Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im doing a rotation right now at oakwood hospital in the metro detroit area. Well the nurse I am following logs onto the oakwood internet and theres a thing about smoking. We click on it and take a look, as of october 1st, 2011 oakwood will now be doing drug testing as a pre employment screening but instead of just the regular drug test they are adding nicotine to the list. They stated that if you have nicotine in your system and test positive they will not hire you. This is so that they can work towards healthier staff and promoting better health.

Now as a non smoker I like the Idea because I dont like the smell of after smoke.

But I do believe this is prejudice against smokers and that they cant do this, though it may be legal do not hire a potential worker because of it I feel as though its going to cause some major law suit issues. I see where they could be coming from because if your a smoker you employer may have to pay higher health insurance costs but still I think it is UNHEARD of to do this.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
smoking is not something you were born doing... so its not predjudice to not hire someone for the choices they make. smoking is a choice not a ethnicity.... im tired of the smokers and drinkers and just unhealthy people in general raising my insurance premiums because they choose to eat too much, not exercise, drink and smoke.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Its gonna cause a big stink, but fact is.. if its a private corp they can hire who the fuck they want. They dont have to hire anyone, except a few blacks and mexicans to keep the quota right.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i totally agree with you guys but i just think its a bit discriminating obviously its been run over by their legal department and correct, but i mean whats next caffeine isnt good for are they gonna test you for that and then say you cant have coffee or a pop? I understand where they are coming from with the cost of insurance and the healthy promotion from staff, I just have to think whats next? I hate smoking to a T cant stand the smell so glad the restaurants around here stopped it so that I can eat with clean air but at the same time to each his own.

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
I'm not a smoker, but if they want to smoke ( in designated areas) then let them go for it. Doesn't hurt me in anyway.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Its a drug no different than any other. It amazes me how much money people spend on smoking. I think its sad to see people put THAT as such a high priority in their life.

I know we are retardedly spending money on going fast and having fun but smoking is like cutting your arm and letting it heal and then doing it all over again a few minutes later...

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
Hope they test for alcohol, anything genetic, the serial killer gene, if you have dangerous hobbies like drag racing, and if you are a YB junkie because all of those will effect your ability to work too. I guess that smoking effects my ability to do my job, are you fucking kidding me? When are employers going to treat everything else just like smoking? Being Fat, Drinking, Danagerous Hobbies, ect. Just don't hire anyone. FUCK IT!

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Hope they test for alcohol, anything genetic, I guess that smoking effects my ability to do my job, are you fucking kidding me? Being Fat, Drinking, Danagerous Hobbies
It does effect your ability to do the job because smokers miss more work then non smokers.

You make the choice to smoke and they have the choice of not hiring you win win IMO.

I know you'll never see a obese person working for me,it projects a lack of discipline and self control.

·
Capri For Sale
12,606 Posts
It does effect your ability to do the job because smokers miss more work then non smokers.

You make the choice to smoke and they have the choice of not hiring you win win IMO.

I know you'll never see a obese person working for me,it projects a lack of discipline and self control.

Yeah right, who's the fat girl in the picture?

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Yeah right, who's the fat girl in the picture?
The 5' 6" 143lb women to my right is my daughter in law.........and the 6'2" 265 lb guy is me.........if we meet sometime maybe you can tell me how fat she is.;)

I guarantee you would piss down your leg you old fuck if I moved on you...........But I doubt you would say anything face to face because I tend to intimidate people by my presence........keyboard balls are imaginery.........

·
Registered
7,218 Posts

I concur.

More breaks, when they get sick its worse and longer, if they are old you could be footing the medical bill for something more serious.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Smokers have a higher insurance rate, which they have to pay for. Not to mention the constant smoke breaks. I probably wouldn't hire someone for those reasons, not to mention the fucking smell even after they are done. That is worse than the smoke.

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts

You are a fucking moronic, disgusting, fucking asshole. You are a piss poor excuse for a human being too. Who the fuck gave you the right to judge others based on their weight? Also, show me all the studies that you have read that state that smokers miss more work than non smokers? Let me guess, that is just one of your genius fucking thoughts with no proof!
Genetics if a lack of discipline and self control? That is fucking awesome. Maybe you and JustinP should hold hands and walk off a short fucking pier together!
Just a thought :finga:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
You are a fucking moronic, disgusting, fucking asshole. You are a piss poor excuse for a human being too. Who the fuck gave you the right to judge others based on their weight? Also, show me all the studies that you have read that state that smokers miss more work than non smokers? Let me guess, that is just one of your genius fucking thoughts with no proof!
Genetics if a lack of discipline and self control? That is fucking awesome. Maybe you and JustinP should hold hands and walk off a short fucking pier together!
Just a thought :finga:
Fat smoker right here.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Smokers have a higher insurance rate, which they have to pay for. Not to mention the constant smoke breaks. I probably wouldn't hire someone for those reasons, not to mention the fucking smell even after they are done. That is worse than the smoke.
Oh fuck I've been confronted with the worst post-smoke breath ever. Older woman, talks a lot, close talker, heavy smoker, heavy coffee.

Legendary around my old job.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
Not hiring because of smoking is nothing new. Smokers cost more when it comes to insurance so if the company is paying some or all of the insurance than the smoker is a bigger liability. Some companies even have stipulations as to what the persons extracurricular activities can be. Companies invest time and money in employees and if that person is into base jumping or something like that they may be more apt to not be able to perform their job. Statistically smokers have more health issues and miss more time, liability, I'm all for it because I hate smoking.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts