Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive got a 408 small block ford,afr 205s,super vic and Holly HP carb.What kind of fuel pressure should I be running on the Carb and Nitrous setup.Nitrous side fuel is a dead head and I have a return on the Carb side.I was told to run high fuel pressure on the NX setup 10PSI or more is this true?

Last time at track ran good out of the hole but 2nd was weak and when I went to 3rd I had flames come from under the Hood.I tried 3 times total with same results each time.Seemed to do better with less total timing.I was running 6PSI on the carb and 10 on the Nitrous side.200 shot and 30 total timing.Nitrous pressure was 1000.Any ideas I now have the motor out because of this found metel in the engine.Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
Hey guys Ive got a 408 small block ford,afr 205s,super vic and Holly HP carb.What kind of fuel pressure should I be running on the Carb and Nitrous setup.Nitrous side fuel is a dead head and I have a return on the Carb side.I was told to run high fuel pressure on the NX setup 10PSI or more is this true?

Last time at track ran good out of the hole but 2nd was weak and when I went to 3rd I had flames come from under the Hood.I tried 3 times total with same results each time.Seemed to do better with less total timing.I was running 6PSI on the carb and 10 on the Nitrous side.200 shot and 30 total timing.Nitrous pressure was 1000.Any ideas I now have the motor out because of this found metel in the engine.Thanks for any help

Bummer, I guess the last sentence sums it up for now..

Regardless, you need to get a better tune in that system. The N/X tunes are way to rich and it also sounds like you were overtimed as well.. Safe to say it had some plugs missing ground straps too ?? SJ

·
Registered
720 Posts
not sure why they have both but nx has settings for 5-6 psi and 8-10 psi. if you got the jet card with it it will say on the bottom what pressure it is for. Steve is right mine was way rich

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugs are unhurt.I drove my truck home fine.I only found the metel when I changed the oil.Plugs didnt look lean but I didnt check them at end of track,Checked them in the pits.Ive got the engine down to the short block now but not sure where the metel came from yet.Few pieces of metel are the size of like if you trimmed your finger nails down,and smaller.

It did seem to run better with less timing.What is normal timing for my setup then?I kinda thought 30 total was ok.Thanks guys

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HP
N20
Gasoline
Alcohol
E85
HP
N20
Gasoline
Alcohol
E85

This is what im running 57 Nitrous and 41 fuel it says run this with 10PSI fuel pressure flowing.I assume that means 10psi on the nitrous fuel pump correct?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've had good success running their low pressure tune ups, but Steve is right. They are usually on the fat side and I end up pulling fuel. I've never tried their high pressure tuneups.

What's the compression and what fuel? What did you find in the engine?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comp is only 9-1 and running 110 with some 93 in it.I found some metel the size of cut finger nail clippings in the engine.Ive been reading and seems Im running to much total timing 30-32.

·
Registered
880 Posts
10psi flowing would usually indicate 10psi through the appropriately sized jet, or through a 73. Depending only whatever school of thought you believe in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you guys suggest I run timing at.I dont have a box to pull timing out.Ive just been running 30 Total timing locked at the distributer.
NX stage 6 gemini twin HP serious kit on 200 shot
AFR 205s
super vic
Holley HP
Long tube headers stepped
9-1 comp Ross pistons
Steel crank
4 bolt Motorsport block
comp cams custom grind Hdy roller.
C6 trans with reverse valve body
This is in my 95 Ford Lightning truck

Last time at track It ran great out of the hole 1.59 short time but only ran 7.4 in the 1/8 and on that pass it had weak 2nd gear and when I went to third gear raised the pin on hood up with flames hehe.I feel this truck should run solid 6s in the 1/8

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing at the time I ran it like this I had only one fuel pump a king sumo pump.I ran two regs one to carb with a return and one reg to the nitrous that was dead head.Im used to blower setups so im not 100 percent on the nitrous stuff.Any tips or changes I should make?
Im now running the king sumo pump to the carb with a return and have added a fuel cell and holley blue pump to feed the Nitrous full that is dead head.
Thanks so much guys now I have to get engine to shop

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i use to run nx stuff. i still tune it and turn people on to better stuff. but like steve said there stuff is way FAT....the ls1 i have been tuning we had to pull the 10psi tune down to 7psi to even start cleaning the plugs.

i put a nos noid on the plate with the 10psi pressure it ran decent. went bigshot ran a lot better then the nx twin ever did.

if you want to keep the plate send it to steve and get a better tune up for it dont go by nx tunes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
NX plates are nice been running one for a couple of years. I like the no spray bar setup. But yes they are on the fat side. My 200 shot which is 57N41F from NX which on the dyno made 205 extra at the wheels was swapped out for 61N42F and made 218 over base and cleaned the plugs up nice. As far as timing not sure what SBF like. I run 34 locked timing on the crank trigger and pull 6 degrees. But run C16 fuel.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I pull 4 degrees on 100, 5-6 on everything higher than that. Same plate. 418 sbf 11.4 compression with 114 fuel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats the proper way you guys check total timing or set it?Ive done it buy holding RPMs pretty high and use timing light and set at 30 and then lock dist down.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run a MSD box and distributor not sure how you lock it out then, if what I said above isnt the right way to do it.Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok i did some looking and says I have to go into the dizzy to lock it out.I have not done that I think I know why my truck didnt run right and hurt the engine.So say I ran the engine up to 4 grand in park and turned the dizzy until I got 30 degrees of timing thats way off?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts