Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here and looking at options for an OD trans that will take a 1300HP BBC turbo motor in my '65 Chevelle. The reason I want an OD trans is because I do alot of long highway cruises to the track (just over 100 miles away from my house). So, the question is, does anyone know of a builder that offers an OD lockup trans that can take that much power? I really dont want to run a TH-anything or a Glide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -Will

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
rossler does a 4l80e . it,s similar to a th-400 internally but has o.d. plus lock-up .it's electronicly shifted so a computer is neccesary. and even has a transbrake available. pretty beefy trans when done right.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that the 4L80E would be the only one that would come close, I just never seen anyone advertise one that would hold that much power. The only problem with the gear vendors unit is that as far as I know, they are rated to 1200hp max. Maybe Im wrong.
Could someone build the 4L80E to hold that much? I know that 4th gen F-body guys use them with great success all the way to the mid 9's. They are alot lighter than me though, and I dont know if they are making that much power.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Are you willing to run a full manual valvebody ?

I have been working with the 4r70w transmissions. I would love to put one in a brutal application like this. If you interested let me know. Would be a good abuse cycle to put one through.

Hey guys, new here and looking at options for an OD trans that will take a 1300HP BBC turbo motor in my '65 Chevelle. The reason I want an OD trans is because I do alot of long highway cruises to the track (just over 100 miles away from my house). So, the question is, does anyone know of a builder that offers an OD lockup trans that can take that much power? I really dont want to run a TH-anything or a Glide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -Will

·
Registered
125 Posts
I figured that the 4L80E would be the only one that would come close, I just never seen anyone advertise one that would hold that much power. The only problem with the gear vendors unit is that as far as I know, they are rated to 1200hp max. Maybe Im wrong.
Could someone build the 4L80E to hold that much? I know that 4th gen F-body guys use them with great success all the way to the mid 9's. They are alot lighter than me though, and I dont know if they are making that much power.
I can build a 4L80E to around 1200HP.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would rather not run a full maual VB, and it really has to be capable of taking a full on 1300hp assault. I may not be able to do this a an overdrive....

·
Registered
595 Posts
This is what i was looking at...
DRAG RACING 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC​
Splitting the ratios (especially 2nd-over) is always valuable to the 3-speed car. 1st-over can be very valuable for hooking up with our AutoLaunch circuit on cars up to about 800hp but is a big torque multiplier and so cars with higher hp may break traction depending on their chassis setup. 2nd-over keeps the converter tight and produces torque multiplication right when the aerodynamics are starting to load the car heavily. We've never heard of a car that didn't run quicker going 1st, 2nd, 2nd-over then 3rd. A 1.28 deeper rear gear (the reciprocal of our ratio) can be used and the run 3rd-over for 5 to 6-speeds. With a 1.28 lower differential these cars can then also keep stock 1-2 ratio (instead of aftermarket deep gear) in the trans for less r.p.m. drop on shift.
Consistency and E.T. are improved by operating the engine and converter in a tighter rpm range as well as having more torque multipliers through the run. The GEAR VENDORS is one of the few products that can improve both. Study the Final Drive Ratio charts in the 2-wheel drive section appropriate for your tranny make and also read the powerglide section.
Horsepower = Torque X RPM/5252 The Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive is one of the few products you can use to boost both sides of this equation. Keeping both the torque multiplication higher (gears are multipliers of torque) and the rpm tighter with the close ratios provide by gear-splitting. Your torque converter is also a torque multiplier. One of the benefits of gear-splitting is that all converters work better with the shortest steps in gearing. With the close ratios provide by the Gear Vendors there is also less need for high stall so you can concentrate on the 60ft and the overdrive will handle all the big end of the track.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Is a transbrake a nessecity ? I am sure i could build a 4r70w to take the power. I have some new parts that are ready for testing. We have 2 mules that have seen 1000 hp/800tq so I know with mild improvement we have planned it should be easy as pie.

Nice part is that it is roughly the same wieght as a 4l60e can be run with 4l80e electronics and If you have a shaft for a 4l60e with a yoke change it will be right there.

the only downside to the transmission is that you will nto be able to go full power in overdrive or with the converter locked up. That is to much power for every lock up converter out there and the overdrive on the 4l80e would definately be taxed beyond what I have seen it support in the real world.

Would rather not run a full maual VB, and it really has to be capable of taking a full on 1300hp assault. I may not be able to do this a an overdrive....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the transbrake isnt necessary, but it would be nice to have. I might have to back the power down a little and try to stay in the 1k range. That should still be plenty to get the car into the mid 9's and still be livable to drive around here to cruise ins and to the track if I wanted. A 4L80 could handle 1K HP at the tires right?

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
by the time you build a 4l80 for 1000hp you could have 2 of our 4r70w's. I think I can get an automatic shifting valvebody with a T-brake. If you want send me a PM with your contact information and I will give you an estimate. Do you need a transcontoller or are you running and engine management with trans control built in.

1000hp should get you enough umph to run high 8's as long as the car isn't a complete sled.

Let me know if your interested.

Sean

the transbrake isnt necessary, but it would be nice to have. I might have to back the power down a little and try to stay in the 1k range. That should still be plenty to get the car into the mid 9's and still be livable to drive around here to cruise ins and to the track if I wanted. A 4L80 could handle 1K HP at the tires right?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured the weight to be somewhere around 3700-3800lbs with me in it. Im really only looking to go mid 9's or there about. Its not a dedicated race car more, of a street/strip (80% street / 20% strip) car. Drivability is a major issue. Its getting an XFI system when the time comes, I dont know if that system controls the tranny too...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am trying to find a decent shifter now for the 4L80E....no one makes one that I really like....(not many out there)
What is every one else using for a shifter?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've got a Gear Vendors unit behind my Dedenbear cased glide. It's a Procharger car. My fastest pass is 1.23 / 5.32 / 8.33. With 3.89 Gears, 29" tall tires, in OD, it cruises about 2200 RPM @ 65 MPH. I really like the combination. Only drawback is it wil cost ya. I think I got about 8K in the trans / GV, & Converter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts