Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys I'm thinking about switching from nitrous to a turbo. I have seveal question to see if this deal is worth messing with. I want to run a single turbo GT 45 OR 47 on a methonal setup. I am looking for a solid 1000 hp. It makes 800 hp now with nitrous. Here are a list of parts that are in the motor.

301 cid
alum GRP rods
JE Pistons 11:5 comp. I could machine a dish in the piston if needed.
comp cams 769,763 lob sep 112 (nitrous grind)
custom head fows 320 I, 260E @.700 lift
Intake manifold has two efi bungs per cyl.
FAST EFI (classic version)
MSD Digital 7

My main concern is the compression, camshaft, will the FAST unit will work with a methonal setup? What do you guys think?

Steven

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions, but I have got to say that is one cool truck you've got there!

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Very cool,who made the intake?

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Maybe you have a tad too much compression,With that much,less room for error on the tune.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Steven,

That's a very cool truck! The compression should be fine since it is running on straight methonal. I would want the cam to have more separation (around 115* area) and it could probably be smaller. Which version of the classic FAST do you have? Bank to Bank or Sequential? I wouldn't even try it with bank to bank, sequential could probably be modified to work although the newer systems in a staged configurations would still work much better.

- Brian

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
The classic SEFI FAST can work. You want to talk to Travis Quillen about modifying the harness though. I believe he goes by Turbo Promod on this site.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sweet. It didn't dawn on me until I saw the picture of the engine in the truck that you were running a straight 6. I didn't count the runners on the intake pic, just wondered where the other half was. :lol:

I guess I see too many V8s on this board, and I own a straight 6, in my Datsun. :lol:

Cool looking build.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys my brother and I are machinist/welders so that help in the fabrication dept.

Yes, we are running bank to bank on the FAST system.

I may call comp cams tommorrow to see if this cam can be reground smaller with a wider lobe separation.

Steven

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would upgrade to a newer ECU in that case, you'll be much better off in the long run. The bank to bank wouldn't run a single set of 160's very effiiciently from what I've seen, let alone a twin injector set-up.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Get a divided flange turbo, rebuild the header and divide the pulses across the split. L6 are great for turbos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts