1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Trouble Maker, So Im told
4,433 Posts
VERY

·
Registered
407 Posts
I work for a very large ag business and as one of my jobs there I merchandised/sold byproducts of our corn processing facilities. I have visited some of the largest beef cattle yards in NE, IA , KS and MN and never once seen the type of conditions they portrayed in that video. The largest yard I visited was in KS where they had over 110,000 head of cattle on site in confinement. Sure you could smell the place 5 miles away and the flies were so thick you didnt open your mouth very wide to breath but the cattle were far from mistreated. Every yard that I have visited has a certain remote pin that they refer to as the "hospital" The yard hands inspect the confinment pins several times per day looking for injured or sick cattle that they then relocate to the hospital where they are cared for and nursed back to health. Its a huge business the last thing they need is for a sick cow to infect any other nearby cows. The yards that I visited usually had one or more on site ruminant nutritionist that carry Phd degrees. Feeding cattle for max gains is a science and a huge business......its not somewhere where cowboys go beat and shock cattle for kicks. As for chicken and hog farms....never been there.

Gotta go....my burger is getting cold.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I work for a very large ag business and as one of my jobs there I merchandised/sold byproducts of our corn processing facilities. I have visited some of the largest beef cattle yards in NE, IA , KS and MN and never once seen the type of conditions they portrayed in that video. The largest yard I visited was in KS where they had over 110,000 head of cattle on site in confinement. Sure you could smell the place 5 miles away and the flies were so thick you didnt open your mouth very wide to breath but the cattle were far from mistreated. Every yard that I have visited has a certain remote pin that they refer to as the "hospital" The yard hands inspect the confinment pins several times per day looking for injured or sick cattle that they then relocate to the hospital where they are cared for and nursed back to health. Its a huge business the last thing they need is for a sick cow to infect any other nearby cows. The yards that I visited usually had one or more on site ruminant nutritionist that carry Phd degrees. Feeding cattle for max gains is a science and a huge business......its not somewhere where cowboys go beat and shock cattle for kicks. As for chicken and hog farms....never been there.

Of course these assholes find the worst case scenario to bolster their argument and spread their propaganda!!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

X2, I grew up near the largest feedlot in the world and when the wind was blowing from the south you could smell it for miles...it was over 30 miles from where we lived but that feedlot employed alot of people in the Texas panhandle and fed alot more people that that! When I smell cowshit today I think of that feedlot...I need to fire the grill up, all this is making me hungry.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.