Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got to post before I forget...

My dad was asking about drag racing and staging, asked if there is a rubber hose like the old gas station bell ringers for the pre-stage and stage lights

This one happened to a friend. He bought a top sportsman roller and because the back tires were so big, someone said to him "I think you got ripped off, the tires aren't even the right size, probably put them on just to get rid of it"

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Depends how old your dad is but if he was at the drags in Tracy CA in 1950 (New Jerusalem airport) they did use gas station rubber hoses for the timing equipment.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The goofiest thing for me was why do you drag race.I tell them I love it and they say what a waste of money.This was by a person with a 100k motorhome that only get's used once a yr for 2 week's.To each his own.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends how old your dad is but if he was at the drags in Tracy CA in 1950 (New Jerusalem airport) they did use gas station rubber hoses for the timing equipment.
Interesting, good to know. I've been running since the 80's so its always been the beams. He would not have known that though, he never really had a interest in racing (thinks I'm nuts for liking it lol)

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
Had a kid approach us at test n tune one night after my cousin had made a 10.40 pass (1/4 mile) and he proceeds to tell us about his turbo fwd Daytona that also runs 10's. I told him I've never seen it, when does he run it. He says on Saturdays. Saturday is bracket racing at our track (1/8 mile only). He didn't really though his car was just as quick. I don't guess he noticed the mph difference. lol.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a kid approach us at test n tune one night after my cousin had made a 10.40 pass (1/4 mile) and he proceeds to tell us about his turbo fwd Daytona that also runs 10's. I told him I've never seen it, when does he run it. He says on Saturdays. Saturday is bracket racing at our track (1/8 mile only). He didn't really though his car was just as quick. I don't guess he noticed the mph difference. lol.
Reminds me of the guy I have help me sometimes... he is "positive" is stock Dakota will run 11's or 12's lol.

Also when I was fighting spooling issues, he assured me if I just sat at idle and just stomp it at the green light, I will get the most launch boost.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
I was @ the World Finals in Pomona a few yeas back & i overheard a woman say "That's it, I thought they go in circles"
I brought a buddy and his girl to Englishtown in the 90's. She was all disaponited and I asked why. She said she thought there would be Monster Trucks.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Some of the funniest things have come the last couple weeks with the guys preparing to go to Qatar...."how on earth do they race in the desert?"

I always like the "what if it doesn't stop at the end"

·
Registered
700 Posts
i guy that used to work with me had an 80 malibu with a 355 that was VERY mild (maybe 300 HP). he had a cage put in, aluminum dash, single racing bucket....but the only racing that happened was done by his mouth! talked about how his buddy timed it on the street and it runs 10's and pulls the wheels off the ground. i had to talk him out of putting wheelie bars on the car!! he always talked how his car would smoke mine, but would never bring it to the track. he finally had to sell the car....and the next owner DID race it. it ran 14's!! i still haven't seen the guy, but when i do, i'll be sure to bring that up!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
There was a guy that rented space from my dad to park his equipment, he asked me how much I had in my car and trailer and so on. When I told him how much, he said I was crazy and it was a waste of money. I told him that my wife and son enjoyed going with me and it was a family deal. I later found out his wife was into horse shows that he hated and they owned several horses, a toterhome and huge trailer to haul them in. I asked him how much he had tied up in all her stuff (horses, toter, trailer, barn, property,feed and so on), he just looked at me with a look like what business was it of mine. I reminded him of our previous conversation and he said "oh shit", before he answered (if he was ever going to) I told him I knew it was far more than the 150K I had tied up and when I got tired of racing and wanted a break, all I had to do was about a 1/2 hour's work and it would wait until I was ready to go again. I told him that he had to deal with those horses everyday, whether he wanted a break or not. He got the point and never gave me shit about racing again.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
Fast and the curious can be thanked for that
I have had kids at the car shows ask if my 14/71 blown small block has NAWS. When I tell them no I have had answers like "Why not?" or "It must be slow then."

I had a full grown man ask me what the car runs. When I told him 6's he said "That only twice as fast as a stock Corvette".

How can you argue with that logic? :confused:

·
Registered
872 Posts
i guy that used to work with me had an 80 malibu with a 355 that was VERY mild (maybe 300 HP). he had a cage put in, aluminum dash, single racing bucket....but the only racing that happened was done by his mouth! talked about how his buddy timed it on the street and it runs 10's and pulls the wheels off the ground. i had to talk him out of putting wheelie bars on the car!! he always talked how his car would smoke mine, but would never bring it to the track. he finally had to sell the car....and the next owner DID race it. it ran 14's!! i still haven't seen the guy, but when i do, i'll be sure to bring that up!!

You do realize that he is just going to say that the reason it is slower now is because the new owner doesn't know how to drive.
You can't teach retards anything.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts