of stock spindles I can snap pics of if that helps.

·
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didnt get the chance to take better pictures today. These were older ones on my phone.
Great. Thanks for the help. Looks like the lower mount is a little higher than spindle center. I did some quick measurements and the top mount would be way up near the hood. It may be best for me to stick to A arms . Or go aftermarket struts. or maybe a 2" mustang dfrop spindle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts