Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Built an LQ9 based 408 this February with single 88mm S500 in my F-Body. Ran pretty aggressive timing with car while still hot air using C16, assume that's where the head gaskets started failing. Since car the car is intercooled now and has gone 8.70 @ 162. Though that was just last week felt car had been dropping off and has been pushing coolant for a while. I was using ARP studs in my PRC heads torqued to 85lbs with moly lube and cometic gaskets. Just tore down and found 5 of 8 leaking! I see many variations of sealing - what would work for street use too? Copper ring in block with MLS gasket? Or steel ring with Graphite gasket? Ring and receiver groove?

I am running 20lbs - looking to go to 24-25 range.

Still running stock LS2 intake - Hope to swap to Vic soon.. Also had been wondering - I am running 4" downpipe to bumper/fender exit - Anyone thing a 5" would pick me up any once back together?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disappointing, I have been trying to be a member here for over a year. Post twice, all this knowledge and can't get a single reply.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Disappointing, I have been trying to be a member here for over a year. Post twice, all this knowledge and can't get a single reply.
Post pics of your girls tits and see what happens just saying :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post pics of your girls tits and see what happens just saying :p
I would assume that may get some responses.. However being I am tired of looking at them, and want to seal my heads to block, I would rather deal with that first. Then I can start posting milk glands. I would like to see your girls tits though! Always have time for someone elses tits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear but knew it was coming. You already heard my advice
They have been pushing since hot air and lower boost. I Knew it would happen too. Should have went 1/2 studs when I built, but let some people talk me out of.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
I would assume that may get some responses.. However being I am tired of looking at them, and want to seal my heads to block, I would rather deal with that first. Then I can start posting milk glands. I would like to see your girls tits though! Always have time for someone elses tits.
Just trying to help you out brother . Ooooo and I posted more tits and ass then 90 percent on here :p

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Unlikely what you want to hear but I'll give you my opinion. I think if you are pushing water with a good tuneup/fuel with standard studs, LS9 gaskets and good heads (not milled to fuck) your money is better spent on a 6-bolt block.

I know some people want to make 2khp on a stock block but I don't think it's money well spent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unlikely what you want to hear but I'll give you my opinion. I think if you are pushing water with a good tuneup/fuel with standard studs, LS9 gaskets and good heads (not milled to fuck) your money is better spent on a 6-bolt block.

I know some people want to make 2khp on a stock block but I don't think it's money well spent.

Granted, I would agree that is probably the correct route. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Route I took..LSX with 1/2 studs and thick dek heads

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Route I took..LSX with 1/2 studs and thick dek heads
I would think mls gaskets with 1/2 in bolts would hold with only 25 pounds of boost ? But I don't know much about them blocks

·
Registered
917 Posts
Post this in the LS forum. Guys will write back. Make sure decks are true. It seems guys get best results with g.m. gaskets. Dont think o-ring is needed for 24lbs. Look into some of the 4 bolt threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
653 Posts
How heavy is the car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Post this in the LS forum. Guys will write back. Make sure decks are true. It seems guys get best results with g.m. gaskets. Dont think o-ring is needed for 24lbs. Look into some of the 4 bolt threads. Good luck!

Thank you guys for reply, I will repost in LSX forums.

Seems I have been hearing the same, that maybe cometic were not the best choice. Rather ls9s are the way to go.

Skinnies the car weighs 3550.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Slap in some ls9 gaskets, get the tune up right and should be fine.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
1/2" studs, Clark copper gaskets, SS o-ring with proper protrusion for gasket thickness, receiver groove in head and be done with it. If you make this setup leak (which can happen with wrong tuneup, no different than any other engine) you are going to just start over with a complete 6 bolt setup set up the same way. External water lines under the exhaust ports may be another bandaid if it's leaking in that area and is commonly used on some heads such as the All Pro's especially when running gasoline. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts